Thread: Advice needed to biamp JBL XPL200's please

Advice needed to biamp JBL XPL200's please

I've recently picked up a pair of the JBL XPL200's I'm running a Yamaha P-2200 amplifier and I very much enjoy it's sound. Specs would indicate the power handling capability of the XPL200's to be 200w continuous, 800w max. Would bi-amping them with a pair of P-2200 amps be enough comfortable power ? The P-2200 is rated at 250wpc/8ohm and the XPL200's are rated as being a 6ohm load. Thanks for your expert advice on this.

I recently bi-amped my pair using an Ashly crossover with 2 Ashly mosfet amps at about 300 wpc for each channel. I have been playing around with the crossover set between 400-500hz and it sounds very good. Have not had time to do much but listen lately. I plan to play with the settings a little more when I get time. You should be fine as the P-2200is a fine amp and has more than enough power for the XPL200's.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    I recently bi-amped my pair using an Ashly crossover with 2 Ashly mosfet amps at about 300 wpc for each channel. I have been playing around with the crossover set between 400-500hz and it sounds very good. Have not had time to do much but listen lately. I plan to play with the settings a little more when I get time. You should be fine as the P-2200is a fine amp and has more than enough power for the XPL200's.
    And I do appreciate that my Brother.
    I may pick your brain regarding active xovers in the very near future if that's alright with you.
    As I'm hoping but doubtful I'll get my hands on a DX-1 anytime soon.
    Thanks again.

Yes I would love to have a dx1 also but a lottery jackpot win is just as likely.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by detroit-rock View Post
    I've recently picked up a pair of the JBL XPL200's I'm running a Yamaha P-2200 amplifier and I very much enjoy it's sound. Specs would indicate the power handling capability of the XPL200's to be 200w continuous, 800w max. Would bi-amping them with a pair of P-2200 amps be enough comfortable power ? The P-2200 is rated at 250wpc/8ohm and the XPL200's are rated as being a 6ohm load. Thanks for your expert advice on this.
    This sort of begs the question - Are you currently running out of power? What is your motivation to give them more power?

I've never had a pair of XPL200s but I have a pair of L100Ts which use the same 2214H woofer. I had them powered by a P2201 (exact same as P2200 but no meters) and found that I was able to use all 230+ wpc that the P2201 had to offer, especially when playing bass heavy content. I was eventually able to acquire a matching P2201. I never tried bi-amping, but what I did was bridge each P2201 for ~700wpc. With that much power behind it, the 2214H is simply able to perform at a level that it wasn't capable of before, with the sort of output many subwoofers aren't even capable of. Since you have two P2200's, it would be very interesting to try this sort of config with those XPL200s. Only catch is that when you bridge an amp you halve he impedance, so powering an 8ohm speaker (as in my case with the L100Ts) appears as a 4ohm load. The 6ohm XPL200s would appear as a 3ohm load - which might be pushing it for the P2200 as these amps, though very powerful, are not exactly known for their high current output.

Mainly just asking because if you actually need more power, and your main reason is the 2214H gobbling it all up as it was in my case, biamping would obviously still have you powering both 2214H woofers with just a single P2200. That might not be much of an upgrade.

"This sort of begs the question - Are you currently running out of power? What is your motivation to give them more power?"
    I can't think of any speaker I have ever used, or listened to, that didn't improve by bi-amping it....especially 20-40 year old ones with dried up old passive crossovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    I can't think of any speaker I have ever used, or listened to, that didn't improve by bi-amping it....especially 20-40 year old ones with dried up old passive crossovers!
    I wasn't necessarily suggesting that he not bi-amp. He asked:

Quote Originally Posted by detroit-rock View Post
    Would bi-amping them with a pair of P-2200 amps be enough comfortable power ?
    And my question was in response to that, in the context of determining if he would have enough power or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    I wasn't necessarily suggesting that he not bi-amp. He asked:

And my question was in response to that, in the context of determining if he would have enough power or not.
    The P2200 is ample power to drive the 200's well enough to satisfy me.
    I'm not actually feeling the "need" for more power: its more of a "want" or me.
    I have the pair of amps and the 200's are bi amp capable so I'm basically "wanting" to bi amp them.
    I'm not a "tech" kind of guy and I'm guessing the mids and tweeters in these aren't that easy to find/replace so I'd rather not damage them.
    I was merely asking the opinions of the veterans with experience whether it's a good idea.
    And I'd gladly welcome opinions/advice on running an active xover set up on them too.
    They sound awesome to me "as is" but if going active improves the sound I'm all for it
    (I'm already seeking a pair of XPL90s for rear sound as I feel the XPL line up would make for an awesome surround set-up.)

I agree..the 2214H is among the best 12" woofer I've used.
    I run a pair JBL L112's on another system and while the 128H is an excellent 12", the 2214H is a better sounding woofer to me.
    I have to wonder if the 2214H will fit the L112 cabinet and if it would improve the sound of the L112.
    Not that it really needs improving....the 112's are excellent !!

Thanks again for all the input gentlemen.

Thread Information