Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec Lansing Model 19 crossover...repair? or replace?

Quote Originally Posted by catangen View Post
    @ convergence....I just tried setting up the wooker direct to the amp and it works just fine, I run it through the cross over pack and it sends the amp into protection. It does this if I run high and low both, and it does this if I run just the low or just the high.
    Ok now we know for sure . GPA NEW "CROSS OVER" ARE BETTER THAN THE OLD ONES , they don't have caps that leak.

I would certainly buy them . That gives you a system worth 10 K and eventually where an upgrade in your amp would make a difference like Mcintosh for example.

Good luck your a lucky guy !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CONVERGENCE View Post
    Ok now we know for sure . GPA NEW "CROSS OVER" ARE BETTER THAN THE OLD ONES , they don't have caps that leak.

I would certainly buy them . That gives you a system worth 10 K and eventually where an upgrade in your amp would make a difference like Mcintosh for example.

Good luck your a lucky guy !!!
    Well i dont know about being worth $10k, but i got into them right and even with the new diaphragms and new GPA crossovers, and recovering the grilles with new cloth i will be into them for less than $1k. So i think i will have done pretty good. Especially seeing as the cabinets are in pretty good shape. i would say an easy 8.5 out of 10. the only bad spots on the are on the back bottom corners. They have some signs of being scooted around a bit on the carpet but that about the most significant wear area. No customary plant ring on the top even. They came with the smoked glass tops and by looking at the tops of the cabinets, the glass was used as it should have been. Over all they are in great shape, after recovering the grilles they should be the focal point of any room.

Buying the GPA N1200 crossover is a smart move. They will sound better than the 40-yr old stock crossover, that's for sure.
    I agree with rvito, you should keep the original stock crossovers so if you do decide to ever part with the speakers, you'll have the complete original equipment. Most collectors would want that, and including them would most likely increase the value of your sale more than what you'd make off of selling the inoperable crossovers by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    Buying the GPA N1200 crossover is a smart move. They will sound better than the 40-yr old stock crossover, that's for sure.
    I agree with rvito, you should keep the original stock crossovers so if you do decide to ever part with the speakers, you'll have the complete original equipment. Most collectors would want that, and including them would most likely increase the value of your sale more than what you'd make off of selling the inoperable crossovers by themselves.
    I did buy the n1200 units from GPA, Not the most user friendly things to use. They came with no mounting brackets or hardware so i had to have those fabricated, no big deal as i am a mechanical designer for a fully outfitted manufacturing company. Also some of the solder joints connecting the leads to the pcb were weak and had to be redone, again, no big deal. Not sure how they sound yet, i am still in the reassembly stage of the process. I want to treat the wood cabinets with Restore a Finish before i put the horns and woofers back in. But just on appearance you can tell that these are much better quality crossovers than the originals. I think i will be very happy with them. I decided to get the N1200's from GPA after not being able to find anyone to fix the one bad original, as luck, or should i say as bad luck would have it, just after i received the new N1200's i find out that a friend of a friend is an electronics tech for a local TV station. i sent the bad crossover to him and in just a day or two i had it back good as new with spare caps to boot. So...i do have the originals, they are now both in working order and i think i will follow the advise of keeping them with the speakers so they can be put back to original if someone desires. I hope that does end up increasing the value as these Model 19's will unfortunately be more than likely be up for sale soon. At the price i paid for them i considered it a good value, but i did so assuming they were in working condition. with the cost of the repairs added in i think it has pushed my investment, although still probably a good value, beyond what i can afford for yet another set of speakers. Especially since i now live in a smaller apartment and will never really be able to take full advantage of what they have to offer.

Thread Information