Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec Lansing Model 19 crossover...repair? or replace?

Altec Lansing Model 19 crossover...repair? or replace?

Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to Altec Lansing in general. I recently purchased a pair of Model 19's and am having some issues. Neither unit was working 100%, I disassembled them and took as many good parts as I had and made one fully functioning and glorious sounding speaker, the other is going to need a little work. It has 802-8b horn drivers and 416-8z woofers. I have one driver diaphragm that was bad so I followed some advice found here and contacted Bill at Great Plains Audio and have a proper replacement on the way. The second issue with this speaker is that the crossover pack is causing the amp (pioneer sa9100) to go into protection. I removed this pack and installed it into the working speaker and the problem follows along it so I am relatively certain the problem lays somewhere in the electronics package and not in the speakers themselves. Bill at GPA has told me that he does not work on these himself and pointed me in the direction of local electronics shop, of which I have none that I trust. I am looking for some advise as to weather this should or could be repaired by someone not familiar with ALTEC or is this something that could be handled by anyone in the business of repairing any type of electronic gear? Or, is this something that is generally completely replaced by something new and more modern???

Here is a link to a slide show of photos of the crossover pack in question...

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/ca...r1%20crossover

rvito
    If you can use a soldering gun just repair. I just re capped my 19s along with new resistors.its very simple to do and perform the ground mod as well.

the crossover pack is causing the amp (pioneer sa9100) to go into protection. I removed this pack and installed it into the Here is a link to a slide show of photos of the crossover pack in question...

DID YOU TRY conecting a single driver "the woofer" on your Pioneer to determine that it's your cross over ?

That happened to me once and it was my receiver not my cross over which are 40 years old.

I bought a new receiver and evry thing was fine.

You can connect a single woofer it's impedance is 8 ohms.

By the way that happened to me after I had my duplex reconed with spyder and all.

Eventually I will have someone at the engineering electronics department university rebuild my XO.

Quote Originally Posted by CONVERGENCE View Post
    the crossover pack is causing the amp (pioneer sa9100) to go into protection. I removed this pack and installed it into the Here is a link to a slide show of photos of the crossover pack in question...

DID YOU TRY conecting a single driver "the woofer" on your Pioneer to determine that it's your cross over ?

That happened to me once and it was my receiver not my cross over which are 40 years old.

I bought a new receiver and evry thing was fine.

You can connect a single woofer it's impedance is 8 ohms.

By the way that happened to me after I had my duplex reconed with spyder and all.

Eventually I will have someone at the engineering electronics department university rebuild my XO.
    ....yes i did try to connecting to just the woofer and the problem still persisted, i them removed the crossover pack and connected it to the other woofer the problem flowed along, i tried it with both woofers and both speakers fully connected as well as trying it on both left and right channels of the amp and the problem was always where this particular crossover was. The right channel would work fine, i put this crossover in and the problem occurred, pulled it out and put the other crossover back in, and it worked fine. took the right side cross over out and put it in the left speaker and it worked fine, took it back out and put the original left side crossover back in and the problem returned. where ever this particular crossover was, regardless of left or right channel or what speaker combination, the problem always occurred where this particular crossover pack was.

Quote Originally Posted by rvito View Post
    If you can use a soldering gun just repair. I just re capped my 19s along with new resistors.its very simple to do and perform the ground mod as well.
    I do know how to use a soldering iron. i do not know how to wire crossovers though. when it comes these type of components, where one person sees inductors and conductors and caps and diodes, i see white things, and black things, and brown things with goo on the ends and an occasional doohickey that hangs off the little spool of red wires......So i am not going to try it. lol

I did just get off the phone with Bill at Great Plains Audio and he does not work on these, but he does sell a complete replacement that is much better quality than the original. So much so its too heavy to mount of the front plate like the originals, these i guess need to mounted to the bottom of the cabinet. So i have decided to go that route for both speakers. i will probably put the originals up on ebay one working and one needing work and let somebody else more qualified make them into a working pair again.

@ Convergence....oh i see what you are saying now, no i did not connect the woofer itself directly to the amp. that never even crossed my mind. i will do that when i get home tonight just to check it out and be sure, but i think i have pretty well narrowed it down to the crossover pack. But hey, who knows, its sure worth trying...thanks for the idea.

rvito
    Quote Originally Posted by catangen View Post
    I did just get off the phone with Bill at Great Plains Audio and he does not work on these, but he does sell a complete replacement that is much better quality than the original. So much so its too heavy to mount of the front plate like the originals, these i guess need to mounted to the bottom of the cabinet. So i have decided to go that route for both speakers. i will probably put the originals up on ebay one working and one needing work and let somebody else more qualified make them into a working pair again.
    Not to chime in but I would keep the originals in case you ever sell these as aftermarket ones might diminish the value

Quote Originally Posted by rvito View Post
    Not to chime in but I would keep the originals in case you ever sell these as aftermarket ones might diminish the value
    Not a bad Idea. I did have that in mind but I thought a new high quality functioning crossover would ad value over one that I broken. But I will keep that in mind, it is a valid point.

...did you check to see if the crossover attinuator was mucked up and just needs some simple cleaning? I would NOT swap out the crossovers....

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ...did you check to see if the crossover attinuator was mucked up and just needs some simple cleaning? I would NOT swap out the crossovers....
    I wouldn't know what an attenuator is if you threw it at me. lol. Can you tell me why you wouldn't swap out the crossovers? even for ones built by from what I can tell is the leading expert on Altecs? Is your opinion due to dollar value based or based on your preference for things being original or is actuially performance based ?

All I know is that I took the crossover pack and all the wiring out and put it in other speaker and the problem followed along with it.

@ convergence....I just tried setting up the wooker direct to the amp and it works just fine, I run it through the cross over pack and it sends the amp into protection. It does this if I run high and low both, and it does this if I run just the low or just the high.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ok, learned something today, as for the attenuator, I can l see inside them somewhat and from what I can see, they look very clean.

Quote Originally Posted by catangen View Post
    You're better off with Bill Hanuschak's new M19 networks. With his you have no need for that silly variable L-Pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    You're better off with Bill Hanuschak's new M19 networks. With his you have no need for that silly variable L-Pad.
    I was thinking that Bill's replacement would be worth while but there seems to be some opposition to that. Are you familiar with them? How does his differ with regards to the L-pad? from what he has told me they should work and look exactly the same. I am not familiar with them at all except for there seem to be a lot of people that praise them.

Thread Information