Thread: DBX 223XS or Driverack PA+

DBX 223XS or Driverack PA+

Guys, quick question - which of these two sounds better? I only need 300Hz/24dB 2-way xover and the sound quality is what matters for me and tbh. I might also use the DSP.

I have a overhauled bss FDS360 now but it is still problematic so I want to replace it with something brand new that won't make my 4343's sound like kitchen radio.

Yes I know that the PA+ costs twice as much as the 223 but if it sounds better I will go for it. I had Behringer DCX and CX3400 but I didn't like them, the DCX sounded digital and CX3400 was noisy and thin sounding.

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Guys, quick question - which of these two sounds better? I only need 300Hz/24dB 2-way xover and the sound quality is what matters for me and tbh. I might also use the DSP.

I have a overhauled bss FDS360 now but it is still problematic so I want to replace it with something brand new that won't make my 4343's sound like kitchen radio.

Yes I know that the PA+ costs twice as much as the 223 but if it sounds better I will go for it. I had Behringer DCX and CX3400 but I didn't like them, the DCX sounded digital and CX3400 was noisy and thin sounding.
    Hallo!

PA+ is much better Have the 223XL as well, no comparison.

Instead on laying in the wardrobe and collect dust I have it connected in my system with 4429. Had it on for 24/7 since 4 years. Never any problemo.

It has no effect on the sound if I don't use it or use it in the system. Had some serious test when I had my JBL 4319.

I don't use any settings, just pass-thru.

This sounds interesting! I was unsure about digital processors as they sometimes tend to sound 'synthetic' and metallic in the highs.

Mctwins
    This sounds interesting! I was unsure about digital processors as they sometimes tend to sound 'synthetic' and metallic in the highs.
    Regarding metallic in highs, absolutely not. I had it on my PRX600 series at first then bought the dbx260 to my PRX600. Before this I drove it without dbx but must say, connected in bi-amp mode with the dbx sounds better.

Don't worry, it will come no harm connecting a Driverack in your system. You have lots of settings, like high-shelf, low-shelf, x-over setings, x-over gain and so on.

I would consider the newer Driverack PA2, nice

I saw the PA2 too but i'm not sure if it worth the €150 extra if the only difference are gimmicks like ethernet connection and android app so you can configure it from your tablet

The PA+'s cost around €350 and the PA2's are €500.

Mctwins
    I saw the PA2 too but i'm not sure if it worth the €150 extra if the only difference are gimmicks like ethernet connection and android app so you can configure it from your tablet

The PA+'s cost around €350 and the PA2's are €500.
    There seems to be some difference, read the manual between these two and you will see. I think it has more x-over settings, GEQ and PEQ and auto EQ is differen't.

Indeed, as I thought the PA2 has more gimmicks like 'auto eq wizard' and enhanced EQ corrections also a tiny bit better THD and SNR but almost for sure I will only use the crossover section so I guess the PA+ will be a more bank for buck solution.

Mctwins
    Indeed, as I thought the PA2 has more gimmicks like 'auto eq wizard' and enhanced EQ corrections also a tiny bit better THD and SNR but almost for sure I will only use the crossover section so I guess the PA+ will be a more bank for buck solution.
    PA+ will do just fine and is enough for your task.

Hi Martin,

for 4343 some improvements can be get with Xilica4080:

http://www.tandemsales.net/PDF Files...F Dec 2011.pdf

http://xilica.com/wp-content/uploads...nual_v0300.pdf

Regards
    ivica

Hi ivica,

I was looking at the Xillica's too but unfortunately they are out of my price range - almost €1200, that's three times the cost of a DBX unit.

I really doubt if it's a good idea to buy such an expensive processor while having stock 3143 networks inside.

Hi ivica,

I was looking at the Xillica's too but unfortunately they are out of my price range - almost €1200, that's three times the cost of a DBX unit.

I really doubt if it's a good idea to buy such an expensive processor while having stock 3143 networks inside.
    Hi Martin,

If talking about the price, I agree with You, the price is very, very high. But if You want to get as much as possible out of your 4343, multiple power amps solution would be the way.
    You can start with only bass separate amp with active network, and then to continue up to 4 amps per box solution.
    Unfortunately the sound character of the active network is different from the model to the model, and you have to decide what would be the best sounding combination by yourself . There are not so many 4-way stereo active networks on the market, DSP driven,....
    May be "mini-DSP" can be something acceptable or (if You are good in DSP algorithm, and programming) You can consult our members:
    POS [ http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...r.php?8209-pos ]
    more10 [ http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...p?14209-more10 ]

about using Analog Dev. ADSP-21469 EZ Kit board

http://www.analog.com/static/importe...an_rev.1.1.pdf

regards
    ivica

I'm already biamping with a BSS FDS-360 crossover, I have a Krell KSA-50 running the mid/hi section and Crown K2 driving the 2235H's.

I think that I won the "derp of the year" award.... a few people listened to my setup and complained that the bass was somehow 'misplaced' and missed definition and the BSS xover was the suspect.

I guess that I found the reason why the bass was strange:

Name:  foto.JPG
Views: 1669
Size:  157.9 KB

I recently acquired a dbx 223xl using it to biamp 4735x's. Before the dbx I tried a dod sr835 , behringer 2310 and pyle pro . The dbx matches up with he jbl's excellent and is much higher sound quality then the previous .

Thread Information