Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the K2 really the best choice for lows?

Is the K2 really the best choice for lows?

Most of the time when you see bi-amped speakers like JBL you also see the Crown K-2 running the lows but is it the ultimate amp for that duty?

(without mentioning the megabuck stuff of course)

I wouldn't say its the ultimate but they have several things going for them. They are reasonably powerful, have Crown reliability and are convection cooled although they run hot to the touch.

Funny that I never thought of it, but all three pairs of my big monitors are K2 driven.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I suspect my Studio Reference-II would be even better but then I've never owned a K2. I'd like to, just never got around to it. Never really found anything to complain about using the PS400 on the bottom on the 4345, though.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Guys, does your K2 sound like it's restarting from time to time? It doesn't affect the music but you can hear the transformator humming for about 1.5 secs, just like when the amp is starting up.

I'm not smart enough to link to another thread so I bumped a solution in Pro Amps.

All the best,
    Barry.

Hi Barry,
    Thanks but it seems to be something else as you can hear the trafo humming from time to time even if there is signal present or when it's sitting idle and the trafo itself is not loose to cause vibrations.

You got me, I have never heard mine do that with one exception. The power in my office/building has very noisy power and I mean it dirty. We have two 55 HP lathes that on braking/deceleration push against the grid and that buzzes every transformer in the shop and the building service transformer. You can even hear it in the PC powersupplies. I doubt that's your problem though.

Wish I could answer you.

All the best,
    Barry.

My K2 isded
    One channel lost power and when pushed hard it only makes popping sounds.
    Switched interlinks, speaker cables, crossovers - the problem is still there.

I probably can get it fixed but there's no one can guarantee that it won't die again in a few weeks/months. I'm considering replacing it with something else but with what? I was even thinking about some new, cheaper gear like American Audio VLP or Crown XLS...

The Crown Audio factory services these. I don't recall what the flat rate repair price is for them but I have had a couple of them repaired there. 380USD?

If you go on their website there is a service section that you can fill out a form and one of the gals there will email you and or call you to set up shipment and can quote you then.

That's the way I would go, no doubt.

Barry.

Well, the big problem is that the shipping costs to the USA would be massive, also when you look around here you can find a decent, working K2 for thhe same kind of money

Anyway I brought the amp to a tech that services all my gear, he said that he 'll take a look at it for free and if it's something big then the amp will most probably be sold as-is (or for parts)

I will be sending back the Driverack PA2 (decided to keep my analogue BSS unit) and so I will have a chance to order something else but I don't think that there is any good alternative for the K2
    I've been looking at the XLS2500 but geez, those are almost empty boxes where the K2's guts actually doesn't look worse than those from the new Macrotech's.

The tech checked the amp on a dummy load, pushed each channel at 4 ohm at max power - nothing!

I have no clue what's wrong with that thing, I tried different cables, even different crossovers.

Do you mean "nothing" as in no output or that nothing wrong can be detected by your service person?

protection relays or muting circuits?
    doesn't this unit have a 'signal presence' threshold as well as a startup delay?
    all switches clean?

... trying to think of what could cause a one channel issue that didn't involve
    blowing out the output devices.

First off, sorry I confused you with someone else that live in the US. You're right that shipping would be cost prohibitive.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Do you mean "nothing" as in no output or that nothing wrong can be detected by your service person?

protection relays or muting circuits?
    doesn't this unit have a 'signal presence' threshold as well as a startup delay?
    all switches clean?

... trying to think of what could cause a one channel issue that didn't involve
    blowing out the output devices.

Hi grumpy, with "nothing" I meant that the amp works perfect, he let it run for several hours on a dummy load and it works just fine, he can't find anything wrong with it.
    It's not a standby circuit issue, I tried with low and high signal from my Krell KRC-HR preamp and the problem was always related to 1 channel, I checked my speakers, speaker cables, interconnects and even a different crossover and I can't locate the problem.
    The K2 itself played fine on my Yamaha NS1000's but connected to the 2235H's the one channel acts weird.

I have no clue what's wrong, maybe it's cursed Anyway I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and give it another go.

perhaps there is an issue with connecting it to the driver (e.g., intermittent or partial short the amp is correctly shutting down from)?

Thread Information