Thread: L100t ,2238B....... need some suggestions on the right amp.

L100t ,2238B....... need some suggestions on the right amp.

Wanna use my 2238B as a pre-amp ..... Recently purchased a pair of L100t's and looking to drive them with something that will be worthy through my Marantz. Budget around $600. I would prefer something that is vintage and hopefully match up nicely within the budget I have read that even though the L100t's can handle more watts then I would ever play through them and can be very efficient with much less power, looking for just the right specs in an amp that will match up nicely with what I have. Yes I play a lot of vinyl but at times use my cassette deck as well the tuner in my 2238B So I'm reaching out to others for help in this matter, due to the experience, knowledge and others who own the same set of speakers, similar audio equipment who can advise on just the right power amp for me and my set up.

BTW I hope I posted this correctly under the right thread since I'm new to the forum and web site.

Dual 1245
    Marantz 5220
    Marantz 2238B
    Magnum DynaLab FM 205

Come on people.........I know at one time or another some have owned or close to this exact set up and pondered the exact question at hand......Gotta be someone who can hook me up with a favorable reply on choosing the right amp.

First, not even 12-hours have elapsed since your first post. There's a good chance many have yet to see the thread.

Another reason for the overwhelming response could be there are hundreds of choices and, generally, you try something and see if you like the results. No one can tell you what your ears will hear.

Others may simply be thinking, "an amp's an amp", and many more would probably agree. Should there be a significant sound-quality difference between two name-brand amps of similar output? Are you looking for a statement-piece, or something that just sits there without screaming "look at me" and just creates clean amplification? Sort of like why use blue Quadrex grilles on an L100T3 when there's no such application and you'd have to kluge them to the existing fabric frame. If you want L100 Century speakers, just buy L100 Centuries.

Since you seem to be impatient for a reply, I'll give my standard opinion. I've used almost nothing but Crown amps with my JBLs for over 45-years. My preference is for the D-series or PS-series amps. Sure, you may not need too much power but I find even my L20Ts sound great with a 200-watts-per-channel PS400. I currently bi-amp my 4345s with a Crown PS400 and PS200. I previously used, and still have, the DC300A-II and D150A-II. I also have the D45, D75A, and D150, Studio Reference-II, and Power Line Three. I enjoy them all. The PS400 should work well for your L100Ts since they seem to work superbly with my 4412A, L112, L150A, L96, L80T, L1, L3, L5, and L7 systems. Of course the Crowns are likely to fall under your budget, so you might want to get three and see which you like best. You might even be able to sell them all at a profit if you don't like them. I've also had some Soundcraftsmen amps and my favorite is the Pro-Power-Four.

This will usually unleash the debate over using "pro" amps in a home system. Don't let that get in your way. You can always disguise them to look like consumer crap with a separate meter display or some blue Christmas lights.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

LOL. Thank you for the reply...........a bit impatient and always searching for the sound..........as Phil Lesh would say.......!! Will take your advice and look into a Crown PS 400 as well as Soundcraftsman Pro Power Four. BTW Nothing wrong with looking at eye candy that is vintage and sounds great especially when your listening to Clapton, The Dead and The Band.......Once again ......Thank you......!!

The L100T speakers certainly do love power

I had mine powered by a Pioneer SX1050 receiver (120wpc) and the move to my Yamaha M-2 amp (240wpc) resulted in a noticeable tightening of the bass especially at loud volumes. Still, these L100Ts can suck up so much power that they were easily taking everything my M-2 had to offer. I now power them using two bridged Yamaha P2201 amps (~700wpc).

It probably comes down to how you like to listen to your music and what kind of music you listen to. I like to listen to my my music loud and a lot of my music is somewhat bass heavy, which has a lot to do with my power needs. That 2214H woofer in the L100T can do some truly amazing things with enough power behind it

I recently got a pair . I noticed that these like the loudness settings more then other jbl's I have. Using a kenwood kr-9600 for now, but plan on running a ep2500 to them.

Not sure what the L100's can handle (though I know they sound excellent) but for my L112's it's the Yamaha P2200.
    And for the XPL200's it's a pair of Yamaha P2200's.
    For the XPL90's ( walnut grain when I find them) it will also be the Yamaha P2200.
    Did I mention suggesting trying a Yamaha P2200 ?
    Plenty of good clean power, solid construction, excellent sound and a great "bang for the buck".
    ......the meters are cool looking too

Quote Originally Posted by stang4u View Post
    Wanna use my 2238B as a pre-amp ..... Recently purchased a pair of L100t's and looking to drive them with something that will be worthy through my Marantz. Budget around $600. I would prefer something that is vintage and hopefully match up nicely within the budget I have read that even though the L100t's can handle more watts then I would ever play through them and can be very efficient with much less power, looking for just the right specs in an amp that will match up nicely with what I have. Yes I play a lot of vinyl but at times use my cassette deck as well the tuner in my 2238B So I'm reaching out to others for help in this matter, due to the experience, knowledge and others who own the same set of speakers, similar audio equipment who can advise on just the right power amp for me and my set up.

BTW I hope I posted this correctly under the right thread since I'm new to the forum and web site.

Dual 1245
    Marantz 5220
    Marantz 2238B
    Magnum DynaLab FM 205
    A used Bryston 4B.
    S4700 owner.

I power my L100t's with a Kenwood Basic M2A. The L100's seem pretty insatiable, power-wise, but the amp is more than capable of keeping them fed.

I put the 100t's on the ep2500 power amp using a McIntosh c24 preamp. I like it much better then the kenwood.

Thread Information