Thread: Can somebody point me to some good threads comparing Model 14 to Valencia?

Question Can somebody point me to some good threads comparing Model 14 to Valencia?

Been looking for some Valencias for some time, which I planned to tweak a little and maybe go to a larger box eventually. Haven't found any local, but I did run across a good deal on some Model 14s very near me. Should I settle for these or keep looking?

Level controls on one Mantaray seem inoperable, but all else is very good.

I don't really ahve room for more big speakers, but you know how that goes...

Thanks for any input!

-Bart

Quote Originally Posted by bart1 View Post
    Been looking for some Valencias for some time, which I planned to tweak a little and maybe go to a larger box eventually. Haven't found any local, but I did run across a good deal on some Model 14s very near me. Should I settle for these or keep looking?

Level controls on one Mantaray seem inoperable, but all else is very good.

I don't really have room for more big speakers, but you know how that goes...

Thanks for any input!

-Bart
    There is no comparison between the Model 14 and the 846 Valencia. The Model 14 has dome kind of a low frequency 12" woofer with a foam surround that will need replacing sooner or later, and that silly, obnoxious Mantaray horn. The 846 Valencia has the incomparable full range 15" 416A, and the astounding 811B horn. The Valencia out performs the Model 14 on many levels. The foot print of the Valencia is slightly larger only by inches than the Model 14, but that fact shouldn't be a decision breaker. The only difference between the H.F. drivers, is that the Model 14 driver has the Tangerine phase plug.

Personally, I like the tangential phase plug over the circumferential. It's to bad Henricksen & Ureda weren't allowed to finish designing the T-plug. If I were you I would hold out for the Valencia, and perhaps down the road load them with 902 drivers. I would also do away with the stock networks and replace them with a better crossover. The Valencias after all, have better resale value than the Model 14. I restored a pair of Valencias several years ago, and told the owner not to sell them. Against my advise he did anyway, and regrets it to this day.

H.F.

Thread Information