Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: JBL M2 Master Reference system okay for 2 channel home audio setup? ...

I've just got my newly acquired M2s up and working. Thanks to Thomas' great work I'm using the openDRC DIs. A Crown K2 is driving the woofers and a pair Ncore 400 monos are driving the CDs. As a temporary measure I'm using 2 Chinese DAC boards that cost all of $12 each. Even so the sound is superb 😀

Quote Originally Posted by iansr View Post
    I've just got my newly acquired M2s up and working. Thanks to Thomas' great work I'm using the openDRC DIs. A Crown K2 is driving the woofers and a pair Ncore 400 monos are driving the CDs. As a temporary measure I'm using 2 Chinese DAC boards that cost all of $12 each. Even so the sound is superb 😀
    I bet they do. I'm dying to hear a pair after all this time. Some of that cheap Chinese stuff sounds excellent.

I get away with 25w on the compression driver, since Im using 2450sl/be and no Lpad in the signal path.
    D2 with the network in place would require way more power to sing.

One alternative is to bypass the network and connect the two diaphragms in parallell instead of series, but now we are venturing into diy territory, and modification to the filter is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Hi Isave

You do not need 1200 watts per speaker that is a fact
    I have been using a crown DCI N4/300. and it's more than enough for a 3 m. Listening distance
    It all depends the volume you mix with

DCI do have a fan but it is a lot softer than the itech 5000 I also have

JBL has even put out the DCI tune in in their soft ware downloads

If your intention is a two way system you can use a Bss blu 50 which is fan less. And pair them with the amps of your desire Brystons 4b would do nicely and 14b should be vast for most applications

JBL synthesis uses a mark levinson 300watt per Chanel amp in their set up why would you not

By the way Bss units do have a fan only the Bss blu 50 is fan less
    Hi Valentin.

Are you still using the DCi 4|300 for the M2's?

I have 3 M2s coming to function as LCR in a home theater and I currently have one Crown CTs1200 (2x600w) pr. speaker and a BSS Soundweb as DSP. I would really like to simplify my setup, and the DCI amps with BLU-link are very interesting - especially the 8-channel versions where I can drive three speakers off one amp.

But I am split between the 8x300 and 8x600. The 8x600 is bigger, noisier and more expensive... As it will be used for movies, I need large amount of peak power. Do you (or others) have experience running the M2s on a 300w amp?

Quote Originally Posted by ISAVE View Post
    I'm sorry I already returned the I-tech 4x3500HD, I couldn't handle the floor noise of this amp or in other word the distortion; it's a great great great touring amp!! but not a studio nor home amp to my opinion.
    The -25db I put on the output, because the room can't handle much power, and just a trial to keep the fans working less.
    I will get tomorrow a pair of I-tech 5000HD from a local AV company and try them out. Based on papers they have signal-to-noise >112 and THD 0.1% , while the I-tech 4x3500HD has signal-to-noise >108 and THD 0.35%,
    So on papers, these should be less floor noise, and I already tested the fan noise, and it's 5 db less on them both compared to the 4x3500HD.
    I will update the thread once I did my test.
    I might be wrong, but I'm inclined to say that your impressions with the I-Tech 4x3500HD is caused by user error. Either wrong gain structure or something setup wrongly in the amp's DSP. I have heard the 4x3500HD myself and I have talked to numerous people having the amp with the M2s, and non of them mentions noise floor or distortion as an issue. "Not being able to handle noise floor and distortion" just sounds like you either "listen to the written specs" or something was setup incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Hi Valentin.

Are you still using the DCi 4|300 for the M2's?

I have 3 M2s coming to function as LCR in a home theater and I currently have one Crown CTs1200 (2x600w) pr. speaker and a BSS Soundweb as DSP. I would really like to simplify my setup, and the DCI amps with BLU-link are very interesting - especially the 8-channel versions where I can drive three speakers off one amp.

But I am split between the 8x300 and 8x600. The 8x600 is bigger, noisier and more expensive... As it will be used for movies, I need large amount of peak power. Do you (or others) have experience running the M2s on a 300w amp?
    Yes i am

for movies the 600 would have 3 more dB of headroom
    dependson size of the room

Mctwins
    Hallo!

Jonas h....

If you look at the owner manual at page 55 the 8/300N and 8/600N has the same fan noise, 47dB, this at "re dB SPL @ 1 M".

I would go for 8/600N, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    I'm currently running the dci 4x300N. It's been more than enough power for me except for when the wife and kids went out for the weekend and my M2's were moved into another room and Stravinsky's rite of spring was played. The "-10" light did come on during some of the last parts of part 2. Given the peak power needed I'd go for the 8x600 too!

Thanks for the replies!

Regarding fan noise, I see that they have the same fan-noise so one less issue I will go for the 600w version based on the input when the time is right and be happy with the CTs1200 (2x600w as well) in the meantime. Movies require large peak-power and I will feel safer with 600w.

Thread Information