Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My new JBL 4429

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I like this video....out performs any Class-A amp on the planet.

Something to learn...

Class-I technology rules

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I have been running in mono with my MC252 since I connected it and I must say, it is here to stay in this config. I had a fighting discussion with my twin brother regarding the price and finally it's mine.

He just orderd a Crown Macro-tech MA5000i to drive his 3731 M/HT instead of MC252 on his system. Yummie

It seems that the 4429 comes more alive with more power and it feels good.

HI

My impressions of the system is all good. This combo suites very nice togheter. The sound from the speakers is huge despite that it is an bookshelf speaker and located in a large acoustically treated room.

Hat off for this pair of speakers. It has it all.

Yes, it was hard descision to let go of my MC252 but as long as it stays in the house it feels little better I know that my bro will take care of this amp!

I will still have my McIntosh MC275 monos tubes in my system and these babies will stay forever. I will run my new MAi for the tops, changed betweeen the tubes, know and then, and will be an intresting comparison to see how well the Crown will keep up with the Mcintosh. But I am not worried because these are the two best amp out there, for me at least.

I will stay tuned when all is hooked up and running

Mctwins

Bi-amp vs Mono Bridged

Hallo!

Today I have done some measurement at my listening position(4,8 meters from speakers to LP) and compared between mono-bridge and Bi-amp with my 4429. Also measurerd only Low freq and High freq but just only in Bi-amp config. The mic was not moved during the measurement just reconnecting between Mono and Bi-amp on the amps and I had the same volume settings on my preamp, 60% on the display on my pre.

One can see that with mono there is higher SPL at my listeningposition compared with Bi-amp.

It sounded good with Bi-amp but there is more punch with Mono. I listening with the same song at 50% at the volume level, the Mono is better. Wounder why

Post some picture of the room and some measurements. There is NO EQ or X-over settings on my PA+. Both Low output and High output was OUT on the x-over in PA+.

First pic shows the mic behind the sofa
    Second pic shows mic behind sofa and the S-paper Wing moduls.
    Third pic shows me sitting in the LP

Green = Mono Bridged
    Red = Bi-amp
    Yellow= High freq
    Purple= Low freq

Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hallo!

Today I have done some measurement at my listening position(4,8 meters from speakers to LP) and compared between mono-bridge and Bi-amp with my 4429. Also measurerd only Low freq and High freq but just only in Bi-amp config. The mic was not moved during the measurement just reconnecting between Mono and Bi-amp on the amps and I had the same volume settings on my preamp, 60% on the display on my pre.

One can see that with mono there is higher SPL at my listeningposition compared with Bi-amp.

It sounded good with Bi-amp but there is more punch with Mono. I listening with the same song at 50% at the volume level, the Mono is better. Wounder why

Post some picture of the room and some measurements. There is NO EQ or X-over settings on my PA+. Both Low output and High output was OUT on the x-over in PA+.

First pic shows the mic behind the sofa
    Second pic shows mic behind sofa and the S-paper Wing moduls.
    Third pic shows me sitting in the LP

Green = Mono Bridged
    Red = Bi-amp
    Yellow= High freq
    Purple= Low freq

Maybe because the volume was higher with mono? That is my guess. The higher volume you have, the more bass you hear, that is how our hearing works.

Some amplifiers sounds better in bridged mode (if it is fully balanced), when some distortion is cancelled out by the bridging. Also impedance is changed when bridging, and changes the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Maybe because the volume was higher with mono? That is my guess. The higher volume you have, the more bass you hear, that is how our hearing works.

Some amplifiers sounds better in bridged mode (if it is fully balanced), when some distortion is cancelled out by the bridging. Also impedance is changed when bridging, and changes the sound.
    The volume was at 60% on the pre on both measurements as pointed out by OP. I believe that the amp gets more inefficient in bi-amp config due to not seeing the whole freq response. If no crossover in the speakers and active is used, this will not happen.

I think that the ohm tap is covered by OP, 4ohms in bi-amp and in mono!

I told him before he did the mesurements to go with mono-bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Bobecca View Post
    The volume was at 60% on the pre on both measurements as pointed out by OP. I believe that the amp gets more inefficient in bi-amp config due to not seeing the whole freq response. If no crossover in the speakers and active is used, this will not happen.

I think that the ohm tap is covered by OP, 4ohms in bi-amp and in mono!

I told him before he did the mesurements to go with mono-bridge
    Both the measurements shows, and the initial statement said, that here were higher SPL with mono-bridge. Often I don't get you guys!

Both the measurements shows, and the initial statement said, that here were higher SPL with mono-bridge. Often I don't get you guys!
    So, you dont get that there is in fact the same power output feeding the speakers, namely 500Watts.
    Am I missing something here

Mctwins

Hallo!

As I said, the volume level(knob) on my preamp was the same during the measurements between mono and bi-amp, namly 60%.

It is not only bass that has been increased, you forgott about the higher freq as well. The SPL increase affected the hole freq response.

On McIntosh the distortion level is the same in Stereo, Mono Bridged, Mono Bi-amp(Parallel).

Total Harmonic Distortion
    Maximum Total Harmonic distortion at any power level from 250 milliwatts to rated power output is 0.005%

Intermodulation Distortion
    Maximum Intermodulation Harmonic Distortion if instantaneous peak output per channel does not exceed twice the rated output, for any combination of frequencies from 20Hz to 20,000Hz, with all channels operation is 0.005%

The Output Load Impedance is ;
    2, 4 or 8 ohms (Stereo Mode), 250 Watts
    1, 2 or 4 ohms (Mono Bi-amp(Parallel) Mode), 500 Watts
    4, 8 or 16 ohms (Mono Bridged Mode), 500 Watts.

The Impedance changes depends on what output tap you choose. I have connected it on the 2 Ohm tap in Mono Bridged Mode that gives 4 ohm loudspeaker Impedance. The Left Output is Negative and the Right Output is Posistive on the Loudspeaker connection. All this can be read in the Owner's Manual for the MC252. In the manual it say's, If the loudspeaker's impedance is inbetween the available connections, use the nearest lower impedance connection.

My guess for the increase in SPL level has to do that it changes the input signal (XLR) between these Mono combination. I lookt at the Service Manual for the MC252.

I will do a test in mono bridged mode between 4 ohm and 8 ohm tap on MC252 to see if there is some difference in the measurements at my listening position.

Mctwins

4 ohm vs 8 ohm

Hallo!

I have compared between 4 ohm vs 8 ohm tap on my MC252 in mono bridged mode and got these result at my listening position. Same volume level (60%) on my preamp when measured with ARTA. I gives more SPL connected to the 8 ohm tap.

I did also run a pink noise thru the system to see if there was any changes on the MC252 meters. At the same volume level(in this case, 48% volume level on my preamp) gave -20dB on my MC252 meters, so no changes here between 4 and 8 ohm tap.

The Red Line = 4 ohm
    The Green Line = 8 ohm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now that they're no longer your "new" 4429's, what do you think of them?

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I am still satisfied with the 4429 and still going strong. I have sold both of my MC252 to a happy owner and installed a singel Crown DCi 2/600N amp. I must say that the Crown amp suprize me in terms of the performance it does to the 4429. It sounded good with singel MC252, with mono it sounded even better(more power). I have notice that more power to the 4429 sounds best. With the Crown I am running in bi-wire mode.

Crown compare to MC252, the Crown has more grip hold on to the 4429. There seems to be more liveliness to the compression drivers.

The MC252 has served me perfectly for 9 years without any problems at all. I am still a fan of McIntosh.

Let's see if the Crown holds this many years, well, I think it will, only time will tell.....

Hallo!

I am still satisfied with the 4429 and still going strong. I have sold both of my MC252 to a happy owner and installed a singel Crown DCi 2/600N amp. I must say that the Crown amp suprize me in terms of the performance it does to the 4429. It sounded good with singel MC252, with mono it sounded even better(more power). I have notice that more power to the 4429 sounds best. With the Crown I am running in bi-wire mode.

Crown compare to MC252, the Crown has more grip hold on to the 4429. There seems to be more liveliness to the compression drivers.

The MC252 has served me perfectly for 9 years without any problems at all. I am still a fan of McIntosh.

Let's see if the Crown holds this many years, well, I think it will, only time will tell.....
    Do you really think MC252 is not as good as Crown DCi 2/600N?
    46 lover

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.

It seems that the 4429 comes more alive with more power and it feels good.

Don't they all? Though I often think it's not just more headroom that causes a perceived improvement, but because one can go a few dB's louder without clipping that gives the impression. Louder often seems better but it's just...louder.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Do you really think MC252 is not as good as Crown DCi 2/600N?
    Not a question of which one is "Good" - its a question of a better match for those speakers.
    Maybe the crown is a high current amp ...
    Maybe its a warmer amp (or a cooler amp) and that is a better match for those speakers ...
    lots of possible reasons ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information