Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New JBL M2

New JBL M2

Hi Everyone
    I posted this yesterday in the general audio forum. I think it probably belongs here so I'm reposting it.

This weekend, I setup my home theater with JBL M2 monitors in the LCR positions. I'm using Crown amps with the M2 factory specified crossovers and modified EQs. The installation of the amp and speakers took roughly 6 hours. These speakers are huge and heavy. They are replacing Revel Performa F30's which are not small speakers by any right. The M2s make the F30s look like toys. I am not able to lift the M2 by myself.

The factory EQ, in my opinion, sounded great but it also sounded a little like a horn, if that makes any sense. After a little tweaking, I was able to take the attached measurements at the listening position. These are the left and right speakers, 1/6th octave smoothing. With this response, I am happy to say that the M2s are, without a doubt, the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. I am in awe of the width and depth of the image. Everyone who listens asks me if the surround speakers are on. The center image is so locked that you cannot believe the center channel is turned off. Several times, I walked up to the screen to prove to myself that I was indeed listening to stereo.

The efficiency of the M2 is outrageous as compared to typical "audiophile" speakers. Every gain in the system needed modification to account for the M2s. Subs and surround speakers needed 9dB boosts to keep up with the M2s.

The low end of the M2 is effortless at any volume I am willing to listen. Compared to the M2, the Revels have a bit more punch but the M2s certainly have more depth. The M2s are very articulate and revealing. Already, I am hearing parts of certain tracks that I have never heard before.

The imaging...I just can't get over the imaging.

JBL hit another homerun.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Looks like an affordable 2 way. (No affiliation - just providing a reference point)

Sweetwater has them for about $20k a pair, including the Crown amps!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System/

"Two-way Reference Studio Monitor System with 15" Woofer;
    Dual-diaphragm, Dual-voice-coil Compression Driver;
    and Crown I-T5000 HD Amplifier (Pair)"
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Great review! Thanks. Is there a third one hiding behind the screen? What are you using for subs?

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Great review! Thanks. Is there a third one hiding behind the screen? What are you using for subs?

Yes, the third is behind the screen on its side. The bi-radial horn is virtually identical in the vertical and horizontal axes so its response is almost identical to the sides.

For subs, I have built-in infinite baffle subs. On each side, there are 2x18" FI Audio IB18 drivers mounted in manifolds. Each pair is driven in parallel by a crown power amp. I've attached the response for reference. I have not applied EQ to the subs yet so I expect the response will get significantly better. With the IB design, the low frequency extension is amazing.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

Nice speakers

Regarding mesurements you can look here for comparison. This is two seperate rooms. One is with PRX600 series and one is with JBL Cinema Screen Arrays with additional subs. Measured both with REW and ARTA. I prefere ARTA as better than REW. REW seems to be much sensitive during measurements.

With PRX600 with subs.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9455716-post165.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9455764-post167.html

With Cinema screens

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9664574-post182.html

These measurements is with and without the Flower Wings on the floor.

In your measurements the suffer is in the control in the bass region. I am using tunable Varitunes Helmholtz resonators for my bass treatment. To me, this is the best treatment for low freq.

It looks very good from 200Hz and up in the freq responsebut you have to work with your bass anomalies. If you control the first axiell modal resonaces you will have more benefit from your speakers to produce a healava bass performance.

Could you show the Waterfall and Filterd Impulse reponse from REW and also show measurements with both speakers.

Nice.....

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by shoshaw View Post
    Yes, the third is behind the screen on its side. The bi-radial horn is virtually identical in the vertical and horizontal axes so its response is almost identical to the sides.

For subs, I have built-in infinite baffle subs. On each side, there are 2x18" FI Audio IB18 drivers mounted in manifolds. Each pair is driven in parallel by a crown power amp. I've attached the response for reference. I have not applied EQ to the subs yet so I expect the response will get significantly better. With the IB design, the low frequency extension is amazing.
    Is this measured with all three M2 and with the subs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Is this measured with all three M2 and with the subs?
    Measurement is for the LR pair of M2s plus the subs. Center channel is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hallo!

Nice speakers

Regarding mesurements you can look here for comparison. This is two seperate rooms. One is with PRX600 series and one is with JBL Cinema Screen Arrays with additional subs. Measured both with REW and ARTA. I prefere ARTA as better than REW. REW seems to be much sensitive during measurements.

With PRX600 with subs.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9455716-post165.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9455764-post167.html

With Cinema screens

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9664574-post182.html

These measurements is with and without the Flower Wings on the floor.

In your measurements the suffer is in the control in the bass region. I am using tunable Varitunes Helmholtz resonators for my bass treatment. To me, this is the best treatment for low freq.

It looks very good from 200Hz and up in the freq responsebut you have to work with your bass anomalies. If you control the first axiell modal resonaces you will have more benefit from your speakers to produce a healava bass performance.

Could you show the Waterfall and Filterd Impulse reponse from REW and also show measurements with both speakers.

Nice.....

Hi McTwins.
    Thanks for your interest. Attached are the responses you requested. I'd be interested in your feedback. Just getting into the whole audio measurement process so I'n not entirely sure how to interpret some of this data.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I will tell you some info regarding measurements but for the moment, I don't have much time right now.

Can you post the .mdat file so I can look at it in my REW.

What is the x-over settings. Between sub and M2.

I'll be back

Hi shoshaw,

Is that any possibility to do a measurements of the SINGLE box, without subs, etc...
    while M2 box is laying on its back side and the mic is about 1m up over the box top side,
    so much more comparable data can be get, including appropriated gating in order to remove reflections.

Reagrds
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi shoshaw,

Is that any possibility to do a measurements of the SINGLE box, without subs, etc...
    while M2 box is laying on its back side and the mic is about 1m up over the box top side,
    so much more comparable data can be get, including appropriated gating in order to remove reflections.

Reagrds
    Ivica
    This might be interesting but I wonder about the EQ. How should I set the EQ for these measurements?

Just getting into the whole audio measurement process so I'n not entirely sure how to interpret some of this data.
    My guess is that once you do get a bit more experience with measurements and the relevance of the data, you will be pleasantly surprised that as good as your speakers sound now, you will be even more thrilled with their capabilities as you use that data to fine tune your DSP settings.

Widget

nice HT set up

I will soon be geting a pair for my room

what made you go for the M2? did you hear them befor buying them ?

do you have Measurments with out the subs and the original eq stteings

congrats

Valentin

This might be interesting but I wonder about the EQ. How should I set the EQ for these measurements?
    I have no idea, except to EQ the system to be "as flat as possible" on axis, and what is usually expectation for "standard speaker box".

Hi,

Nice speaker set up you got there, however, I personally think that there has to be some seperation between in room response and the actual response of the speaker. I do wonder why you have decided to not use the original setting on the M2 in the Crowns DSP. This is in the end what is tuned for the speaker and not your room.

Still want to know, like Mctwins pointed out, what kind of crossover is used. This has to be presented here.

Looking at your graphs indicate a very strong early reflections that has to be taken care of and why the response down to 10Hz? You have strong resonance in the bottom end as well. I suggest that this is a need of a HP filter to remove anything below 20Hz to reduce that resonance or start to deal with treatment so that resonance is reduced in your room. And let me tell you that this is not an easy task to tame a resonance of 10Hz!

I do hope that you can provide the mdat file so I and Mctwins can take a better look

Please remember that a rooms response is not the same as speaker response, but I think you all now this!

To tune a room is a lot diffrent than to tune a speaker

Thread Information