Thread: New JBLPro M2

New JBLPro M2

Hi Everyone
    This is my first post on the forum so be gentle!

This weekend, I setup my home theater with JBL M2 monitors in the LCR positions. I'm using Crown amps with the M2 factory specified crossovers and modified EQs. The installation of the amp and speakers took roughly 6 hours. These speakers are huge and heavy. They are replacing Revel Performa F30's which are not small speakers by any right. The M2s make the F30s look like toys. I am not able to lift the M2 by myself.

The factory EQ, in my opinion, sounded great but it also sounded a little like a horn, if that makes any sense. After a little tweaking, I was able to take the attached measurements at the listening position. These are the left and right speakers, 1/6th octave smoothing. With this response, I am happy to say that the M2s are, without a doubt, the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. I am in awe of the width and depth of the image. Everyone who listens asks me if the surround speakers are on. The center image is so locked that you cannot believe the center channel is turned off. Several times, I walked up to the screen to prove to myself that I was indeed listening to stereo.

The efficiency of the M2 is outrageous as compared to typical "audiophile" speakers. Every gain in the system needed modification to account for the M2s. Subs and surround speakers needed 9dB boosts to keep up with the M2s.

The low end of the M2 is effortless at any volume I am willing to listen. Compared to the M2, the Revels have a bit more punch but the M2s certainly have more depth. The M2s are very articulate and revealing. Already, I am hearing parts of certain tracks that I have never heard before.

The imaging...I just can't get over the imaging.

JBL hit another homerun.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Welcome shoshaw and thanks for the report!
    I think this is the first report we have here from an actual user of the M2!

What additional EQ did you do? I guess HC calls for different target curves (xcurves and the like) compared to music...
    Would you have a measurement of the original EQ?
    The small rise in the UHF we see in your measurement was to be expected when you look at the published "LSR type" curves that were missing the on axis measurement but showed a flat "listening window" measurement (that is the EQ target).

What are your measurement conditions (calibrated mic? distance?) and parameters (gating, smoothing?)

In terms of additional EQ, I actually deleted the M2 factory EQ and did the whole thing myself. I kept the crossovers. The M2 factory EQ has many +/- 2dB adjustments that seemed to target very small response deviations. I took a more holistic approach and went after the major issues seen in my room, in my listening position. Sorry, I do not have the "factory" measurements any longer.

The measurements were made with a calibrated MIC and the REW software available on the Home Theater Shack webpage. They were taken at 12' at my listening position. Measurement is a gated sine sweep.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the report! The speakers look great!

But, but...I wonder if they'll sound better with the Levinson package than the Crown.
    S4700 owner.

Honestly, I'm not sure how that would be possible. Just saying...

Could you please share your EQ settings?

Quote Originally Posted by shoshaw View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure how that would be possible. Just saying...
    Well, you never know is my opinion. However, the differences will probably be more subtle than anything else.
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information