Thread: The "audio experts" on Ebay are a never ending source of entertainment!

The "audio experts" on Ebay are a never ending source of entertainment!

Just this evening I found an auction for a fifties vintage Lansing speaker emblem. The seller claimed that the emblem came off the last C34 Jim Lansing worked on before he died. Yes, a C34.

My first message;

"Are you suggesting, the emblem you have up for auction came off the very last C34 cabinet that Jim Lansing worked on?

If so, you should have documentation to back up your claim. Since the James B. Lansing Manufacturing Company NEVER serialized ANY C34 cabinet, proving the emblem came off the very last C34 Jim "worked on" would be an absolute feat of magic. Not only that, but how is anyone to know if the emblem came off a C34, C36, or a Hartsfield?

Good luck trying to get a legitimate collector to believe that yarn."

His reply;

"Don't be stupid! This series of cabs was one of the last things Lansing worked on before his death. Perhaps you should get your facts straight before you shoot your mouth off!"

My last message;

"Jim Lansing committed suicide in 1949, years before the C34 existed. Perhaps it is you who should get YOUR facts straight before shooting your mouth off. You know absolutely nothing about the history of LMCo, or JBL. Anyone who knows about Lansing history must be getting a good laugh over the B.S. you're spewing. Good luck with your fraud you hack!"

This story also reminds me of an auction two years ago for an RCA something or other. The seller in his write up went on endlessly about the technical aspects of the item, of which I'm sure he had no understanding as what he wrote was obviously copied out of a brochure, then onto the history of RCA and made a special note about Harry Olson being the founder of RCA. Harry Olson was barely nineteen years old when RCA was founded!

I'm also reminded of a post here in the forum regarding a chap who offered up photographs of a "prototype" Minigon that Jim Lansing Built in his garage. Really?

Obviously the chap with the MINIGON was misinformed, but there are some people on Ebay who chose not to be informed, but rather to wallow in willful ignorance, and perpetrate a deception on the buying public.

Then there are folks who offer up "matched pairs" of driver this or that. Some go as far to put a VOM on each speaker indicating that one is 6.5 ohms, and the other 7.2 ohms, with serial numbers that are probably weeks if not months apart. I told one seller that the only thing "matched" about his speakers is the paint and manufacturer, and even sometimes the paint between the two is different shades of the same color. Matched pair?

Anyone have any silly stories about misinformed audio troglodytes to offer up?

H.F.

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    Just this evening I found an auction for a fifties vintage Lansing speaker emblem. The seller claimed that the emblem came off the last C34 Jim Lansing worked on before he died.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Signatur...f#ht_756wt_923

is this auction
    Perhaps the fingerprint we can see lying on the emblem come from Jim himself

Name:  C34 emblem 1.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  119.4 KB

Lansing emblem

Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Signatur...f#ht_756wt_923

is this auction
    Perhaps the fingerprint we can see lying on the emblem come from Jim himself

Name:  C34 emblem 1.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  119.4 KB
    That's the one!

The kid's last message was that of calling me a tool, and he would report me to Ebay for harassing him. LoL!

I told him to go ahead, and that I would report him to Ebay for the liar and fraud that he is. HaHaHa!

I see he modified his write up about "the last cabinet Lansing made" ( "before he died" removed ), but the inference is still there. I wonder if we could work up a séance so he could re-cone a D123 I have. :-P

Super nice JBL Signature Series logo badge from a C-34 cabinet, the last cabs Lansing made. In fantastic shape with original mounting clips on the back.

I know eBay is the only option sometimes (for really rare items), but this is exactly why I don't really do eBay anymore. Too many people trying to sell polished turds as gold.

I'm a big fan of buying stuff off message boards/forums.

Ebay fun

Quote Originally Posted by Greg86z28 View Post
    I know eBay is the only option sometimes (for really rare items), but this is exactly why I don't really do eBay anymore. Too many people trying to sell polished turds as gold.

I'm a big fan of buying stuff off message boards/forums.
    I'll agree its fun to challenge sellers on authenticity..... but ultimately the buyer needs to move
    on .....wasting time on a bogus sell is just that.......ck sellers feedback history ..and only buy
    thru Paypal...for added protection..........I think Ebay is great!! ("if I do say so myself")

My favorite, sometimes used to heighten the hype in a BS description of a crummy product offering:

"... real subwoofer-style bass!"

I do not know what that me eans, but it sounds very exciting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BeDome View Post
    My favorite, sometimes used to heighten the hype in a BS description of a crummy product offering:

"... real subwoofer-style bass!"

I do not know what that means, but it sounds very exciting to me.
    LoL!

Let's face it. Too many knuckleheads on Ebay think that everything with a paper cone is a sub-woofer. D123, D208, LE20. Anything!
    If it's not a metal tweeter, it's got to be a sub-woofer.

it ain't just Ebay

CL is chocked full of 'em too ... (emphasis mine and my pair sucked)

JBL L77 Lancer - $450 (St Johns)

I've got a pair of beautiful vintage JBL's for sale. I recently put new surrounds on them and they sound fantastic. They are perfect aside from a few small surface scratches that I'm sure will easily come out with a little sand paper/ steel wool.

These speakers have a near cult following and are VERY highly regarded in the audio community.
    Willing to entertain all reasonable offers or even trades for a nice turntable +cash if you'd rather do that.
    You can contact me via cell phone at any time (503) two six seven 4767

If you're serious, I will certainly demo them for you through AVR or tube amp.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4425115339.html
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I like it when they do the L-91's like this: http://www.jukeboxga.com/Pages/L300.html I assume the guy is going to buy a killer vacuum with the proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I like it when they do the L-91's like this: http://www.jukeboxga.com/Pages/L300.html I assume the guy is going to buy a killer vacuum with the proceeds.
    I have a 1957 Electrolux vacuum for sale. It was the last one Jim Lansing worked before he died. :-P

Ebay audio expert, lmao. Oh that's great. I needed a good laugh.

This just represents the typical sellers on ebay. Ethics and morals out the window. Its sad but we have all seen this many times before on other auctions.

the decline of ethics and morals is a huge problem on ebay. But usually these sellers are weeded out in the long run. When your talking about that kind of money, people don't like getting swindled.

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Ebay audio expert, lmao. Oh that's great. I needed a good laugh.

This just represents the typical sellers on ebay. Ethics and morals out the window. Its sad but we have all seen this many times before on other auctions.

the decline of ethics and morals is a huge problem on ebay. But usually these sellers are weeded out in the long run. When your talking about that kind of money, people don't like getting swindled.
    The problem on ebay now is the buyers, not the sellers. The ridiculous return policies and Paypal's grab back ability has ruined it for honest sellers.

Thread Information