Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: 2216ND Differential Drive

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    104

    2216ND Differential Drive

    I find this driver very interesting with all the thought JBL put into building this driver. I think it has 7 new patents and even the voice coil wire is all new.

    What are all the patents?

  2. #2
    Senior Member stephane RAME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Haut de seine - FRANCE
    Posts
    609
    2216ND Differential Drive®Woofer

    5664023
    5748760
    6768804
    6847726
    6774510

    Stéphane
    Club double 16"
    "Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler"

  3. #3
    Senior Member stephane RAME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Haut de seine - FRANCE
    Posts
    609
    Club double 16"
    "Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler"

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    104
    Thanks for that,

    For fun the other day I did a side by side of the S-4700 and Array 1400's.

    Played a ton of my own music I have collected over forty years. I think everyone in this forum raves about the 1400's, and rightfully so because I fell in love with the sound from day one. Now the S-4700 have come out and I must say I love the sound they reproduce also.

    What is amazing to me is you would think they would sound very similar but in my opinion they sound entirely different. I did find they bass extension on both extremely good but The S-4700's just delivered the same low frequency much more accurately and far faster tighter, if that is the right description.

    So to anyone trying to analyze these two products I would say spend at least 1 hour going back and fourth to determine what your ears prefer.

    For me I would get a pair of each.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 1audiohack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    What is amazing to me is you would think they would sound very similar but in my opinion they sound entirely different. I did find they bass extension on both extremely good but The S-4700's just delivered the same low frequency much more accurately and far faster tighter, if that is the right description.
    Thats exactly the way I hear it. That 2216Nd is a sweetheart for sure. In my experience with all these only the 1500 /1501Al series drivers can best them.

    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

  6. #6
    Guest
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Thats exactly the way I hear it. That 2216Nd is a sweetheart for sure. In my experience with all these only the 1500 /1501Al series drivers can best them.

    Barry.
    And also 1501Fe

  7. #7
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rocinante
    Posts
    8,206
    Here's what they look like in the flesh

    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  8. #8
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,297
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    For fun the other day I did a side by side of the S-4700 and Array 1400's.

    Played a ton of my own music I have collected over forty years. I think everyone in this forum raves about the 1400's, and rightfully so because I fell in love with the sound from day one. Now the S-4700 have come out and I must say I love the sound they reproduce also.

    I did find they bass extension on both extremely good but The S-4700's just delivered the same low frequency much more accurately and far faster tighter, if that is the right description.
    For me the magic of the 1400 Array is entirely in the horn... it's overall smoothness but most especially the imaging. The bass of the 1400 is fine, quite pleasant in fact, but it certainly isn't the ultimate in detail and resolution.


    Widget

  9. #9
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    Thanks for that,

    For fun the other day I did a side by side of the S-4700 and Array 1400's.

    Played a ton of my own music I have collected over forty years. I think everyone in this forum raves about the 1400's, and rightfully so because I fell in love with the sound from day one. Now the S-4700 have come out and I must say I love the sound they reproduce also.

    What is amazing to me is you would think they would sound very similar but in my opinion they sound entirely different. I did find they bass extension on both extremely good but The S-4700's just delivered the same low frequency much more accurately and far faster tighter, if that is the right description.

    So to anyone trying to analyze these two products I would say spend at least 1 hour going back and fourth to determine what your ears prefer.


    For me I would get a pair of each.
    According to 4313B,1400 can give you real old school bass,4700 and 4365 even 9900 can not offer this
    46 lover

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    104
    Thanks for the driver Pictures What a masterpiece at that price range. I hope they offer more models with that driver in the future because right now it is just the M2 and S-4700.

    I would like a model between the S-4700 and K2-9900 with this woofer and a compression driver midrange and UHF that is a little more heavy duty than what is in the S-4700.

    Hope Greg reads this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    Thanks for the driver Pictures What a masterpiece at that price range. I hope they offer more models with that driver in the future because right now it is just the M2 and S-4700.

    I would like a model between the S-4700 and K2-9900 with this woofer and a compression driver midrange and UHF that is a little more heavy duty than what is in the S-4700.

    Hope Greg reads this.
    Doesn't 4365 do this job very well?
    46 lover

  12. #12
    Senior Member Valentin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    730
    Well the M2 is the one in the midile of the K2 9900 and the S4700

    the M2 has a better compresion driver than the S4700 and a great horn plus its active

    below the s4700 you have the array 1400 whichi s a very good speaker

    so i see it dificult to go down or up having the 1500al family

    now imagine a Everest DD68000 K2 10000 active with the 1500al family and a new horn with a nice berilum compresion driver

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    104
    Sorry I should be more specific. What I was meaning is a consumer Model loudspeaker.

    The M-2 is a professional loudspeaker that I do not think most audiophiles will put in there living room plus they have no passive crossover within the loudspeaker.

    The 4365 studio monitor series is not sold in Canada and I do not think it is available for the U.S. Either.

    So for me back to wishing for a consumer model product in between.

  14. #14
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Well the M2 is the one in the midile of the K2 9900 and the S4700

    the M2 has a better compresion driver than the S4700 and a great horn plus its active

    below the s4700 you have the array 1400 whichi s a very good speaker

    so i see it dificult to go down or up having the 1500al family

    now imagine a Everest DD68000 K2 10000 active with the 1500al family and a new horn with a nice berilum compresion driver
    DD68000 and K2 10000?that's a great dream,i like them
    46 lover

  15. #15
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    Sorry I should be more specific. What I was meaning is a consumer Model loudspeaker.

    The M-2 is a professional loudspeaker that I do not think most audiophiles will put in there living room plus they have no passive crossover within the loudspeaker.

    The 4365 studio monitor series is not sold in Canada and I do not think it is available for the U.S. Either.

    So for me back to wishing for a consumer model product in between.
    Then M2 home edition (within crossover in it) must be your wish
    46 lover

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2216Nd
    By Techbot in forum Transducer Information
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 08:42 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 06:30 AM
  3. Differential drive transducers JBL link
    By Bladerunner in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM
  4. differential drive not new
    By el`Ol in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 11:11 PM
  5. Differential Drive woofers
    By Tom Loizeaux in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2005, 03:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •