Thread: Current Production question

Current Production question

Do any of you know if there is a current production JBL driver with specs matching or very close to a D-130?

ThankS

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Why don't you go through the T/S tables?? Not sure exactly what you are looking for but any of the Pro drivers will most probably be Neo, Dual coil and handle a crap load of power. Very different drivers compared to a D-130. None of them are inexpensive unless you have a dealer friend to give you a break on pricing.

I use a pair of 2266 Vertec sub drivers as subwoofers and they are great so it all depends on what application you are looking for.

http://jblpro.com/ProductAttachments...Parameters.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Tra...cer%20List.pdf

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

D130 alternative

Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    Do any of you know if there is a current production JBL driver with specs matching or very close to a D-130?

ThankS

eso
    Greetings -

I assume you mean the D130, and not the D130F. They are two different animals, and the D130 is not a 130A with an aluminum dome. They too, are two different animals. Just what is it you're trying to do with the D130?

I noticed a reference at the bottom of your post about a 30Hz horn. If you mean a 30Hz flare rate for either the D130 or 130A, forget it. The proper cutoff frequency for the 130A and is approximately 34 cycles, and approximately 37 cycles for the D130. The Efficiency Bandwidth Product for the D130 is 148 plus, and the EBP for the 130A is 194 plus, which makes it a superior horn driver over the D130. The C34 with the D130 sounds okay, but smoked with the 130A. The Thiele-Small parameters for the 2220 are a dead match to the 130A, the only difference being the upgraded surround on the 2220.

I have been searching the internet for years looking for a manufacturer that builds a speaker that comes close to the D130 and 130A specs, but there are none to be found. Part of it is with the four inch voice coil, and there are few companies manufacturing speakers with four inch voice coils suitable for Hi-Fi. Precision Devices has one or two fifteen inch drivers that are suitable for horn loading, but they're not designed for Hi-Fi. Vitavox has a fifteen inch speaker that's used in the Klipsch Horn clone, but at $4000 each I'll pass.

If you're looking for a D130 clone to design into a full range system you won't find it. Weber Speakers claims to have a clone of a D130F, but they are unable to provide Thiele-Small parameters for it the three times I've asked. The company is living off the legacy of it's deceased founder, Ted Weber. Frankly, I don't think any loud speaker engineers will be found on the Weber payroll.

The D130 and 130A are truly unique loud speakers, second only to the 150-4C. JBL has been pissing on it's Hi-Fi legacy for 20 years in the pursuit of competing for market share in the sound reinforcement industry. BTW, the K/E 151 and K/E 145 are not the greatest horn drivers. The EPB for the 151 is 107 plus, and the EPB for the 145 is 116 plus. Dismal!
    Plus, with the fs being so low for both drivers you would end up with an uncomfortably long horn, or a short horn like the enclosure Don Keele designed for the 151, which is not long enough to develop a 30Hz wave. It acts more like a band pass enclosure, what with the dual vents. The lowest support you'll get out of the W box as a horn in free air is about 100 Hz. Not much better with a reduced solid angle.

The D130 would make a nice mid-horn driver, but you could use a D131 or the 120 series for that. The E120 would make an awesome mid-horn driver, and Don Keele designed a straight axis horn for a twelve inch many, many years ago at the same time he designed the K151 W box. If your goal is sound reinforcement do not use the D131, it's not a sledge hammer.

As for a round Tractrix horn. Technically, Tractrix horns should be round, but I haven't yet heard a round Tractrix horn that sounded as good as a horn with a rectangular cross section. John Tucker of Exemplar Audio along with Jeff Marquart designed a rectangular Tractrix horn for the ALTEC 908 driver, and it sounds spectacular. Same with the bass section loaded with the 515-8G. Seamless comes to mind. I've had the misfortune of listening to round Tractrix horns with two inch drivers, and they practically tear your face off. They sound slightly like a Hartsfield horn without the lens, uncomfortable. The titanium diaphragm doesn't help either.

Regards, H.F.

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    I noticed a reference at the bottom of your post about a 30Hz horn...
    The D130 would make a nice mid-horn driver, but you could use a D131 or the 120 series for that. The E120 would make an awesome mid-horn driver, and Don Keele designed a straight axis horn for a twelve inch many, many years ago at the same time he designed the K151 W box. If your goal is sound reinforcement do not use the D131, it's not a sledge hammer.

Regards, H.F.
    If you look further in that sig line you'll notice a 130 midbass horn. That is what I'm looking into a current production driver for. The horn design produces a very flat 65-500Hz bandwidth at about 106db with a D130 and I'm considering mocking up a new system.

Thanks for the input.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

D130

Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    If you look further in that sig line you'll notice a 130 midbass horn. That is what I'm looking into a current production driver for. The horn design produces a very flat 65-500Hz bandwidth at about 106db with a D130 and I'm considering mocking up a new system.

Thanks for the input.

eso
    Check out Precision Devices in England. The closest distributor is Solen in Canada. It's either that, or being at the mercy of price and availability of D130's on Ebay, and then there is the cone kit that JBL doesn't support anymore.

Check out the PD.153ER under the 15" models

There is a place in Arizona here that has drop in kits for the D130-8 & -16, with all paper cones. Whether the T-S Parameters are the same is the question.

There is also a place in New York that has after market kits for JBL, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Good luck,

H.F.

Thread Information