Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats the pro&cons using a tube preamp with a SS amp

whats the pro&cons using a tube preamp with a SS amp

Ok this is a path I never been down before so all of Yall advice thanks. Well let me say this first I'm using a SS power amp which for an SS amp it sound good but I do know how warm and awesome tube sound but SS beats tube at the low end. So I am hoping I can get some of the warm detail sound out of my mids and tweets. I don't want to spend a arm one eyeball and kidney on a tube preamp please. What I am looking at is dynaco pas-3 with mods. Any suggestion thanks

Any chance you can audition the Pas 3 in your system before purchase?

I believe the Dyna Pas 3 is a "hybrid" tube preamp. I've never had one in my system, but I have owned/auditioned several other hybrids (and currently use one), and would tend to describe them as "neutral/natural" sounding. That would be opposed to a tube preamp like the Primaluna (http://www.primaluna-usa.com/product...prologue-three) which I feel may have more of what gets described as the "classic" tube sound. Warm midrange, softer high frequencies, bloom, etc. If your current amplifier isn't really close to being smooth enough on the top end, I'd be surprised if the Pas 3 would deliver what you're after, unless your current ss(?) pre is really adding a lot of hardness. I believe there is a line of thinking that an "all tube" preamp combined with the ss amp might give you more of what you are looking for. Perhaps others will comment.

The largest cons I have with tube gear is the reliability of vintage, and being comfortable (or not) with being out of the room or house while it's on, and the cost of re-tubing.

I believe the Dyna Pas 3 is a "hybrid" tube preamp.
    Someone will have to change at least one of their beliefs then

I've had several systems with tube front ends (one with was a hybrid), and have also included tube power amps...
    If you're trying to add a "tube sound" to your system, the PAS 3 will do that. Not a guarantee of ultimate success,
    but you should be able to tell a difference swapping it in. Further up the food chain, the potential for euphonic
    distortions becomes less (the direction I went), or more. I ended up losing the clean/tube pre in my current system
    and going higher-end SS... which just happened to fit with what I like (currently )

Have fun!

I'm currently using an integrated tube amp on my newly recapped KEF 105.4 speakers (Getz-Gilberto SACD playing now).

In an earlier configuration I tried a Grant Fidelity Tube Buffer with my SS gear.
    They are inexpensive - I bought and sold mine (used model) for $90 ...
    It worked fine and may be all you need to use with your existing gear to give it that taste of tubes sound.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Any chance you can audition the Pas 3 in your system before purchase?

I believe the Dyna Pas 3 is a "hybrid" tube preamp. I've never had one in my system, but I have owned/auditioned several other hybrids (and currently use one), and would tend to describe them as "neutral/natural" sounding. That would be opposed to a tube preamp like the Primaluna (http://www.primaluna-usa.com/product...prologue-three) which I feel may have more of what gets described as the "classic" tube sound. Warm midrange, softer high frequencies, bloom, etc. If your current amplifier isn't really close to being smooth enough on the top end, I'd be surprised if the Pas 3 would deliver what you're after, unless your current ss(?) pre is really adding a lot of hardness. I believe there is a line of thinking that an "all tube" preamp combined with the ss amp might give you more of what you are looking for. Perhaps others will comment.

The largest cons I have with tube gear is the reliability of vintage, and being comfortable (or not) with being out of the room or house while it's on, and the cost of re-tubing.
    Thanks for your input but what I should have mentioned I want bass and treble controls on my tube preamp. But I do want the silky smooth mids and nice sweet highs

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post

I've had several systems with tube front ends (one with was a hybrid), and have also included tube power amps...
    If you're trying to add a "tube sound" to your system, the PAS 3 will do that. Not a guarantee of ultimate success,
    but you should be able to tell a difference swapping it in. Further up the food chain, the potential for euphonic
    distortions becomes less (the direction I went), or more. I ended up losing the clean/tube pre in my current system
    and going higher-end SS... which just happened to fit with what I like (currently )

Have fun!
    Thanks the preamp I'm using now is a old Yamaha c-85 which is good but it's no tube

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'm currently using an integrated tube amp on my newly recapped KEF 105.4 speakers (Getz-Gilberto SACD playing now).

In an earlier configuration I tried a Grant Fidelity Tube Buffer with my SS gear.
    They are inexpensive - I bought and sold mine (used model) for $90 ...
    It worked fine and may be all you need to use with your existing gear to give it that taste of tubes sound.
    Hey Heather. Remember I'm new to this tube thing but I sure do love the sound of tube. So what is a buffer and will I get those silky smooth mids and sweet sounding tweets from a buffer. My ultimate goal is to buy a tube power amp and bi-amp it have the tube feeding my mids and tweets and my ss to my low. But for right now I have to crawl before I can walk

A tube buffer is a processor you can put in the tape/EQ loop, or between the preamp and Power amp. Its got unity gain,
    and uses a tube for that single stage to get you those tubes sounds and harmonics.

http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/node/75 - about $220 new or a good bit less when you find a used one.

After I tried that I went to a 20watt/ch integrated amp, then sold it and bought a higher powered one new with my tax refund 2 yrs ago,
    then found an even higher powered integrated amp used for a bit less a few months later.

Nice thing is that the Jolida distributor is just a bit over from Columbia, MD - so if you like their gear, you can pick them up locally!

Both Jolida and Grant Fidelity sell Chinese amps, tho I believe the Jolida gear is US designed (Like Emotiva).
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

A tube buffer is a processor you can put in the tape/EQ loop, or between the preamp and Power amp. Its got unity gain,
    and uses a tube for that single stage to get you those tubes sounds and harmonics.

http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/node/75 - about $220 new or a good bit less when you find a used one.

After I tried that I went to a 20watt/ch integrated amp, then sold it and bought a higher powered one new with my tax refund 2 yrs ago,
    then found an even higher powered integrated amp used for a bit less a few months later.

Nice thing is that the Jolida distributor is just a bit over from Columbia, MD - so if you like their gear, you can pick them up locally!

Both Jolida and Grant Fidelity sell Chinese amps, tho I believe the Jolida gear is US designed (Like Emotiva).
    WOW thanks heather

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    WOW thanks heather
    I found mine via Underwood Audio who had one for sale at the time, wrote me the invoice,
    and got it set so I could pick it up directly.

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/2012/05/jolida.html

I found mine via Underwood Audio who had one for sale at the time, wrote me the invoice,
    and got it set so I could pick it up directly.

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/2012/05/jolida.html
    I want to do a little more research first. A friend of mine has a dyanco pas-3 he is willing to sell but the real question is will this buffer out perform a tube preamp. Common sense tells me no but hell I never knew of a buffer until you schooled me today

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Grumpy,

Thanks for the correction. It's always worth checking the Google Machine before posting. I think I may have read about someone modding these with newer "hybrid" circuits, and made the assumption, never a good idea.

I've never used a tube pre with ss amps, only tube amps. Any issues with the tube preamps higher output impedance matching the ss amps in your past? Bass roll off issues?

Perhaps Dino could tell us the input impedance of his amplifier?

Good questions to ask and be aware of.

I've not used equipment where such a
    mismatch caused anything noticeable,
    but my more recent tubed pre was designed
    to be interoperable with 10k type amp input
    impedances.

Worth checking especially with older gear.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Grumpy,

Thanks for the correction. It's always worth checking the Google Machine before posting. I think I may have read about someone modding these with newer "hybrid" circuits, and made the assumption, never a good idea.

I've never used a tube pre with ss amps, only tube amps. Any issues with the tube preamps higher output impedance matching the ss amps in your past? Bass roll off issues?

Perhaps Dino could tell us the input impedance of his amplifier?
    Impedance 8 ohms or 1.210v.

A friend of mine says he have a very clean dynaco pas-3 for sale all parts are original for 275$

Thread Information