Thread: LE10 Refoaming Problem

LE10 Refoaming Problem

Hello everyone, I've run into a bit of a problem refoaming my LE10 drivers. I ordered a surround kit for them a while ago and finally got around to starting the project got one driver all cleaned up. But when i did a dry fit check i noticed the inner diameter on the surround does not leave me enough to glue to the back of the cone. There is about 1/8th of an inch of overlap between the surround and the cone the original surround had about 1/2in of overlap. Here is a picture of the driver in question It is labeled as a 16 ohm LE10 Serial NO. 4263 I greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Name:  2014-01-18 23.48.18.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  91.5 KB

So, whose surround kit are you trying to use?

I'm betting it's not Rick Cobbs!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

It was this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-Speaker.../170766313216? At first glance the surrounds line up great.... But once i looked at what i have to glue them together and just the pressure from me pushing the cone and surround together pushes that spot of the surround back to the top.

That would be Rick Cobb.

Just drop him an email describing the problem. He'll work with you to find a solution.

[email protected]
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

It does not look like a LE 10 cone shown in the picture.

Ill send Rick an email. Also im fairly certain these have never been reconed. Here is a pic of the Tag on the back the cabnets they came from have LX3 crossover networks and LE30 high end drivers. But i agree they dont look like a lot of the other LE10s out there.
    Name:  2014-01-19 22.57.53.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  109.0 KB

I found this reference via Google, apparently there was an "early" model LE10 with a deeper basket and cone:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=312821

the photo in that thread is gone, but it sounds like your speaker.

Well Rick was very helpful in confirming my suspicion these LE-10s are a different basket design with smaller cones. Now the hard part i have to find surrounds that will fit.

Well after a long search and a bit of a gamble I am happy to say I found surrounds for these odd LE10s. I ended up using the smaller Advent 9" surrounds, the ones I ordered where from Simply Speakers (Item Id: ADV-FSK-9) The outer diameter is a bit bigger than the basket. Some of the people I talked to that have used them for these JBL's said they cut them down to fit. I decided not to cut it since with a flat plastic spudger I could get it to lay flat on the basket with no warping. Another thing is they are a flat edge attach. This did not cause me any problems I just tucked the surround under the cone like the original surround was. Inner diameter was spot on and other than the color they look just like the lansalloy surrounds. Since my old surrounds were not doing the drivers any favors as far as sound goes I can't say if they would be close to factory but I can say they sound fantastic. I really hope this helps any one who runs into the problem I did with these odd LE10s.

Thread Information