Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2402 silver paint

2402 silver paint

Hi,
    i got some 2402s for alitlle DIY project. They are working fine and do just well with the ohmeter but as you can see on the picture the silver paint is damaged. Anyone know how I could give these babies a younger and nicer look ? I would like them to rebecome silver completly.
    Thanks for your help
    Dave
    Name:  JBL 2402.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  40.5 KB

Maron Horonzakz
    Any body want to tell him how to restore this tweeter...while i go to puke..!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    as you can see on the picture the silver paint is damaged. Anyone know how I could give these babies a younger and nicer look ? I would like them to rebecome silver completly.Name:  JBL 2402.jpg
    from my knowledge the 2402 is only with brushed aluminium finish or sometimes (nicely) black painted but never (ugly) silver painted ...

Hi,
    i got some 2402s for alitlle DIY project. They are working fine and do just well with the ohmeter but as you can see on the picture the silver paint is damaged. Anyone know how I could give these babies a younger and nicer look ? I would like them to rebecome silver completly.
    Thanks for your help
    Dave
    Name:  JBL 2402.jpg
    Take it apart, chuck the various pieces in a drill (or lath if you have one) spin them,
    and polish up with steel wool or superfine sandpaper, then finish with buffing compound
    and WASH WELL with solvent to get rid of all the grit!

Don't want any grit near the diaphram!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Some input from this older thread ( I've always enjoyed Paragon's sense of aesthetics ) ;

Click the pic !

Obviously the units come apart ( say, for polishing after silver-paint removal or diaphragm replacement ) .

Well thank you very much.... Writing here, with the jet lag between our country, is like chrismas...you wake up in the morning, and hey ! you have presents !
    many thanks guys, and Madame.
    David

bite the bullet

That version was produced with a black painted horn and the brushed aluminum "bullet" - looks like somebody tried to match it to the later ferrite magnet version that had the horn brushed also.

stick the bullet in a 1/2 drill and polish away at LOW SPEED with a quality 100 grit waterproof sandpaper in your hand and plenty of water..

LOW SPEED..I mean it.

it will absolutely shine in a short amount of time.

Then burnish and paint the horn semi-gloss black with the most expensive spray paint you can find.

done

Well I guess I followed your advise the sand paper did most of the job and I used "pierre d argent" just after and here is what I got (I guess our friend can stay with us now....but won't show the state of my thumb though....):Name:  1 INTERMEDIATE.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  85.0 KBName:  2INTERMEDIATE.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  77.5 KBbut (call me never satisfied) how can I get this ? (the kenrick way):Name:  GOAL.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  52.9 KB

Looks like those were polished with something like jeweler's rouge or a fine buffing compound like Simichrome, Brasso or the like
    (to get that mirror finish) and then coated with something like yellow iridite ... (a non-tarnishing outer coating - its tough to "plate" aluminum).
    To get a chrome like finish, after the initial wet-sanding, you work through finer and finer "grits" to get rid of all the scratches and increase the smooth shine.

Chuck the inner "bullet" back in the drill and use a rag with polish to shine it up.
    And Subwoof is dead-on with painting the outer material black - makes that shiny aluminum really stand out!

Simichrome can be bought from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Simichrome-390...dp/B0002YUQ4E/
    But like I said the first time, once its polished nicely, use a solvent to be sure its cleaned well and get all traces of the polish off the material -
    you don't want fine grit like that getting to your diaphram of into the gap ...

I polished my old AR turntable platter with it, and used Simichrome to polish the engine cases on my Triumph motorcycle back in the 70s - and, with patience, you can get a really mirror-like finish on aluminum (I got a "nice" finish here, but with patience, I could have gone fully mirror like with more buffing time).

Name:  AR-XB_5527.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  58.7 KB

Of course, its always possible that they had someone measure the original parts and make replacement parts of brass turned on a lathe -
    with cheap enough labor that's do-able in quantities.

(call me never satisfied) how can I get this ? (the kenrick way):
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Search "Project Brass 2402" on this site from 2005. I remember someone selling the parts on the bay a couple of years ago as well.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Search "Project Brass 2402" on this site from 2005. I remember someone selling the parts on the bay a couple of years ago as well.

Paragon ( Eckhard )

I've previously provided a link to ( his original Proof Of Concept ) thread .

I suppose it could be worthwhile contacting him to see if he still sells these parts .

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ct-Brass-2402H

Wow - so sad - that thread just kind of ended in 2005 with no resolution ...

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    use a solvent to be sure its cleaned well and get all traces of the polish off the material -
    Well thanks for advice again... solvent can damaged the diaphrams i gess beeing very vaporous even if well washed....

For the time being I will stop there: I have reached ma patience limits!...
    If they sound well in the system I will use polish past to improve may be (L 101 lancer + 2402 = sort of Appolo ?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4S13VZ4fE
    Ok I ve got LE14A and 2402 instead of 077, but LE175 is the same.... so close stuff isn 't ?
    I will tell you if someone s interested.
    Name:  VIEW BEFORE AFTER 2402.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  157.7 KB

Well thanks for advice again... solvent can damaged the diaphrams i gess beeing very vaporous even if well washed....

For the time being I will stop there: I have reached ma patience limits!...
    Hmmm... Do you mean you polished the aluminum parts while they were still bolted to the motor?

Thread Information