Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you live ? and so on..

Niklas Nord

Where do you live ? and so on..

My name is Niklas Nord, and i live in Stockholm, and that´s in Sweden.

Apartment with 28 m2 listeningroom

my neightbours has never told me to shut up do you belive that?

My closest neightbours son starts to play Pink Floyd 09 in the
    moring , a real musicians house. the house must be wellbuilt
    couse only from the stairs i can hear my neightbours, though
    I think all my neightbours.. also across the street can hear ME

I think neriks told me, that some of this neightbours down the street wondered what the heck he was doing. Then realise that neriks system is below ground 4 heart pumpin 2242 downstairs would rumble the ground like in an earthquake.

it will bite you (2242 biting you)

Hi Niklas!

Nice Idea! BTW please check your PM

My forum name is my real name. I live in Würzburg which is a small city in northern bavaria and this is, as anyone should know, in Germany.
    Ralf live near me (15km) and I can't tell who is more JBL-crazy

From time to time we meet and create new "projects". The status at the moment is that we have more "projects" than we can realize as we are both short in time.

BUT we'll let you know.....

The neighbors problem will be solved in summer 2005 as I bought a nice house on the countryside
    Last edited by Guido; 10-22-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Alex Lancaster

Wink

"Neighbors problem"?, Since We all should know, You are In Germany, try the famed tranquilizer firm of Heckler & Koch.

I think the H&K Solution is more the mexican way

My name is...

... Gordon Waters, and I live in Marietta GA, USA... about 20 minutes northwest of downtown Atlanta GA.

I got my first JBL speakers in 1986, when I found a derelict pair of Lancer 33s, minus drivers. Being a typical teenager, I proceeded to mount a set of Becker drivers (8" woofer and 1" dome tweeter) in them. Sounded pretty decent, for what it was.

However, a year later, I got a job (car stereo installer) at a hifi store in northeast Atlanta, that was a JBL home and professional dealer. It was there, that I heard my first REAL JBL speakers- the 120Ti, L80T and 250Ti. If I needed convincing, that was all it took.

Since then, I've worked at several other car audio dealers, and finally now, at a high-end home audio dealer which also does extensive turntable and speaker repairs/restoration projects. As such, I get to see LOTS of different speakers. I've found and restored a number of "standard consumer" JBL speakers, including a number of L100s, L88s, L77s and L26s, and found some truly remarkable ones, including a pair of C36 Viscounts with D130s and 077s and a pair of L80T's (which I had ALWAYS WANTED, since first hearing them in 1987).

Currently, I'm rebuiding a BUNCH of JBL drivers for a friend, and a few for myself... as in, 4- 2240Hs, 2- 2225Hs, a 123A, a 2235, 2- 2245s, and 3 D120s. Most of these were rescued from abusive environments (almost all of them had been jarred hard enough to shift the magnets, which I'm shimming/aligning and re-bonding together), and will soon singing happily in better surroundings.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Figge
    well im fredrik as some may have noticed...live about 1Hour east of stockholm depending on how fast the ole´volvo wants to go

have been intressted in audio since i cant remember! had difrent cheap compact stereos...up until early teens when i started hanging out in my dads stereo room, and ofcourse there were JBL:s. many diffrent over the years but my finest memory must be his 4315:s, and hearing roger waters masterpieces in there made me cut school from time to time, it was in there i "fell in love"...and my first "HiFi system" was an old 10W tandberg reciever i found in a dumpster, it totally killed my new and fancy comact panasonic with cd and remote!...i even blew the panasonic speakers with it! WOW! this was a good thing! couse i got to borrow a old pair of OHM from daddy! some strange fullrange driver ontop firing down into the box and a 10" pr! now i was rockin´ GNR,Metallica,Helloween & maiden had never sounded so great! (loud) this was 1990 i must have been 13 and there were no turning back now!

oh! and diy speakers was a big passion back then! if u have built some really bad speakers? i have built worst! damn these were the days!
    Last edited by Figge; 10-23-2004 at 07:29 AM.

Well my name is Terry and I live in Victorville CA, which is about 100 miles N/E of Los Angeles. I know, because I drive through LA each day on my way to Santa Monica where I work as a superintendent for a general contractor building offices for Universal Music Group.

My first experience with JBL's was back in the 60's when I was a struggling musician. Fender offered JBL's as an upgrade to the Jensens that were OEM. If you had those metalic domes staring out through your grill cloth you had "arrived".

I never could afford JBL stereo cabs. Shucks, as a musician I couldn't afford food.

I remember going to the recording studios and they would all have JBL's hanging on the wall in the control room. They loved to crank those thing up and watch the expression on folks faces. Especially mine.

Well I now have a friend who is an audio system installer and he has turned me on to some damaged or worn-out JBL's which I have enjoyed bringing back to life. I never reallized how many different cabs JBL made. I am really enjoying learning about these wonderful speakers.

Blessings, Terry

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an audioholic.
    Home is west central Ohio, USA. Lima is the town. Pronounced Ly-mah.

Flat. Agricultural. Midwest.

I like JBL because their transducers have been super, and so many JBL designs utilized them so well, and because JBL has been a repository of good science and good art, and real audio design and knowledge, not the crap that parades for huge bucks under the high-end banner.
    Did I mention I like their transducers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hector.murray

I am, well out there

My name is Hector Murray and I live in Norfolk, NY, ( pronounced NOR-FUK) a small town near the end of the snowflake..... I mean Canadian border.
    I was first introduced to JBL and Altec Lansing speakers when I was 13, being mentored in electronics by a neighbor who was an audiophile. His system was custom designed, and I do not remember the specifics other than the fact that he described his system as half a paragon and had used an Altec Lansing tangerine for a supertweeter instead of a JBL unit.
    He had to go away for 2 weeks once - and asked if I feed his cat. That was rough - on the cat! I had never heard music so clearly.
    The McIntosh amp & tuner preamp didn't hurt either.
    I'll stop here before I realy start rambling........

My names Peter Beka and I live in New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada (1/2 hour east of Vancouver). I was first introduced to JBL's when a friend of mine pounded music through a pair of L-100's about 10 years ago. My personal evolution with JBL's is as follows: L-26's.....L-100's.....4333A's....L-250's....who knows whats next

Cheers!!

Hello my name is Robert Hamel I live in New York on Long Island about 25 miles east of NYC.

I started with JBL's back in 1974 with a pair of L-25 Primas. Got L88 Plus's on close out and then the M12 expander kits. Lived with L100's forever until about 3/4 years ago where the internet and Ebay opened Pandora's box with the JBL Tent sale, sharing with people and low cost vintage drivers. Ultimately finding this site, Thanks Don! Have been building and trying new things ever since. I have always liked JBL's and used to daydream about a pair of real monitors way back when. Could never afford them even used at the time. Thanks to the support of people on this site I finally have a pair.

Rob

OK

My name is Scott Fitlin and I live in Nassau Cty, Long Island! I was born in Brooklyn NY, and my family opened the Eldorado Auto Skooter in March, 1973! I was here, they had this big system with speakers I had never heard of, or seen before, Altec A7,s, with McIntosh preamp, and Mc amp, Dual turntable, and a JVC 8 track!

They opened it up on a Saturday, the first thing I ran to at the ripe old age of 11, was right behind the operating consoles, to the STEREO! I remember my dads voice, SCOTT, dont touch anything! Too late, I turned the volume knob up a bit, and wowee, War- Cisco Kid!

It was over for me, when the other kids were out playing ball, I was here with dad, always playing records!

As the buisiness grew, and I did too, so did the system, and in 1976, because of Saturday Night Fever, they got an even bigger system! This was my introduction to JBL!

By 1979, we got a pair of JBL L-300,s at our house, and it was good, but it was the big stuff in the buisiness I always wanted to play with!

I remember being 15yrs old, in High school, my freinds talking about buying a Radio Shack EQ, and how to set it, Im telling them, Nah, RS is junk, you need a 1/3 octave cut only, and you gotta pink noise the stereo with an RTA to EQ the right way. They just looked at me like I was a Martian!

New Brunswick, NJ, 1962 to 1965. Fraternity house. Every weekend, ALL weekend, indelibly imprinted by unknown JBL's:

"Ray Charles: ... The High PRIEST! .... Ray Charles HISSELF!"

["Baby, what I SAY, now...."]

PA in the huge gym was banks of EV Patricians. How I coveted them....

Came west for the "Summer of Love" and stayed.

I bet them JBL's are STILL rockin' back there on College Ave.
    Last edited by Zilch; 10-24-2004 at 02:02 PM.

Originally posted by Zilch
    PA in the huge gym was banks of EV Patricians. How I coveted them....

Patricians! Those are so cool. I'd love to have a pair.
    My story doesn't include owning any of the classic JBL's, so to clarify, I should point out that friends had 100's, and a good friend had L300's/Mac/LinnSondek, and a Paragon!! I grew up hearing that stuff. Also, believe it or not, the local pizza place had L300's mounted 13 feet up in the front of a big room, providing tunes during the 70's. Stanley Clarke, Bob James, James Gang, War, Floyd, etc.

I’ve been asked numerous times about my background, and how this site got started, but I have never gotten around to documenting it on this site. I suppose that now is as good a time as any and it seems relevant to this thread.

I am a 46 year old civil engineer (highway designer) living in Winnipeg, Canada. I was born and raised here, but spent most of the 80’s out in western Canada (Edmonton and Banff). My start as an audiophile began at the age of 16 in 1974. That year, a friend bought a JBL 030 kit system (D130, 075) and a Kenwood 40W integrated amplifier. I was stunned by this system. I had no idea such sonic realism could be had in one’s home. I was mainly listening to rock music at the time. I can still remember the bass impact of that system on such classic tracks as Supertramp Dreamer and Kraftwerk Autobahn. From that moment on, I dedicated myself to saving every penny to buy a JBL system of my own.

For the next year, I spent virtually every weekend haunting the JBL dealers in my home town and pestering them to play every system they stocked. I originally set my sights on the L100 Century, and as I saved more money, progressed upscale to the L65 Jubal, L200 Studio Master, and my dream speaker of the time, the L300 Summit. I spent literally hundreds of hours listening to these systems in the dealer’s showrooms – to the point that I was kicked out of one of them for spending so much time without buying.

In 1975, I had saved up enough to buy my first system. However, I did not have the money to buy the large JBL’s that I lusted after. That’s when I came across Altec Lansing. I had never heard of this brand before. The local dealer told me that they were the same as JBL since they were once the same company. However, their prices were half of the equivalent JBL’s. I ended up buying a pair of Altec Santiago’s, that were the equivalent of a JBL L200 Studio Master. I coupled these speakers with a Pioneer SX1010 receiver and Technics turntable.

My experience with the Altec Lansing Santiago’s would ultimately be a disappointment. They had a visceral dynamic impact that first drew me to them. However, living with them exposed a number of deficiencies. The 806 compression driver and 811 horn had very little response above 10khz. What was more difficult to live with was the ragged midrange caused by the ringing horn that could cause your ears to bleed at high volume.

I sold the speakers after only one year and decided to forsake all of the “west coast” speakers in favor of the then new high-end market. That’s when I bought the SAE electrostats. For the next seven years, I continually swapped components on a never ending quest for sonic nirvana until I arrived at my current system consisting of Dahlqist DQ10’s, Threshold 400A, Parasound pre-amp and Kyocera CD player. I stopped, in the early eighties, not because I achieved my goal, but rather because I realized the futility of my search. I was spending thousands of dollars chasing minute, and sometimes nonexistent, improvements.

Overall, I wasn’t entirely disappointed in the results. I ended up with a system that was accurate, detailed and provided very good imaging. However, I knew I was still missing something. That missing piece was the dynamics, and in particular, the bass impact that first drew me into this hobby. Even after embarking on the high-end route, I always hoped that the JBL’s and Altec’s that first inspired me would progress to the point that they would be as neutral and refined as the high-end speakers I owned, yet have the visceral dynamics I craved.

To this end, I continued to keep abreast of the products of JBL and Altec. I spent many hours listening to such systems as the Altec Model 19, JBL L212 and L150. After JBL abandoned horn speakers for the home, I began to seek out pro shops that carried the large studio monitors. All of these systems showed promise in various areas, but none seemed to embody all of the attributes I was looking for.

Then, in 1986 - a revelation. A JBL dealer in Edmonton, Canada, where I lived at the time, brought in a pair of JBL DD55000 Everests. That system was closer to my ideal in a loudspeaker than anything I had ever heard. It had excellent imaging, was uncolored and nuanced. Most importantly, it had the quickest, most dynamic bass (if not the deepest) that I had yet heard. Unfortunately, the price stopped me dead in my tracks. At $12,000US a pair, I could only lust after them.

After the mid 80’s, other priorities took over from audio – such as owning a home. I pretty much dropped out of even auditioning new audio equipment after that. However, around five years ago, I became nostalgic for the hobby that had consumed so much of my time and resources. It’s not that I wanted to start again with the endless upgrades. Instead my interest turned to the history of the hobby. I still had all of the audio catalogs and spec sheets I had collected from the 70’s and 80’s. I was now interested in finding out about the predecessors from the 50’s and 60’s. I began bidding on old JBL and Altec catalogs on Ebay. I got pretty good at sending in last second bids to beat out the competition.

One of the people that I beat out on an old Altec catalog was Steve Lewis of Maui. He contacted me by email and asked me if I would be interested in selling him a photocopy of that catalog. He introduced me to Steve Schell of Long Beach who was also bidding on old speaker catalogs. These two would become my partners in the Lansing Heritage website. We progressed from email to phone conversations and quickly came to the conclusion that it was foolish bidding against each other for these old documents. We came up with the idea of sharing everything we each owned and putting it up on a website. With such a site, we hoped that others would see the benefit in sharing and add to our collection.

Shortly afterwards, an event occurred that exploded our initial limited scope. I had met a JBL expert on a speaker email list named Garry Margolis. I had no information on his background other than the fact that he displayed greater knowledge on JBL products than anyone I had ever met. Once we had come up with the idea of our website, and before we had taken any action, I emailed him with a request for guidance on contactd and sources of information. That’s when I discovered that Garry was a former Vice President of JBL international. He passed on my request to the current JBL Professional Vice President of Marketing, Mark Gander. Mark immediately agreed to help and passed on my request to John Eargle, another former JBL executive that had written their corporate history in the early 1980s. Without any prior contact, John sent me a mail package that contained his original hand written notes from the numerous interviews he conducted in writing his history article. There were also numerous copies of historic documents and contact information for key players behind JBL’s past accomplishments.

That single act of sharing this invaluable information allowed our site to grow from a very basic collection of product literature to a comprehensive documentation of the Lansing legacy. We have now had the privilege of being in contact with over two dozen key people directly involved in the heritage of James B. Lansing. Contacts range from the very first employee of Jim Lansing in 1926 to the current executive management of both JBL and Altec Lansing Professional.

As those following this forum know, I have finally gotten back into the audio game in March of this year. That is when I picked up a pair of pristine, 1978 vintage Altec Lansing Model 19’s. It’s been a thrill rekindling the excitement of living a dynamic set of speakers after two decades of being away from the hobby. However, this is just an interim measure as Project May comes to fruition. Waiting for that, I have all of the reserve of a kid in a candy store.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information