Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you live ? and so on..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Niklas Nord

Where do you live ? and so on..

My name is Niklas Nord, and i live in Stockholm, and thatīs in Sweden.

Apartment with 28 m2 listeningroom

my neightbours has never told me to shut up do you belive that?

My closest neightbours son starts to play Pink Floyd 09 in the
    moring , a real musicians house. the house must be wellbuilt
    couse only from the stairs i can hear my neightbours, though
    I think all my neightbours.. also across the street can hear ME

I think neriks told me, that some of this neightbours down the street wondered what the heck he was doing. Then realise that neriks system is below ground 4 heart pumpin 2242 downstairs would rumble the ground like in an earthquake.

it will bite you (2242 biting you)

Hi Niklas!

Nice Idea! BTW please check your PM

My forum name is my real name. I live in Würzburg which is a small city in northern bavaria and this is, as anyone should know, in Germany.
    Ralf live near me (15km) and I can't tell who is more JBL-crazy

From time to time we meet and create new "projects". The status at the moment is that we have more "projects" than we can realize as we are both short in time.

BUT we'll let you know.....

The neighbors problem will be solved in summer 2005 as I bought a nice house on the countryside
    Last edited by Guido; 10-22-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Alex Lancaster

Wink

"Neighbors problem"?, Since We all should know, You are In Germany, try the famed tranquilizer firm of Heckler & Koch.

I think the H&K Solution is more the mexican way

My name is...

... Gordon Waters, and I live in Marietta GA, USA... about 20 minutes northwest of downtown Atlanta GA.

I got my first JBL speakers in 1986, when I found a derelict pair of Lancer 33s, minus drivers. Being a typical teenager, I proceeded to mount a set of Becker drivers (8" woofer and 1" dome tweeter) in them. Sounded pretty decent, for what it was.

However, a year later, I got a job (car stereo installer) at a hifi store in northeast Atlanta, that was a JBL home and professional dealer. It was there, that I heard my first REAL JBL speakers- the 120Ti, L80T and 250Ti. If I needed convincing, that was all it took.

Since then, I've worked at several other car audio dealers, and finally now, at a high-end home audio dealer which also does extensive turntable and speaker repairs/restoration projects. As such, I get to see LOTS of different speakers. I've found and restored a number of "standard consumer" JBL speakers, including a number of L100s, L88s, L77s and L26s, and found some truly remarkable ones, including a pair of C36 Viscounts with D130s and 077s and a pair of L80T's (which I had ALWAYS WANTED, since first hearing them in 1987).

Currently, I'm rebuiding a BUNCH of JBL drivers for a friend, and a few for myself... as in, 4- 2240Hs, 2- 2225Hs, a 123A, a 2235, 2- 2245s, and 3 D120s. Most of these were rescued from abusive environments (almost all of them had been jarred hard enough to shift the magnets, which I'm shimming/aligning and re-bonding together), and will soon singing happily in better surroundings.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Figge
    well im fredrik as some may have noticed...live about 1Hour east of stockholm depending on how fast the oleīvolvo wants to go

have been intressted in audio since i cant remember! had difrent cheap compact stereos...up until early teens when i started hanging out in my dads stereo room, and ofcourse there were JBL:s. many diffrent over the years but my finest memory must be his 4315:s, and hearing roger waters masterpieces in there made me cut school from time to time, it was in there i "fell in love"...and my first "HiFi system" was an old 10W tandberg reciever i found in a dumpster, it totally killed my new and fancy comact panasonic with cd and remote!...i even blew the panasonic speakers with it! WOW! this was a good thing! couse i got to borrow a old pair of OHM from daddy! some strange fullrange driver ontop firing down into the box and a 10" pr! now i was rockinī GNR,Metallica,Helloween & maiden had never sounded so great! (loud) this was 1990 i must have been 13 and there were no turning back now!

oh! and diy speakers was a big passion back then! if u have built some really bad speakers? i have built worst! damn these were the days!
    Last edited by Figge; 10-23-2004 at 07:29 AM.

Well my name is Terry and I live in Victorville CA, which is about 100 miles N/E of Los Angeles. I know, because I drive through LA each day on my way to Santa Monica where I work as a superintendent for a general contractor building offices for Universal Music Group.

My first experience with JBL's was back in the 60's when I was a struggling musician. Fender offered JBL's as an upgrade to the Jensens that were OEM. If you had those metalic domes staring out through your grill cloth you had "arrived".

I never could afford JBL stereo cabs. Shucks, as a musician I couldn't afford food.

I remember going to the recording studios and they would all have JBL's hanging on the wall in the control room. They loved to crank those thing up and watch the expression on folks faces. Especially mine.

Well I now have a friend who is an audio system installer and he has turned me on to some damaged or worn-out JBL's which I have enjoyed bringing back to life. I never reallized how many different cabs JBL made. I am really enjoying learning about these wonderful speakers.

Blessings, Terry

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an audioholic.
    Home is west central Ohio, USA. Lima is the town. Pronounced Ly-mah.

Flat. Agricultural. Midwest.

I like JBL because their transducers have been super, and so many JBL designs utilized them so well, and because JBL has been a repository of good science and good art, and real audio design and knowledge, not the crap that parades for huge bucks under the high-end banner.
    Did I mention I like their transducers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hector.murray

I am, well out there

My name is Hector Murray and I live in Norfolk, NY, ( pronounced NOR-FUK) a small town near the end of the snowflake..... I mean Canadian border.
    I was first introduced to JBL and Altec Lansing speakers when I was 13, being mentored in electronics by a neighbor who was an audiophile. His system was custom designed, and I do not remember the specifics other than the fact that he described his system as half a paragon and had used an Altec Lansing tangerine for a supertweeter instead of a JBL unit.
    He had to go away for 2 weeks once - and asked if I feed his cat. That was rough - on the cat! I had never heard music so clearly.
    The McIntosh amp & tuner preamp didn't hurt either.
    I'll stop here before I realy start rambling........

My names Peter Beka and I live in New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada (1/2 hour east of Vancouver). I was first introduced to JBL's when a friend of mine pounded music through a pair of L-100's about 10 years ago. My personal evolution with JBL's is as follows: L-26's.....L-100's.....4333A's....L-250's....who knows whats next

Cheers!!

Hello my name is Robert Hamel I live in New York on Long Island about 25 miles east of NYC.

I started with JBL's back in 1974 with a pair of L-25 Primas. Got L88 Plus's on close out and then the M12 expander kits. Lived with L100's forever until about 3/4 years ago where the internet and Ebay opened Pandora's box with the JBL Tent sale, sharing with people and low cost vintage drivers. Ultimately finding this site, Thanks Don! Have been building and trying new things ever since. I have always liked JBL's and used to daydream about a pair of real monitors way back when. Could never afford them even used at the time. Thanks to the support of people on this site I finally have a pair.

Rob

OK

My name is Scott Fitlin and I live in Nassau Cty, Long Island! I was born in Brooklyn NY, and my family opened the Eldorado Auto Skooter in March, 1973! I was here, they had this big system with speakers I had never heard of, or seen before, Altec A7,s, with McIntosh preamp, and Mc amp, Dual turntable, and a JVC 8 track!

They opened it up on a Saturday, the first thing I ran to at the ripe old age of 11, was right behind the operating consoles, to the STEREO! I remember my dads voice, SCOTT, dont touch anything! Too late, I turned the volume knob up a bit, and wowee, War- Cisco Kid!

It was over for me, when the other kids were out playing ball, I was here with dad, always playing records!

As the buisiness grew, and I did too, so did the system, and in 1976, because of Saturday Night Fever, they got an even bigger system! This was my introduction to JBL!

By 1979, we got a pair of JBL L-300,s at our house, and it was good, but it was the big stuff in the buisiness I always wanted to play with!

I remember being 15yrs old, in High school, my freinds talking about buying a Radio Shack EQ, and how to set it, Im telling them, Nah, RS is junk, you need a 1/3 octave cut only, and you gotta pink noise the stereo with an RTA to EQ the right way. They just looked at me like I was a Martian!

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    My name is Scott Fitlin ... and my family opened the Eldorado Auto Skooter in March, 1973!
    And we've still never seen a picture...

OK, part of my story - I'll work it through the next few glasses of fine red wine...

Circa 1970: my dad sought a "stereo" - we were fully monoaural until then. After much searching, I influenced him away from alternatives, and to the Altec Boleros - a 10-inch two-way with a PR. He drove it with sizeable Sherwood receiver... A few months later, having saved every lawn-mowing dollar I had, and selling any spare bicycle in the garage, I managed a pair of Altec Capri's (infinte baffle), and the "seperates" of a Pioneer SX-8100 amp and TX-8100 tuner. IMO, my stereo rocked - my girl sure thought so!

Circa 1972, arrived at Syracuse U, dorming it, and needing spare cash, I signed-up for sound support / audio tech and worked mostly at the ol' "Jabberwocky", a revered club in the ground floor of the then Kimmel Hall. Lots of cool acts, in some tough acoustics. PA was Altec A7's flown, and an Altec 8-channel console. No outboard FX or EQ. Subwoof knows this place , and he too ran sound there at about the same time, though we appear to have not overlapped. I worked many, many shows - Hell, I "grew-up" doing sound at Jab. Was on house sound, grunt/patch-guy, until one night Roger McGuinn (Byrds) showed for a two-night run, and for some reason they gave me FOH. Hell, I was only 18... Anyway, Roger was outstanding (Bryan Bowers opened), and after the show, McGuinn's road manager offered me anything - even virgin maidens to join their tour. Even McGuinn himself INSISTED I go with them and do sound for the entire tour. VERY flattering... I was crapping myself. Stoned and tired - I knew it had been a good show, and we could do it again - but I declined. NRPS was also on a very, very tight tour - which was phenomenal (only it was right after Dave Torbert had left the band, and Skip Batten [weenie] had joined...) anyway, I ditched McGuinn, followed NRPS and stayed at the Jab and did Aztec Camera, Taj Mahal, Mark-Almond, countless other acts I've long-ago forgotten (I became the Jab go-to FOH engineer for a spell...) but was clueless (still am) on the theory of it all. I was merely a shoulda-been music major with a great set of classically-trained ears and an innate ability to mix. I just don't have the same innate ability about the design engineering and theory. I crewed for Loggins and Messina, Hot Tuna, Bromberg, Guthrie, on-and-on... It has been my love-hobby since high school.

All-the-while, I was listening at home to a pair of home-made cabinets with 12-in Jensen coaxials, while the boys down the hall had Advents and a pair of visually stunning L100's. The L100's and I found waterbeds, together... I kept the waterbed...

Leaving Syracuse, I sold the Jensens, wedged the Capri's into L/R position behind the rear seat of the station wagon, fired-up the 25w amp, loaded in Grateful Dead tapes and headed west, New Mexico way. Besides driving up/down the Rockies thusly for years studying and working geology, I got involved with a band who still re-unions, coming onto our 30th in 2005. Not kidding... I repeatedly sold my stationwagon to the bank to fund cables, connectors, mics and stands, speakers and amps, and harps. I pretty much do the same for the band I'm with now in the Bay Area...

I bought a pair of Altec Model Nines from Warehouse Sound, and then later stumbled into a great pair of used 4312's on a road trip through Boulder - turns out John Nebel knows the place.

The 4312's and the Model Nine's were with me for years (always seperate rooms - they never sounded as good together as apart - a polarity issue I never understood until arriving here... ). I then refurbished the 4312's, bought two-pair of 4313B's from cabinet guy Audiobeer (corrected some ingenious network wiring he inherited...), completely refurbished a few pairs of L44's and a pair L77's (eBay'ed the lot), three-pair of 4301B's (still own two-pair), rebuilt the Capri's (LE8T's and LE20's; in holding pattern in the shop), have a pair of 4406s' flown in the master bedroom, and bought the most gorgeous pair of 4345's from Ken Patchkowsky that I have totally refurbished.

Now, I suffer with the self-induced purgatory of trying to do live sound support in settings seemingly perfectly designed to acoustically fail...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL Dog
    Who am I?

My name is Bob Constantin. I've lived in the St. Louis, MO, area all my life. I'm still trying to recover from the Cardinals getting swept by the Red Sox in the WS. But, hey, the Cardinals have been there seven times in my lifetime and won it three times. I can live with that!

I graduated from Southeast Missouri State in Cape Girardeau, MO, in 1982 with a BS degree in Speech Communications, though I never took a "speech" class. I thought about pursuing a career in broadcast until I found out the majority of on-air personalities live just above the poverty level. There are a few that make it and rake in the bucks, however. Besides, the college radio station General Manager told me, at 6'4" tall, I was "too tall for radio!"

I started dabbling in the Mobile DJ business part-time in 1979 when I was in college. I couldn't believe people actually got paid to spin records! I did a little club work here and there, etc. I was tagged with the DJ stage name "Boogie-Bob" back in the mid 80's (and, yes, it has stuck with me over the years!).

I got fed up with "Corporate America" in the late 80's and decided to take on the DJ biz full-time. I've used just about every issue of Pro Series JBL speaker produced from the early 80's to present. My favorites are all the "SR" series. "Cabaret" series sounded great, but they weighed entirely too much to lug around. Well, I still use a couple of the Cabaret 4602A's as stage monitors (E120, 2402H). The entertainmnet biz has blossomed into a twelve system operation. I employ eight part-time DJ/Karaoke entertainers (and a roadie) and we do about 1200 shows a year. The majority of that work involves Karaoke presentations at local pubs.

What else? I married my lovely wifey in 1993 and we have two kids (10 year-old daughter, six year-old son). She teaches the 5th grade. And, yes, I get treated like a fifth grader when I act like one!

My hobbies include collecting JBL stuff. My current collection features two C45 Metregon's (one loaded with an S82 3-way system, the other loaded with a 2-way 201 system - 130A, 175/H5040 & N1200). Other goodies include a nice set of C38 Baron's (D131, 175DLH & N1200), Minigon, and a mirror-imaged set of Bel-Aires (insanely rare according to Oldmics). I also have a set of 4343's and 4430's. Oh yeah, Lancer 99's.

No longer in the JBL family are L65's, L220's, C56 Dorians, L100T's (the most underrated speaker JBL has ever produced, IMO) and L150's (my first set of JBL's). I would like to get a Paragon to complete the "gon" trifecta, but the wifey says I have to buy her a bigger house before that happens.

Other hobbies include wasting a lot of time playing Texas Hold-Em on the internet, Ebay-ing, golf and listening to music. My favorite artists' include Steely Dan, Ella Fitzgerald, Norah Jones, the "Rat Pack", Ray Charles, Beatles, Van Morrison, Eagles, Jimmy Buffett, Eric Clapton and Stevie Wonder. I can tolerate just about anything but the profanity-laced rap.

I've never been convicted of a felony and I haven't inhaled for the last 17 years. Sorry, I don't have a good waterbed or L100 story to share!

This message comes from JBL Dog

Maron Horonzakz
    Hi... My name is Maron Horonzak.....With out the Z.....I lived most of my life in St Louis. Worked in aerospace Mcdonnell Douglas (30 yrs) Retired NE Mo at Mark Twain Lake. Ive had more JBL speakers than you can shake a stick at .., Metragon ( in piano black) w S7... Built 2 Paragons ( walnut) Bought a third from a Salvation Army store. Bought a pair Of Klipschorns Threw out the guts and stuffed them with JBL speakers.... For 20yrs I was recording engineer For the St louis Philharmonic. Then we broadcast the tapes on KWMU fm radio and NPR. We used to have Playback partys after the performense The Philharmonic orchestra were two fisted drinkers & would stay till the wee hours of the night listening to the master tapes. When KWMU went to all talk & no music. The Play backs were curtailed... I still get requests from members for tape copy,s Retired conducters etc. Now up here at the lake things are a bit quieter.

Thread Information