Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha RX-V775 surround receiver thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Example..Adcom 880 (which I've seen for half a c note on Ebay..)
    http://www.adcom-usa.com/userguides/gTP-880-ug.pdf

Funny, right on the front page of the brochure it says Digital Processing/Tuner/Preamp = ... sure sounds like a Pre/Pro to me ... or maybe its a Pro/Pre
    my Integra DTC 9.8 is much the same - a Preamp/Processor with Tuner - hook up to external amps ... (paid $800 for it used 2 years back)

I kinda think most anyone in the industry would agree thats what a Pre/Pro is ...
    What is an AVR without main amps? - why - its a Pre/Pro!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Funny, right on the front page of the brochure it says Digital Processing/Tuner/Preamp = ... sure sounds like a Pre/Pro to me ... or maybe its a Pro/Pre
    my Integra DTC 9.8 is much the same - a Preamp/Processor with Tuner - hook up to external amps ... (paid $800 for it used 2 years back)

I kinda think most anyone in the industry would agree thats what a Pre/Pro is ...
    Pre/Pro is a term used for Pro equip. also and I got plenty of that...including the old
    two legged FM Rcvr.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Pre/Pro is a term used for Pro equip. also and I got plenty of that...including the old
    two legged FM Rcvr.
    OK, now I understand your post. In my world a Pre/pro is as Heather described... a preamp/processor, essentially any contemporary surround preamp with built in digital processing.

Widget

It's my mothers birthday tomorrow. When I go see her I'll bring along my Onkyo to see if the sound is something she can live with. If not, maybe my own solution is the way to go: I use my main speakers both for stereo and HT. In stereo mode they are run by ARC-amps (pre/power). In HT mode I use the Onkyo as pre, takes the front output signal to the video input in the ARC preamp. I need to have the ARC-preamp set at the same level as I had when I setup all HT speaker levels but I think it works OK. The downside doing it like this is that my mother needs both a new AVR and an ordinary amp (beefier than her 35w/ch harman/kardon...) which means more $$$ to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    It's my mothers birthday tomorrow. When I go see her I'll bring along my Onkyo to see if the sound is something she can live with.
    Excellent idea... if she is happy with the sound, I am sure any AVR you find will work out just fine.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Pre/Pro aside... I think theirs obviously..a lot more to be said about HT integration into
    the home stereo..I'm surprised their wasn't more bites on this thread...the 880 for example..
    can you daisy chain a group of processors ....all thru one tape/mon?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    It's a bit tricky I must admit.

My mom is used to listen to the 250ti's driven by an 1980's h/k 35W/ch amp (PM635i).

I think we will need to install a separate amp later on to drive the 250ti's, hence the demand for preouts.
    If she has been using a 35 W/ch integrated amp, what makes you think you need a separate amp? There are plenty of AVR's for way under $1000 dollars that will have much higher power outputs. I know a lot of them don't publish FTC 20-20k all channels driven specs anymore but still, something like my Onkyo TX-NR809 is rated 135W with 2 channels driven and cost less than $700.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    If she has been using a 35 W/ch integrated amp, what makes you think you need a separate amp? There are plenty of AVR's for way under $1000 dollars that will have much higher power outputs. I know a lot of them don't publish FTC 20-20k all channels driven specs anymore but still, something like my Onkyo TX-NR809 is rated 135W with 2 channels driven and cost less than $700.
    I guess it depends on how much you want to spend on your mom..........

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    OK, now I understand your post. In my world a Pre/pro is as Heather described... a preamp/processor, essentially any contemporary surround preamp with built in digital processing.

Widget
    ok ..so you know more abbreviations than I do..pt taken ..I still think the new technology is better than the old stuff..

Thread Information