Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL S3100 MKII vs JBL L300

JBL S3100 MKII vs JBL L300

Hello, I have the opportunity to choose between these 2 speakers for my main set, which one should I choose?

In what areas are one better than the other?

I listen to classic rock mostly.

To be used with a McIntosh C2300 pre and MC402 amp.

You should get the L300. The S3100 may be the better sounding speaker...I don't know because I've never heard one. But 20 years from now the L300 will remain a JBL icon, while the S3100 will be a forgotten footnote in JBL history.

My home audio formula: L300 + 200 watts = 90% of As Good As It Gets

You can spend thousands more $$$ to achieve 91% of AGAIG

I would defenetly go for the S3100. Not that there is something wrong with L300 but the other one is a big horn speaker

If it is a icon you need then buy both of them

I myself run my C2300 with MC252 and sometime change to two MC275 in mono to power my cinema screen arrays. Subs powered by Crowns MAi

Here is a picture of the L300. It looks in good shape, but I noticed the dust cap seem bigger than stock? Would this impact in sound?

Having never heard either, I would offer...

the L300 will hold value better over the long run
    L300 will require more maintenance , just because of age

you state that you listen to classic rock

I've always felt that "gear of an era" (plus music) sound best together.

If you'd stated "new. digital , high rez " music ..maybe the S3100
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I had the little brother, S2600 (of the S3100 model-not Mk. II), with the McIntosh MC402. It rocked the house and I loved it. Personally, I would get the S3100 in a heartbeat as I would take sound over LT value in this case.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Buy the L300s. If you don't like then they are easy to sell, that other model will be hard to sell. L300s and a swarm of killer subs equals audio pure nirvana IMO.

On any given day there's probably 1,000 people on this planet looking to buy a good set of L300s. I doubt if there's 10 people going out of their way to look for s3100s. There's nothing wrong with the S3100, but I can't see it on top of anyone's list of "must have". Anyone passing on the L300 to buy S3100 must already own 4343s or 4350s.

Quote Originally Posted by otenmsa View Post
    Here is a picture of the L300. It looks in good shape, but I noticed the dust cap seem bigger than stock? Would this impact in sound?
    Hi,
    I can say that ("for sure") that the dust cap is not original, and may be the suspension either, so it is expectable that the sound character of 2231A driver has not been preserved.
    My experience with 2231A driver, even re-coned with C8R2235 (JBL original recone kit) would change the sound character, but on the other side, if only the dust cap has been changed, I would expect that 2231A would remain its sound character.
    If it is possible to separately measure EACH of the drivers, do that before buying.

regards
    Ivica

I bought a pair of S3100 in 2000 and was so pleased with them that I bought one more pair in 2004. I'm as happy with this 4.0 surround sound system today as I was 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi,
    I can say that ("for sure") that the dust cap is not original, and may be the suspension either, so it is expectable that the sound character of 2231A driver has not been preserved.
    My experience with 2231A driver, even re-coned with C8R2235 (JBL original recone kit) would change the sound character, but on the other side, if only the dust cap has been changed, I would expect that 2231A would remain its sound character.
    If it is possible to separately measure EACH of the drivers, do that before buying.

regards
    Ivica
    Couldn't it have been reconed with the 2235H recone kit? I've read that the 2231A recone kit is not sold anymore. The new 2235H recone kit seem to have a larger dust cap.

This is what a 2235 looks like - this is a NOS C8R2235 I have had sitting around from the last of the U.S. made batches that I finally got around to putting in. Notice the VC leads sticking out under the dustcap. The L300 in your picture probably had the dustcap knocked in and replaced by someone who didn't have the right size. I have also seen a few techs who don't use the 40hz sine wave to center the cone when re-foaming woofers, and instead cut out the dustcap, insert a shim, glue down the foam, then install a new dustcap. Since these L300's would have to have been re-foamed, probably twice since new, this could be the reason. You would have to pull the woofer and check the back of the cone to see what cone is actually installed. If the cone is correct, you then have to decide if you can live with the big dustcap, which does affect value a little.

Name:  2235.jpg
Views: 6786
Size:  150.5 KB

I do not have L300's, but I do have S3100's, 4343's, and 4430's. Of the three, the 4343's would sell first - I love the look, but they just don't image like the others. I love the S3100's sound, but the cheap vinyl wrap enclosure is a turn off - they just look cheap. However, I've got some TAD drivers coming to play with on the top end of the S3100's and the 4430's - I am hoping this is the missing ingredient to make me fall in love with them again. The S3100's image much more like a high end home speaker, and they have lasted in my living room longer than any of the other vintage stuff.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Having never heard either, I would offer...

the L300 will hold value better over the long run
    L300 will require more maintenance , just because of age...
    The L300s need to have their woofers refoamed every twenty or thirty years and that's about it. The tweeter L-Pads had seen better days in mine so I replaced them as well, but the other drivers and the crossovers are amazingly well made and hold up fine and should last longer than any of us. I would have to call that a very low maintenance speaker. If you ever do need to do anything, their modular construction and top notch build quality makes them an absolute joy to work on.

I have heard both side by side and it was the S3100 that sounded best to me. More accurate HF response IMO. Both had good LF.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by otenmsa View Post
    Hello, I have the opportunity to choose between these 2 speakers for my main set, which one should I choose?

In what areas are one better than the other?

I listen to classic rock mostly.

To be used with a McIntosh C2300 pre and MC402 amp.
    In one word:
    L300 is more classic,S3100MKII has better sound image and is more modern.
    There is another option,4430 is just between them.
    I don't under why not JBL add UHF on S3100MKII and 4430 but the oldest L300 has UHF on it?
    46 lover

Thread Information