Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL S3100 MKII vs JBL L300

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Scientists are always at a loss to explain differences that don't exist.
    Probably then you could explain why ferrite or ceramic or AlNiCo magnets when used in exactly the same guitar pickup, sound hugely different to each other?
    This is certainly not imagined and is noticeable.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Probably then you could explain why ferrite or ceramic or AlNiCo magnets when used in exactly the same guitar pickup, sound hugely different to each other?
    This is certainly not imagined and is noticeable.
    Are you certain they all have the same flux density?

Read the link I posted... Alnico does perform slightly differently than ferrite.

Widget

Hi Widget,

Yes, certainly. Too much magnetism in a guitar pickup ruins the top end because it pulls on the strings too hard. Maybe it has more to do with the type of sound that the strings generate. There is also a range of AlNiCo magnets from AlNiCo 2 to AlNiCo 9. 2's with have more mids and less bass than a 5 or 6, the higher the number. the more influence on the bass and mids. Obviously, Ceramic magnets can have a lot more "power" and will tend to have more bottom end and sound quite a lot warmer than AlNiCo.
    Guitar speakers also use AlNiCo or ferrite and in general, the AlNiCo will always sound warmer than its ferrite counterparts.

Obviously the sound from a guitar is hugely different to music, maybe this has something to do with it.

Allan.

With quitar pick-ups are they designed to be linear?? Sounds more like a MI speaker application and there are significant differences between magnetic vs VC differences in say an E-130 and a 2235 as an example.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hi Rob,

Indeed. But I was pointing out that in this application there are very noticeable differences. Speakers and pickups. To me, there should be not difference in sound simply because the magnetic field has no physical interaction. There must be something else going on.

Allan.

The ME150hs bass driver as used in the S3100 is a significantly better driver than the 2235/2231a in my opinion.
    It won't go as low but is very accurate, neutral and articulate, much in the vein of the 1500al.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    The ME150hs bass driver as used in the S3100 is a significantly better driver than the 2235/2231a in my opinion.
    It won't go as low but is very accurate, neutral and articulate, much in the vein of the 1500al.
    I use ME150H woofers and concur with your observations .

Of some interest ( at least to me ) is how this woofer is system-aligned within the S3100 ( this should be of interest to the DIY crowd ).

The last ( best ) guess at internal volume ( of the box size ) was made by Bernard & would seem to indicate a system alignment ( tuning ) outside the markers of the usual recommended box size ( ie; historically known as Critically Damped with a .5 Qtc // this was generally the largest box size recommended for the older short gap, legacy woofers > the 2231/4/5 legacy woofers pretty much adhered to this "rule" ) .

AFAIR, the S3100 alignment ( with the large box size of the S3100 ) comes in at around a Qtc of .4 .
    - I'm guessing this "works" ( & doesn't sound mushy ), because these modern JBL drivers are very much ( electrically ) over-damped ( compared to their predecessors ).
    - The 2242H can be aligned similarly ( ie; used in an over-sized box with added EQ to boost the "droop" ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Yeah, when are you gonna show some picture of your system.

My advice....Go with M2 and Crown amp, then you are done.
    I haven't seen M2 in local market yet and it is too expensive for me.
    If i have chance,i will try Crown studio reference in my JBL system
    46 lover

Thread Information