Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL S3100 MKII vs JBL L300

I've owned both the L300 and S3100 (not the MkII version), and the S3100 is BY FAR the best sounding speaker of the two. Better bass extension, imaging, and HF smoothness. I can only imagine what the improved crossover and driver in the MkII would do for the sound.

That said, the L300 is more valuable and collectible. I sold my L300's in 2009 for $3800 and paid $2100 for the S3100's.

Actually martin_wu99's tip on the 4430 is a good one. I might have gone for a pair for my living room but already had a pair of 4425's in the family room. Too many butt cheeks for one house hahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak48 View Post
    I've owned both the L300 and S3100 (not the MkII version), and the S3100 is BY FAR the best sounding speaker of the two. Better bass extension, imaging, and HF smoothness. I can only imagine what the improved crossover and driver in the MkII would do for the sound.

That said, the L300 is more valuable and collectible. I sold my L300's in 2009 for $3800 and paid $2100 for the S3100's.

Actually martin_wu99's tip on the 4430 is a good one. I might have gone for a pair for my living room but already had a pair of 4425's in the family room. Too many butt cheeks for one house hahahaha!
    Don't forget those old school man who like old school JBL sound,such as L300.
    They love JBL alnico drivers so much that they only collect JBL old alnico speakers just like one of my friends
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Don't forget those old school man who like old school JBL sound,such as L300.
    They love JBL alnico drivers so much that they only collect JBL old alnico speakers just like one of my friends
    Just FYI Martin, some of us like L300's because of the way they sound (and look). I really couldn't care less what material the magnets were made from.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Just FYI Martin, some of us like L300's because of the way they sound (and look). I really couldn't care less what material the magnets were made from.
    Just because of L300 magnet being made from Alnico makes it sound special
    46 lover

No, it's just a bloody magnet, made from what ever cheap (cost-effective) material was in use at the time.

each has a gain ...

AlNiCo makes it more vulnerable to demagnetizing over time and from being overdriven.
    The older a vintage JBL speaker is, the more like it has been abused at some point ...
    And the newer Neodium magnets are strong and small ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

If you can hear the difference Martin , then I think you should be looking for higher end speakers than JBL ..some that are in all those wacky pix that you like to post.

The L300s need to have their woofers refoamed every twenty or thirty years and that's about it.
    how do you get that much time ? everybody else figures on 12-15.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    If you can hear the difference Martin , then I think you should be looking for higher end speakers than JBL ..some that are in all those wacky pix that you like to post.

I'm starting to think it might be ozone or humidity related. Surrounds seem to last a LONG time around
    here.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    No, it's just a bloody magnet, made from what ever cheap (cost-effective) material was in use at the time.

each has a gain ...

AlNiCo makes it more vulnerable to demagnetizing over time and from being overdriven.
    The older a vintage JBL speaker is, the more like it has been abused at some point ...
    And the newer Neodium magnets are strong and small ...
    Hi,Heather, so nice to see you again.
    I will not agree with you at this point.i admited that AlNiCo was cheap and cost-effective at that time,but why JBL again apply today's very expensive AlNiCo into his hi-end speaker DD66000 and not strong and small Neodium magnets ?
    46 lover

If you can not hear the difference between AlNiCo\Neodium\ Ferrite speaker,pls stop play JBL speaker any longer
    46 lover

If you can not hear the difference between AlNiCo\Neodium\ Ferrite speaker,pls stop play JBL speaker any longer
    Really appreciate your comic relief effort Martin Wu , you are superb at it.

You post pix of lots of expensive show flotsam , pics of your friends systems , but I can't recall any pix of your own system
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Really appreciate your comic relief effort Martin Wu , you are superb at it. You post pix of lots of expensive show flotsam , pics of your friends systems , but I can't recall any pix of your own system
    Thanks for your good memory of my post,my own system's pix is just below in my signature,you can see it, but it is too small:4628B+4698B+DIY tube pro +SAE P500+TASCAM 401MKII,but they all sold outI am planing to set up new JBL system,maybe Array1400 or S4700,any advice?Thank you
    46 lover

Mctwins
    Thanks for your good memory of my post,my own system's pix is just below in my signature,you can see it, but it is too small:4628B+4698B+DIY tube pro +SAE P500+TASCAM 401MKII,but they all sold outI am planing to set up new JBL system,maybe Array1400 or S4700,any advice?Thank you
    Yeah, when are you gonna show some picture of your system.

My advice....Go with M2 and Crown amp, then you are done.

Actually there is a tonal difference between AlNiCo and Ferrite. Just ask any guitar player and they will tell you the same. Scientists are at a loss to explain the fact but different magnet materials produce a different sound.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Actually there is a tonal difference between AlNiCo and Ferrite. Just ask any guitar player and they will tell you the same. Scientists are at a loss to explain the fact but different magnet materials produce a different sound.

Allan.
    Scientists are always at a loss to explain differences that don't exist.

Scientists are always at a loss to explain differences that don't exist.
    Hi audiomagnate,

Hmmmm:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post361756

regards
    ivica

Thread Information