Thread: Bel Canto REF500M suitable for 4344 top end

Bel Canto REF500M suitable for 4344 top end

I have 4344 over Sub1500 driven by dbx 4800 into Crown K2 for the Sub1500, Crown K1 for the 4344 2235H, and currently a home-made Playmaster Pro 3 amp for the 4344 top end (10”, compression & 2305).

I have read many reviews of the Playmaster were it is trashed but I have compared it to Krell, McIntosh semiconductor and tube, Yamaha, Australian Monitor and bang for buck it kills them all. Wild statement I hear you say but remember it cost about AUD$200 in kit form about 15 years ago and I do like its sound.

I have tried the Crown K1 on the 4344 top end and the sound was too harsh. I have heard the McIntosh tube amp on 4350’s and it is a great smooth sound but not the sound I want for all my media as it is just too mellow.

I can get a second hand pair of Bel Canto REF500M in a rack kit locally here in Australia. I have read mixed reviews of them and their core component the B&O ICE module. Reviews seem to be picky on bass capability but in my system they will only be working above 320Hz. I cannot listen to them as they are on other side of AU.

Has anyone heard the Bel Canto on JBL? Anyone offer any comments on suitability to the 4344 or an another option for 4344 top end that is 1 or 2 rack units high, NO FANS, around 200W RMS and has a more bright detailed sound rather than a mellow layed back sound?

I have not heard Bel canto recently but they can be a bit dry and lifeless.

Depends what you want to spend but looks like you like mosfets.

If you can do it a Pass labs x150.5 would be a worth while improvement.

Maybe have a listen to my x250.5

I compared it recently to a pro amp recently and the pro amp was unlistenable (no names , no flames Lol)

Send me a pm

I have owned Bel Canto equipment over the years and have been very happy with it. But beware, as the previous poster mentions, it won't add anything to the source. It is pure audiophile gear which translates to some as lifeless and un-involving. My preference, though, these days is with ATI amplifiers. You can find really great deals on eBay, US AudioMart and Audiogon. Good luck!

Thread Information