Thread: Interest level in new JBL M2 studio monitor?

Interest level in new JBL M2 studio monitor?

My store, Audio Video Logic, in Urbandale (Des Moines area), Iowa is an authorized JBL dealer.

I am seriously considering stocking the new JBL M2 system. It's a $40,000 plus package including two M2 speakers, two power amps, DSP room correction and an electronic crossover.

I am wondering how many JBL fans would trek to Iowa to hear them?

They are available two ways. One as a professional system with Crown amps for maximum SPL's of up to 123db, or as a consumer (residential) system with Mark Levinson 532H amps which presumably has a bit more subtlety. The residential version would be my choice to stock. The speakers are a two way with a 15" dual voice coil woofer (from the S4700) and an all new dual voice coil dual diaphragm compression driver coupled to a very unique looking horn. The few technical spec's JBL has released are amazing, perhaps never equaled before.

We currently stock Everest 66000 and 670000's as well as the 1400 Array. I also expect to have the K2 S9900 and S4700 back on hand soon, so a JBL fan could hear a lot of models
    together under one room.

Thanks.

There's plenty of interest here in the M2. There's a huge thread on them already. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...erence-Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    My store, Audio Video Logic, in Urbandale (Des Moines area), Iowa is an authorized JBL dealer.

I am seriously considering stocking the new JBL M2 system. It's a $40,000 plus package including two M2 speakers, two power amps, DSP room correction and an electronic crossover.

I am wondering how many JBL fans would trek to Iowa to hear them?

They are available two ways. One as a professional system with Crown amps for maximum SPL's of up to 123db, or as a consumer (residential) system with Mark Levinson 532H amps which presumably has a bit more subtlety. The residential version would be my choice to stock. The speakers are a two way with a 15" dual voice coil woofer (from the S4700) and an all new dual voice coil dual diaphragm compression driver coupled to a very unique looking horn. The few technical spec's JBL has released are amazing, perhaps never equaled before.

We currently stock Everest 66000 and 670000's as well as the 1400 Array. I also expect to have the K2 S9900 and S4700 back on hand soon, so a JBL fan could hear a lot of models
    together under one room.

Thanks.
    Cool, sounds good. I've heard of your dealership. Anyway, maybe offer both packages? But have the Levinson system on demo. That's my suggestion.
    S4700 owner.

I'd like to hear em,but....

I've always wanted to see your store and hear the equipment you have. Truthfully your stuff is out of my price range, but I'd love to hear em! I think it's about a 8 hour drive for me, so it's not to bad.
    I always drool over your website. Who knows maybe there's something in your trade in room!
    brett

We get lots of out of state audio enthusiasts visiting. Some buy, some just dream. Either is OK. Make sure to confirm availability of any specific product you want to hear before making the trek. I like it when people introduce themselves to me or my staff. We've been in business 23 years, two of my employees are celebrating their 20th year with me, the other has been with me 7 years this month.

Just stumbled upon this very old thread. What did you decide to do with the M2’s? I’m very seriously considering getting some but have always really liked the K2 S9900s as well but today there is a huge price difference between them to make the decision much easier.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    Just stumbled upon this very old thread. What did you decide to do with the M2’s? I’m very seriously considering getting some but have always really liked the K2 S9900s as well but today there is a huge price difference between them to make the decision much easier.
    Paul
    IMO there are a number of really great choices in both Pro and consumer JBL lines that are half the cost. I've been drooling over the 4348 that's only available from Japan. I realize its a bit older but it sure has the right parts.

also...Revel

I know it doesn't have a JBL badge, but I am seriously smitten with the Ultima Salon 2's. I mean c'mon - it's got inverted Ti drivers like the PT series, and a Be dome tweeter like the JBL big dogs.It represents all of the Harman family technology coming together for another "home focused" 4-way in a line that stretches back from PT to XPL200 to 250TI. I wish Greg had been involved with these but I suppose Kevin Voecks knows his way around speaker design too :-).

Used ones are under $10k and I expect we'll see $5k within 3 years. I'm already getting things in order to eventually obtain a pair. It's my "endgame" speaker and should work well with the MC501's I obtained last year.

The M2 is also an amazing speaker but I don't think I want any horns in my listening room, no matter what badge is on them...

jblnut

I'm going to repeat the standard saying of "listen to them first".

I found the Salons to be more vanilla and boring than the 4367s and M2s. YMMV of course.

As far as the Revels I own a pair of Performa F206's and they are one fine speaker for not all that much cash. Worth a listen.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

yup...

Oh I did listen to them...for hours and hours :-). I came away supremely impressed. The 'vanilla' (or 'polite' as I've read many times) could apply to the 250Ti I've owned for nearly 20 years as well. It's a very natural progression for me in terms of presentation and overall sound - just with a higher level of refinement and lower level of coloration.

Unless I can somehow afford the big Magicos (very unlikely), I can see myself listening off into the sunset with the Salon 2's....

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Oh I did listen to them...for hours and hours :-). I came away supremely impressed. The 'vanilla' (or 'polite' as I've read many times) could apply to the 250Ti I've owned for nearly 20 years as well. It's a very natural progression for me in terms of presentation and overall sound - just with a higher level of refinement and lower level of coloration.

Unless I can somehow afford the big Magicos (very unlikely), I can see myself listening off into the sunset with the Salon 2's....

jblnut
    I heard the Magico M6s at Munich this year. Yes they sound extremely clean with a total lack of distortion, but they also sounded slow and antiseptic to my ears. I was decidedly underwhelmed. On the other hand the Vox Olympians totally live up to the hype. The most real sounding speakers I’ve ever heard.

At the time of the original post, I could not gauge much interest in the M2. Even my JBL regional sales manager suggested I try other models due to the complexity of the whole M2 system. So we chose the then new DD-67000 Everest, K2 S9900 and S4700. We brought on the 4367 a year or two later. Our customers tended to vote with their wallets for the Everest over the K2 or the S4700 if they wanted something smaller. The general feedback was that the K2 was priced to close to the Everest which handily outperformed it. Most customers expected more bottom end out of the K2 than it delivers. The S4700 and 4367 sales have been about even.

Just to be clear, my reply is not based on me being a JBL fanboy. Over the past 3 decades, I have owned all sorts of different speakers from many different high-end manufacturers and use that experience to form this opinion.

I realize the M2 is a much more complicated system to set up, but it is without question, the most advanced speaker offered today by JBL or, frankly, any other manufacturer (that I'm aware of). To start, the DSP makes it lightyears more refined than a passive crossover. I can't believe that Wilson Audio offers their $600k WAMM with a passive crossover. Shockingly short sighted, but again, much less complicated and since they are a marketing machine, I get their decision. I have not heard the Magico Ultimate, but it is a 5 way, Active, design and offers promise, but I am suspicious of it because of the 5 way (vs M2 2 way) design. It is much more difficult making a point source with 5 drivers vs 2. Additionally in the M2s favor are the drivers and wave guide. They are simply incomparable with other offering in the JBL line or in the industry. Each driver offers advancements not found elsewhere. One improvement JBL could make to entice more interest is in the cabinetry. If as much effort went into the M2 Cabinet as in the Synthesis line, audiophiles would flock to it because so much of their decision is based on appearance rather than just performance. After traveling to many cities to listen to systems of all flavors, including the new Wilson WAMM, I am convinced that the M2 is the best (but not easiest to set up) offering at this time.
    Last edited by Champster; 04-12-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information