Thread: Capacitor characteristics by brand?

Capacitor characteristics by brand?

Hello folks. So as some will recall, I am new to this wonderful hobby, and once again reaching out for some insights from those more knowledgeable I am currently in the process of gathering info and materials for a set of L110s. My particular question for this forum is in redoing the crossover. I have read a variety of comments that suggest the various cap manufacturers will have almost signature results in this application. I know that we all have individual tastes as far as the volume an tones that we listen to music so I am not going to ask what is your favorite. I will explain that I prefer crisp, but not necessarily bright highs, and tight, natural lows. In the past I have generally left my bass and treble controls at flat settings and not exaggerating either highs or lows. With that, my question now is which brand caps (and resistors for that matter) will give me the type of sound I am hoping for? I am not afraid to spend a little more for caps than average to get to where I want to be, but there is a limit as well. The caps I need for this project are 36uf, 12uf, 6uf, 4uf,and 18uf.
    Thanx to wpod (and others) for their guidance and encouragement so far on this endeavor. The selfless help and motivation that forums like this give is a refreshing change from the normal internet vibe. Name:  DSC_0346.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  148.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by stupidhead View Post
    Hello folks. So as some will recall, I am new to this wonderful hobby, and once again reaching out for some insights from those more knowledgeable I am currently in the process of gathering info and materials for a set of L110s. My particular question for this forum is in redoing the crossover. I have read a variety of comments that suggest the various cap manufacturers will have almost signature results in this application. I know that we all have individual tastes as far as the volume an tones that we listen to music so I am not going to ask what is your favorite. I will explain that I prefer crisp, but not necessarily bright highs, and tight, natural lows. In the past I have generally left my bass and treble controls at flat settings and not exaggerating either highs or lows. With that, my question now is which brand caps (and resistors for that matter) will give me the type of sound I am hoping for? I am not afraid to spend a little more for caps than average to get to where I want to be, but there is a limit as well. The caps I need for this project are 36uf, 12uf, 6uf, 4uf,and 18uf.
    Thanx to wpod (and others) for their guidance and encouragement so far on this endeavor. The selfless help and motivation that forums like this give is a refreshing change from the normal internet vibe. Name:  DSC_0346.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  148.8 KB
    FWIW, I put Clarity ESA caps in the tweeter section of one L300 and left the other one stock and couldn't hear a difference between the two.

It's hard to go wrong with polypropylene caps from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/Search....itesearch=true
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Follow the fit for purpose routine.

Suggest given size of low pass filter capacitor you use non polar audio grade , and charge-couple with solen the smaller values(value x 2, quantity x 2)

This was the approach on the K2 systems

Thread Information