Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Foam ??

New Foam ??

Hi All
    Here's a pair of 112a mid bass 8 inchers that just appeared on eBay.
    Since I don't own any of these, I can't answer my own question;
    Isn't that foam put on incorrectly ? and therefore giving the coil a negative offset in the gap ?

- I'm not interested in these but others may be , so they should know the facts ( if there's anything to my suspicion ).

- Ever notice how eBay sales , track some of the topics here, such as ; all the current crop of D-130F woofers that popped up like mushrooms on the forest floor after a big rain .

regards <. Earl K

Obsolete

Re: New Foam ??

Yeah Earl, they're jacked up

Rex Mills
    At the starting price, for incorrectly foamed 112's, I want a whole sack of apples and a carton of Marlboros

Whoa... Awful!!

Thanks to the pics of the rear of the transducer, you can see the old surround remains on the rear of the cone. But the "new" surrounds were glued (and poorly, at that!) to the front of the cone - incorrect for this driver. And, a lazy resurround (I will NOT revert to name calling... ) at that!

U-G-L-Y Bad resurround! Bad !!

This could be easily remedied - but now you have TWO surrounds to clean off

If they're what you need, and they "look" good otherwise, since they weren't cleaned properly (and therefore not damaged...), just watch for them to be relisted - by the third go-round they should be NR and BIN at low cost!

Ha!

But don't stop there - see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3284 for a tragedy LE8T resurround (glued onto front instead of rear...).

But LOOK at those dust caps!! Where's the beauty aluminum domes?? Be still, my broken heart
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    I didn't even look at the starting price Rex. How ludicrous. They are worth $50 each at most as cores... unfortunately it doesn't look like JBL is going to have any recone kits available for these any time soon.

MJC
    But LOOK at those dust caps!! Where's the beauty aluminum domes?? Be still, my broken heart [/B][/QUOTE]

112As never had aluminum dust caps. At least not the 4 that I have.
    The surrounds aren't right, for sure, but not the worst I've seen.
    I gave about $30/ea. for a pair that I had reconed for $200/ea earlier this year.
    Last edited by MJC; 06-19-2003 at 08:35 PM.

Sorry to confuse, MJC...

...but I was referring to the replaced aluminum domes on the LE8T's that I posted - tangentially - in my reply.

But, you are certainly correct about the 112A's...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Rex Mills
    Giskard..the pricing and buying dynamics, on ebay is so fickle it sometimes defies logic. Here is a pair of 2225 baskets, that started at $25.00 with no bids, but 2 weeks ago I saw a pair of the same close at $178.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=23794&rd=1

As an aside, what is a fair price for a pair of 2226J ? New pulls from 4648A.
    Thanks!

Obsolete
    Oh darn I need a pair of those baskets... I haven't been watching eBay lately.

MSRP as of 10/01/02 for the 2226J is $415 each.

Those 2225s did have some bids on them, but the seller cancelled the bids and ended the auction early. Look at the bid history.

Gotta love JBL

Originally posted by Giskard
    Oh darn I need a pair of those baskets... I haven't been watching eBay lately.

MSRP as of 10/01/02 for the 2226J is $415 each.
    Yeah and up until `97 you could get 2226,s for $210 apiece!

Now I may get crucified for this, but, you can get a TAD-1603 for about the same price as a JBL 2226. In my honest opinion the TAD is a superior sounding woofer!

Rex Mills
    Originally posted by Don C
    Those 2225s did have some bids on them, but the seller cancelled the bids and ended the auction early. Look at the bid history.
    Don, you're right. I didn't check the bid history. A good example of how screwy ebay can be. Seller sets a VERY low starting bid with no reserve, see's he not going to get what he hoped for and cancels the auction. That's the kind of stuff that pisses folks off about ebay. Tho I blame it on the sellers bad judgement.
    Last edited by Rex Mills; 06-20-2003 at 07:58 PM.

My grab is, the seller watched the reviews on The Forum of their ebullient auction attempts, and realized they're missing the best market!

Ha!

Be ever vigilant, JBL'ers!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

rjtimmerman
    The correct foam kits are no longer available-This is what Orange County Speaker told me. They are a smaller 8" size. What is better...to glue from the front and have it fit (not correct), or place a seam-in foam surround, mount from the the rear? (This is what somebody did to my l212's). I can not hear any sonic distortion-by having this seam. What do you think?

Obsolete
    It does appear that JBL is discontinuing service for certain transducers such as the 066, 112A/112H, and 2108/2108H. This will affect the owners of the 4313, 4315, L166 and L212.

"I can not hear any sonic distortion-by having this seam."

An A/B would probably be required for most people to hear any difference. I'd have to take measurements myself before coming to any conclusions. It could be that the compliance shift caused by using non-stock foam, or gluing foam surrounds haphazardly, might still fall within the "acceptable" 20% "slop range".

In any case, a $250 transducer probably shouldn't look like a 2 year old child's art project.

Thread Information