Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Foam ??

"In any case, a $250 transducer probably shouldn't look like a 2 year old child's art project."

Ouch!

Obsolete
    Hey, I'm sorry if I've offended any 2 year olds, bless their little hearts

I'm going on the assumption that they can't read yet and that they couldn't lift a 112A to refoam it.

I was considering rehab on a 2105H (LE5-9/11) and now see that this kit has been discontinued.

Don't good things last forever? Can't complain too much. I was recently reminded the benefits of JBL's broad product support when I found my Focal FC120 tweeters had foam rot (the inverted domes are supported by foam surrounds). No luck with suppliers, distributor, or manufacturer. Dang.

I had a pair of 2108Hs reconed not too long ago. The tech was very resistant to my request to save bucks and do a refoam. I am glad he talked me into a full recone. These units are not near 8-inches and the surrounds are very narrow. No doubt the tolerances are pretty close to try to get any aftermarket parts to fit, look and work correctly.

David F

Obsolete
    "Don't good things last forever?"

I guess not. Looks like many of the 70's and 80's systems will no longer be repairable with genuine parts.

Maybe I will hold off on rebuilding my L212 networks as charge coupled versions now that all the side panel components are no longer serviceable...
    Last edited by 4313B; 06-26-2003 at 02:06 PM.

rjtimmerman
    Orange County Speaker will repair/rebuild the networks. They will not touch the sub amp. This is what they told me.
    I hope this helps?Regards, r.j.

Obsolete
    What I meant was I might not go to the expense of biasing (Charge Coupling) my L212 networks.
    I don't really need OCS to rebuild them but thanks anyway

As for the B212 Energizer, I won't touch it anymore either.

Originally posted by Giskard
    It does appear that JBL is discontinuing service for certain transducers such as the 066, 112A/112H, and 2108/2108H. This will affect the owners of the 4313, 4315, L166 and L212.

"I can not hear any sonic distortion-by having this seam."

An A/B would probably be required for most people to hear any difference. I'd have to take measurements myself before coming to any conclusions. It could be that the compliance shift caused by using non-stock foam, or gluing foam surrounds haphazardly, might still fall within the "acceptable" 20% "slop range".

In any case, a $250 transducer probably shouldn't look like a 2 year old child's art project.
    FYI, I have, by very careful application and the use of lead strip weights to make the surround sit tight on the back of the cone while the glue dries, used the surrounds for 2214s to fix L166 woofers You have to be VERY careful, as the 2214 surrounds are made for a much "deeper" cone, and therefore you have to fight the foam a bit to get it to properly lay down on the cone... however, it CAN be done, and wind up both looking and sounding factory after it's over.

I've also used generic 12" surrounds, with a little carefully applied "stretch" to the inner radii, on those woofers as well. By my measurements, the majority of the suspension in those must be in the spider, as the resonance of the repaired woofers in both cases, was within a couple Hz of original, even before break-in. In fact, the generic surround resulted in a LOWER than stock resonance... which IMHO, may actually HELP in reducing boominess...

As for the 2108- I'm betting the surround for the early-model LE8 might work. If anyone can send me the cone outer diameter and basket land dimensions for a 2108, I'd be happy to check it against surrounds I have on hand...

And as for the 2105 rebuild- if you can get a kit for a LE5-6, it MAY be possible to find a flat-wire voice coil of appropriate size, in the generic parts market. IME, the only real functional difference between an LE5-6 and a 2105, is the voice coil... they have the same exact cone and dust cap... so in the worst case, just recone it as a LE5-6 and adjust the L-pad a bit to compensate for the slight potential for small sensitivity changes...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    who has to deal with these kind of obsolete speaker parts fit issues every day... and usually makes things work...

Thread Information