Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Additions XPL

Latest Additions XPL

The XPL160's were already here, just added the others. Anyone have any 90's for sale? Name:  iphone pics 073.jpg
Views: 4481
Size:  76.6 KB
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Very nice grouping!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

They all have new foam except 1 and I am sure every one can tell which one. I need to replace it too but it is the only one that was intact and it still works good.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Impressive

How the heck did you find all of those? I've been trying to find a set of 140's or 160's to go with my 200's and 90's for a long time. Nothing in this area that isn't beat up, and even those are pretty rare.

Nice Family you have there!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Are the XPL series speakers pretty decent?

Yep

I think they are, but I'm pretty biased as I own a set. IMHO, you have to spend some serious coin to get much better than the xpl200's. There are better, but at the price point they reside at, they are quite a value.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg86z28 View Post
    Are the XPL series speakers pretty decent?
    They are or rather were... unfortunately as member Don C can tell you, due to their original method of manufacture those amazing mid domes are ticking time bombs. I am not sure if they can be modified to improve longevity, but as they were designed they do wear out.

I don't know the details... perhaps those better informed on this subject can post a comment.

Widget

Very nice collection. Could you resume and compare the sound of this JBL family. I only know the 160 (as owner) and the 140. Regards Stéphane
    Regards Stephane

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    They are or rather were... unfortunately as member Don C can tell you, due to their original method of manufacture those amazing mid domes are ticking time bombs. I am not sure if they can be modified to improve longevity, but as they were designed they do wear out.

I don't know the details... perhaps those better informed on this subject can post a comment.

Widget
    It would be nice to know if there is a way to preserve them. I have had luck with replacing the foam on the 035Ti and Tia's. One problem with the 035ti is the corrosion on the aluminum leads which I have placed a drop of oil on to help since JBL did not encase them in epoxy like the Tia.Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  79.5 KB

Oh oh

I was unaware of this failure mode. Very concerning to say the least.

Any more details that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Really not much to say except in hi humidity the lead between the connector and the VC gets corrosion and will open right in the channel where it runs. Since it is aluminum you can not solder it unless someone here knows how to do it. So I took my others apart and lubed the aluminum wire between the connector and the tape. While I was at it I replaced the foam under the dome. That should prevent the corrosion for a while until it is needed again. Maybe petroleum jelly would last longer than oil. I did try to solder it but it will not work because it is aluminum. I even tried to put a copper wire between the connector and the other end of the wire under the tape. I did get that side to take but the other side did not.

Foam

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Really not much to say except in hi humidity the lead between the connector and the VC gets corrosion and will open right in the channel where it runs. Since it is aluminum you can not solder it unless someone here knows how to do it. So I took my others apart and lubed the aluminum wire between the connector and the tape. While I was at it I replaced the foam under the dome. That should prevent the corrosion for a while until it is needed again. Maybe petroleum jelly would last longer than oil. I did try to solder it but it will not work because it is aluminum. I even tried to put a copper wire between the connector and the other end of the wire under the tape. I did get that side to take but the other side did not.
    What material did you use for foam? I've heard of this having to be replaced and have seen pics of them apart, but I don't know what type of foam people are using.
    i might have to check mine out along with the connection. Mine are kept in a room that is between 38 and 42 percent humidity, so it's pretty dry. Hopefully they are in good shape yet. I dislike the time bomb thought!

Which speakers do you have? I am talking about the 034ti/035ti as in the 1980's L series. I have not taken apart any XPL drivers yet so I do not have experience with those.

Sorry

Sorry, I missed where you said 035. I thought you were talking about the xpl drivers.

Thread Information