Thread: Subwoofer Project with JBL 2226

Subwoofer Project with JBL 2226

Came across this subwoofer project based on the JBL 2226: http://member.newsguy.com/~stigerik/almighty/index.html

Yes, I know the 2226 is a woofer, how well will it work in this instance?

Obsolete
    Ok, I skimmed over it. I don't agree with some of his opinions but the design should "work". He's using fairly restrained Q for the low pass so it might not have rediculously poor group delay.

That's a whole lotta box for a mere fifteen. He could save a bunch of real estate with a better driver designed for the purpose. A 1500SUB comes to mind.

Nice project though! Very nice.

TimG
    It will work fine. However the efficiency of the driver is wasted and after rolling off the high end you end up with about 93dB efficiency, about the same as the 2235H. JBL uses what appears to be a modified version of the 2226H called the 136H in their S2S home subwoofer. http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA
    It appears to be a 2226 with a heavier cone or a mass ring, but I can't be sure. I you were to recone a 2226H as a 136H for home subwoofer use, this driver would require less equilization and it models well in a 5 cubic foot box tuned to 25Hz.
    But, if you can get your hands on some SUB1500s you can put them in smaller boxes and move twice as much air with each driver.
    Last edited by TimG; 10-21-2004 at 08:38 AM.

Tim,

wasn't the 136H the old home version of the 2231H???

Conceptually, it's kinda interesting, rolling off the rise above 40 Hz like that. WinISD suggests the same approach might work all the way down to a 4 cu.ft. box.

There's no denying the 2226 is a rugged driver. I just don't consider "forcing" it into subwoof service a rational endeavor when 2235 operates so competently there, not to mention Sub1500.

It might be worth trying to compare the sound with those others, but, unless some other forum member reports spectacular results with the approach, it's gonna be WAY down on my project list....

thredayevt

group delay?

I was wondering what group delay was? Mind explaining?!?

Thanks!

--Jeff

Obsolete
    Type "group delay" into Google.

Sealed systems exhibit lower group delay than vented systems. Adding EQ also increases group delay. One might argue that a sealed system without EQ would be quite desirable from an "accuracy" perspective.

Here's a shot of the group delay added by the JBL BX63 which has a high pass bump filter set at ~ 26 Hz.

One should be able to plug his schematic into a spice package and get the group delay curve. BB6P should yield the group delay of a 2226H in an 8 cubic foot enclosure tuned to whatever frequency he tuned his box to.

Anyway, whatever... If it "sounds good" who cares. The best part is he really likes his subs which is cool
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 4313B; 10-21-2004 at 11:17 AM.

TimG

You're right Guido

I got my numbers confused, the S2S woofer is called the HS-136. It also uses a bucking magnet on the rear which probably increases the motor strength slightly. So you may not be able to recone a 2226 as a HS-136 without further mods. Here is a link to Stig Erik Tangen's current listening room.

http://member.newsguy.com/~stigerik/html/audiosys.htm

I was looking into this project too.. I have a pair of Urei 813C,s and a pr. of 2226H drivers I was going to use for subs. The 2235 in the 813 is decent but I wanted a good punchy bass and at the moment am not able to soffit mount the Urei,s

As a first time builder of speaker cabs I had to read the filter sections a few times and do some research...

I have access to a cnc cutting machine and shop for MDF (mostly they work with exterior MDF) I was hoping to be able to take this project on in the new year.

Why would anyone want a sub bass built from a 15" 2226 when 18" units like 2240, 2245s are availible for about the same dough and they will do a much better job with ULF material?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Why would anyone want a sub bass built from a 15" 2226 when 18" units like 2240, 2245s are availible for about the same dough and they will do a much better job with ULF material?

Maybe because a 15" is easier to integrate in smaller rooms?

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Obsolete
    I supplied the OP with a pair of W1500H's. I suspect his dilemma is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I supplied the OP with a pair of W1500H's. I suspect his dilemma is solved.
    That'd do 'er!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    It will work fine. However the efficiency of the driver is wasted and after rolling off the high end you end up with about 93dB efficiency, about the same as the 2235H. JBL uses what appears to be a modified version of the 2226H called the 136H in their S2S home subwoofer. http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA
    It appears to be a 2226 with a heavier cone or a mass ring, but I can't be sure. I you were to recone a 2226H as a 136H for home subwoofer use, this driver would require less equilization and it models well in a 5 cubic foot box tuned to 25Hz.
    But, if you can get your hands on some SUB1500s you can put them in smaller boxes and move twice as much air with each driver.
    So what yours saying is if the JBL is say a round number 100db and with filtering crossover such, will only give a max I don’t know 95db or less efficiency on the output?

Thread Information