Thread: L200 build thread - Tinpan

L200 build thread - Tinpan

Hopefully this is the right section. As I mentioned on the " What's in your JBL collection thread" I have a couple projects I will be getting underway soon.

I am a lover of tube systems and two way speaker systems. I have a couple 300b tube setups and the magic formula for me seems to be a compression horn with a 15 inch woofer or so. I've been tinkering with Altec stuff for the last couple years and I also have an affinity for Lowther drivers. I registered locally for the speaker rescue team, they have a way of following me home like lost little puppy dogs.

I'm not very technical but I seem to memorize things that work. Assembling things is right up my alley since I am well versed with a crescent wrench. Woodworking skills are ehhh...you would be surprised how difficult it is to cut straight lines and round circles. I try to avoid this type of work but can hack and whack my way around. I think I'm getting better at soldering, lately I made a few sets of inter connects, it involved cutting, assembling and soldering and all the blue smoke stayed in the wires this time. In case you are wondering where this is heading, you'll probably see that I'll be asking a lot of questions down the road.

So, you may be asking how I ended up here. One of my SET buddies, the guy that builds my amps has been raving about a JBL 4320. We both have Altec A5's but he also scored a JBL 4320 and has been trying to help me acquire a pair. To make a long story short I ended up here comparing 4320's with L200's and that's how I ran into Heather. I listened to her modified L200 and loved it, it seems I missed the 5 day window when she thought about selling them. I loved the 2397 horn she had on it and the tweeter was also very nice. So, I ended up acquiring her empty cabinet.

Name:  IMG_2756-vi.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  121.9 KB
    So here's where I am so far. I have the cabinet

Name:  photo1-vi.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  153.0 KB
    And a pair of 2397 horns that need to be painted.
    I also have one 4331 crossover ...more on that later

I should be picking up a single 2405 tweeter tomorrow and a couple brackets for it.

I'll also be looking for the following:
    2 - 2328 2 inch horn adapters - to mount the driver to the 2397 horns
    2 - 2445J drivers for the 2397 Smith's horn
    2- bass drivers , Heather is using 2234s I think and I'll need to understand the difference between them and 2235s. Not sure which one I'll need yet
    2- Lpads? think I'll need a pair of those
    1- L200 cabinet

Anyway, looks like I'll be stuck in the finding an L200 cabinet stage for a while. There were a pair for sale near Baltimore on CL that I missed out on. Note to self, I should have gone to get them when they were available. Ah well...

Name:  IMG_2773-vi.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  128.7 KB
    I guess I can put these pics up, they show this cab is actually pretty nice. The walnut veneer is in pretty good condition. I'll have to read up on seeing if I can tidy the veneer up a little.

Name:  IMG_2770-vi.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  132.2 KB
    Looks like the riser is a little beat up. I'll pay around with that, maybe make a new one out of ply wood I have laying around

Name:  IMG_2769-vi.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  109.7 KB
    Looks like I might have a could screw holes around the horn driver to fill and looks like I'll need to figure out what the lpads are that will work with the crossovers I want to use. I wonder if anyone has a paint code for the front baffle board.

Whilst picking up the components for my 4320, I was also able to pick up a couple items for my L200 project.

Name:  IMG_2243-vi.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  80.9 KB
    An LE85 driver

Name:  IMG_2240-vi.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  68.3 KB
    A 2405 driver

Name:  IMG_2244-vi.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  59.6 KB
    And some tweeter brackets

Name:  IMG_2279-vi.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  92.1 KB

It was nice to get my hands on some of the drivers so I could start sorting out the mounting hardware. I'm not sure what the threading is but I was able to deduce the tweeter has threaded holes. Better yet, I was able to find a screw with the proper threading on my second attempt. Usually, that doesn't happen.

Name:  IMG_2280-vi.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  59.0 KB
    I also found the right screws for the 2307 horn driver. It's hard for me to imagine all that weight from that assembly is supported by 4 screws off the front baffle board.

Also, it looks like the threaded screws I'll need for the bass drivers are 10-32. I should be able to load up on the correct screws after I hit Lowes. Anyway, making progress

It's hard for me to imagine all that weight from that assembly is supported by 4 screws off the front baffle board.
    The driver should be supported from below or hung from above (bracket/strap/cradle/whatever).
    If the L200 was built without (?), I'd add it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    The driver should be supported from below or hung from above (bracket/strap/cradle/whatever).
    If the L200 was built without (?), I'd add it anyway.
    The L200s have a metal strap that is sandwiched between the LE85 and H91 and attaches to the cabinet to support the driver.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The L200s have a metal strap that is sandwiched between the LE85 and H91 and attaches to the cabinet to support the driver.

Widget
    Maybe he could fashion a support from a piece of 2x4, fit it into place, and once fitted,
    glue it in place permanently to support the horn/driver?

Of course, those L200s started as empty cabinets - the brackets were probably long gone ...

The L200Bs I have now were assembled from pieces like that system -
    I'm pretty sure my internal horns/drivers are just supported by those big countersunk philips head screws through the front baffle.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I did wedge a 2 x 4 under it, lol. I am guessing that they added it to the L200, perhaps because of the particle board cabinet.

The 4320 was plywood so maybe they decided it wasn't needed there.

I dunno, it does seem like a lot of weight hanging in the air like that. I'll probably braced the 4320 one as well. Wonder where i can find those straps. I haven't seen them for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    I did wedge a 2 x 4 under it, lol. I am guessing that they added it to the L200, perhaps because of the particle board cabinet.

The 4320 was plywood so maybe they decided it wasn't needed there.

I dunno, it does seem like a lot of weight hanging in the air like that. I'll probably braced the 4320 one as well. Wonder where i can find those straps. I haven't seen them for sale.
    I'm guessing originals would be very tough to find, but they look like they would be pretty easy to duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I'm guessing originals would be very tough to find, but they look like they would be pretty easy to duplicate
    Dimensions ...?

Pictures ... ?

Specifics ... ?

All helpful ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I'm bummin' I blew away a nice post on the 4320 thread...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Dimensions ...?

Pictures ... ?

Specifics ... ?

All helpful ...
    Mine are still in use, what did you do with yours? I have the flu, no way I'm ripping into my L200's to take a pic. Back to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Mine are still in use, what did you do with yours?
    I have the flu, no way I'm ripping into my L200's to take a pic. Back to bed.
    Sad to hear that - flu bug is nasty this year!

Anyway, mine are also in use - tho I've got the external smith horns connected
    so they are doing mids on my L200s ...
    If you or anyone gets a chance, it'd be nice to know what the mid-driver support bracket is like -
    neither of mine had them!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Sad to hear that - flu bug is nasty this year!

Anyway, mine are also in use - tho I've got the external smith horns connected
    so they are doing mids on my L200s ...
    If you or anyone gets a chance, it'd be nice to know what the mid-driver support bracket is like -
    neither of mine had them!

I'm alive! Sorry for the grumpiness. Get a flu shot if you haven't already; you do NOT want this. Found this on my phone:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information