Need advice.. I am in the process of rebuilding a pair of factory original JBL L300s built on 9-14-1976. The bass drivers are 136a's with 2231A cones. Both of these need new foam surrounds. I have both drivers ready for new surrounds, one of them had a smashed dust cap so I have removed it. The voice coil gap of this unit seems to be a bit tighter than the other unit by feel. Upon inserting the spacer shims in preparation to center the surround I noticed that the shims in certain places around the coil seem to catch on what feels like a loose bottom winding of the voice coil. with all shims removed I am unable to move the cone vertically without VC rub. The other speaker does not exhibit this at all (nice free movement). If my theory is correct I would like to remove the cone and VC, reattach the bottom winding and re-assemble, so as to preserve the original VC & 2231a cones. So my questions are:
Is it possible to remove the spider in such a way that it can be reused? If so how?
If not can I obtain OEM spiders for 2231a and should I only replace the bad one or would I need to do both speakers?
Due to cost I am not ready to recone both speakers with 2235 as many have done.