Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thick cables sound better?

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    You underestimate the power of commercials

Btw, pyonc the low and high outputs are simply shorted together, no magic here:
    Thanks for the pic, Martin. That MIT cables look impressive!

Does anyone remember Kimber cables?

I while ago I made diy Kimber with cat 5 cables...the results with pure copper diy spades were quite interesting.

Taking idea further wind the fulling insulated wires around a thin hollow core diy style

If that seems like too much hard work, bi or tri wire but do not lume the 3 cables togerther using thickest cable for the woofer and thinner for mid and hi.

Thick cables carry large current pulses better then thin cables so they are great on woofers.

The down side is thicker cables have higher self inductance and capacitance.(reactance).

Depending on the modelled RLC of the cable that can effect the ampliifer an how it responds to the cable and speaker load which in itself is a complex RCL.

Most amps use feedback to set closed loop gain, reduce distortion and control stability (damping or ringing).

Interferring unduley with what the feedback might sense from the speaker terminals may result in changes to the amp transient performance and other parameters

Of course the best cable is no cable or terminal at all so keep cables short and stout with clean terminations!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Of course the best cable is no cable or terminal at all so keep cables short and stout with clean terminations!
    Thanks for your great suggestion, Ian.
    By the way, I've got a question here :
    How can you clean these vintage binding posts or terminals of 4343,
    unless you have them replaced with a modern system like our forum member martin2395?
    Any good idea?

You can clean them but they will remain outdated and are quite useless if you want to use cables with spades or banana plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Thanks for your great suggestion, Ian.
    By the way, I've got a question here :
    How can you clean these vintage binding posts or terminals of 4343,
    unless you have them replaced with a modern system like our forum member martin2395?
    Any good idea?

Check out parts express.com item 269-103. They're overstock terminal cups from Mirage with WBT-style terminals. I ordered some similar ones last year to make wall plates for my surround speakers and love them. It's easy to get a good grip to clamp down on your wires or spades and they accept banana plugs too. Plus they look real nice and only cost $2.50 each!

Maybe they would work to replace your posts, assuming you would want to.

Regarding Kimber Cables

In my opinion, one of the best values in very good quality speaker cables is the Kimber 8TC.These usually sell for (retail) a bit over $400.00 a pair, but you can pick up a good used pair for a couple of hundred. There are several excellent reviews of these cables going back a number of years . Just noticed that there happens to be a pair for sale on Audiogon at this time for $265.00 or best offer (no Affiliation) . If you want to spend a bit more money (used), I'd also recommend the Audience AU24 speaker cables. The audience retails for over a grand new, but once again, if you don't mind buying used, they can be had for $400.00-$500.00 for a two meter pair with terminations. Good luck in your quest!! regards, Paulie

Thanks a lot for your great comments and feedback, guys.
    After all, there is no "best" cable, right? I don't want to spend thousands on them; rather I'd spend on source gear.
    While googling on the topic, I've come across an interesting piece:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...speaker-cable/

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Thanks a lot for your great comments and feedback, guys.
    After all, there is no "best" cable, right? I don't want to spend thousands on them; rather I'd spend on source gear.
    While googling on the topic, I've come across an interesting piece:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...speaker-cable/
    I'd suggest that is a wise direction to take.

From your link: "But keep in mind that this is the least important piece of gear in your entire home theater setup and the impact it makes is negligible."

I agree completely... I won't say speaker wires and other audio cables have no impact, I have certainly heard better and worse cable pairings, but compared to everything else... including the room, this is a silly area to spend a significant portion of your likely limited resources on. Also, please realize that as a single group, the cable manufacturers are the most profitable. Their industry presence and ad buying power will affect even the most honest reviewer as well as the opinions of many listeners.

Widget

Thread Information