Thread: JBL 2123 to E110 and Foam Rot

JBL 2123 to E110 and Foam Rot

I have four blown JBL 2123's.Where the foam which was on the pole piece has rotten and got stuck to the voice coil (voice coil rub) and the voice coil had overheated. I managed to source some rare genuine E110 recone kits at a cheap price to recone to E110 due to 2123 re-cone kits expensive price here in the UK.

Is there any substitute for the foam that does not rot away?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun M View Post
    I have four blown JBL 2123's.Where the foam which was on the pole piece has rotten and got stuck to the voice coil (voice coil rub) and the voice coil had overheated. I managed to source some rare genuine E110 recone kits at a cheap price to recone to E110 due to 2123 re-cone kits expensive price here in the UK.

Is there any substitute for the foam that does not rot away?

Thanks
    I use a HVAC register vent filter material - Purafilter 2000. It's a white, tough, fiberous material that appears to be indestructible with time. Another fellow member in Chicago is using it as well. Glue in place with automotive "trim cement" (natch). No guarantees, on-going experiment. Seems ideal thus far. Must be similar stuff in the UK.

Many of the re-coners here in the states use a swatch of grill cloth. I adaopted this early on but moved on to stiff nylon screen like that used in the back of the SVG motors.

My method for cutting out the pieced for this is a heated piece of sharp edged metal tube of a gasket cutter. This leaves a thin solid edge and a very nice circle that is easy to bond in place with either the Moyen glue that comes in the kit or the instant adheisive used for bonding the the spider to the basket. I believe this is a forever solution.

An easy source for this is a screen print shop if you don't mind white or a motorsport engine air filter outerwear wrap from the likes of K&N if you want black.

All the best.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Many of the re-coners here in the states use a swatch of grill cloth. I adaopted this early on but moved on to stiff nylon screen like that used in the back of the SVG motors.

My method for cutting out the pieced for this is a heated piece of sharp edged metal tube of a gasket cutter. This leaves a thin solid edge and a very nice circle that is easy to bond in place with either the Moyen glue that comes in the kit or the instant adheisive used for bonding the the spider to the basket. I believe this is a forever solution.

An easy source for this is a screen print shop if you don't mind white or a motorsport engine air filter outerwear wrap from the likes of K&N if you want black.

All the best.
    Barry.
    Hey Barry - That's a very clever idea with the heated gasket cutter tube to get a nice circle with a solid edge (melts the nylon). Would work with the filter material I mention above as well which is of nylon derivative. Good show! I guess a lot of people just leave this little filter out entirely but it serves a purpose - especially in a dirty environment. Mike

Thread Information