Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL photos from CES

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    If you have only heard Everest's at a trade show....
    I agree with you about trade shows... moreover, I'd suggest you really can't tell the difference between very good speakers and exceptional speakers in a brief dealer visit or at a trade show. The differences between a very good speaker of which there are many and the exceptional speakers are all in the subtleties.

That said, an Everest is a big bold visual and aural experience... an exceptional mini monitor will never do what they do, but then again, they don't do what the very best mini monitors do either. I did hear the demo at the Hard Rock... I thought Ron and his team did a credible job demonstrating them and was glad to see that they put in the effort.

As for the spacing at the show... they were only slightly closer together than I have mine set up. I enjoy the hell out of my 66000s in this configuration. I've had the 1400s and K2-S9900s in the same place in my home. The 9900s won WAF, but they didn't do what the 1400s do with holographic imaging and they don't have the scale or immediacy of the Be 66000s... I'd like to give the 67000s a go, but even forgetting the cost issue, dealing with these massive and slippery beasts is so unpleasant I can't see the differences worth the effort. I'll continue enjoying the music a few more years before I'm psyched for the logistics involved in swapping out the massive beasts.

Obviously, I am not as committed as you... and my drive was only just over 8 hours.

Widget

Interesting that both your wife and mine preferred the K2. I guess it has the best proportions of the three. The Everest shouts "big over the top speaker" and the 1400 Array says I'm a conversation piece. My wife actually bought a pair of speakers from my audio store prior to knowing me and then upgraded once we started to date. She admits the Everest's sound great and since I sell audio for a living she has graciously accepted them in our home. I would continue to enjoy your DD-66000's. There are other smaller differences, but so far I would say that the biggest difference I can hear is less 100-200hz on the 67 vs 66 which gives the impression of more bass extension. Obviously you could get a similar balance on the 66 with some EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    If you have only heard Everest's at a trade show, I can understand how somebody could think they aren't as great as advertised. Harman's CES area at the Hard Rock was nothing more than a huge, I mean huge, empty space finished off with all of the fixtures and equipment you would expect at a trade show. The Everest's were in a space sectioned off by some very flimsy make shift walls, incapable of containing any bass and only allowing a muffling of the rest of the sound happening outside. They were set up fairly close together, about 7-8 feet apart, and listened to at only 10 feet away or so. Given all of the disadvantages I thought they sounded real good. Deep bass was down at bit as expected and there was some small amount of upper bass coloration, common at trade shows. The DD-66000 is a very good speaker and right now is extremely competitive at it's street price, if not a best buy. I've only been listening a few hours to mine, but the 67 improves upon the 66 while maintaining the basic essence. It's just more linear with a better octave to octave balance and it seems to have less energy storage with a quicker bass attack and decay.
    Cool, sounds good.
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information