Thread: Blown 066?

Blown 066?

I have an all original pair of L166's and after a short but extemely high-powered CD listening session, I noticed one tweeter was dead-produced no sound at all. I was using an Emotiva 300 wpc amp, so the power was clean and they sounded great. I heard nothing out of the ordinary in the listening session. I remember reading in the owner's manual years ago that clipping or overdriving an amp could obviously cause damage, but this was not the case. I didn't realize the tweeter had issues until the next day. I was able to isolate the tweeter by swapping it between the two cabinets. I've had various JBL all my life and have never had a blown driver. My question is the 066 fixable of trash? If I have to replace the tweeter, should I replace the pair with similar resistance levels or is matching them not a big deal? I'm sure I can find one on eBay, but hate to throw it away if there is a way of bringing the 066 back to life. Like I said, probably a stupid question, but wanted to be sure before I chucked this nice example and bought a new on on eBay. Thanks, Gino

A visual inspection of the tweeter's innards would be the place to start, including the little ribbon wires.

OK, I took tweeter apart and the small wires connecting to the external posts are intact. The only place I could not check is the area right next to the dome, which appears to have some kind of gasket covering part of the wires. It's too close to the dome for me to risk causing any more damage in the case that it is salvageable That's about the extent of my capabilities. Any more ideas?
    Last edited by Gino; 01-16-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: wrong terminology. Still wrong, but much improved!

Possible Service For 066 Tweeters

I would contact Ken at Upland Speaker Service www.uplandloudspeaker.com

He recently serviced my pair of 044Ti that were considered 'unserviceable' by other JBL service companies. The 044i voice coils were not damaged, but the diaphragm foam dampening pads need to be removed, the VC gap cleaned of debris and replacement pads added. This service restored my tired, soft-sounding tweeters back to full frequency extension out to 20kHz+.

He use to be factory-authorized for JBL warranty service and will likely know what can be done.

Retroman, thanks for the tip. I'll be getting in touch with Ken. Great town, Dana Point. Visited there many times. Thanks again. Gino

Thread Information