Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Music of Outstanding Merit

Quote Originally Posted by Radley View Post
    Brave Combo from Denton, Texas.
    Maybe the best band ever?
    Very well recorded albums.
    My local library came through. I can't argue with well recorded. But best band ever? Tex Mex Polka (I'm guessing here ) has a fairly limited audience. Sh*t faced in a tequila bar they would be a great party band .
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Quote Originally Posted by jbljfan View Post
    Sh*t faced in a tequila bar they would be a great party band .
    I had no idea you were so poetic.

Widget

Was out cycling yesterday , always carry the Nano. I have non-blocking earbuds and don't turn it up load.

On shuffle, up came Stephen Stills "Spanish Suite" , and I though to myself "this is so good that it belongs on Clark's thread" ..it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFaEPe5DCRo
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I don't know which album you picked up. If it's "A Night On Earth" -"Laura" is a salsa classic. The title track is wonderful also. "Do Something Different" -a ten! I asked BC why they didn't use the title track in the movie and they were baffled about it as well.
    Brave Combo is so different and electric that you might need to listen to them a few times. Good starter albums might be "The Process" , "The Exotic Rocking Life" & "No, No, No Cha Cha Cha". Not many bands can play as many styles as Brave Combo all of which they do well and not many bands have had a song covered by Bob Dylan.

I'd nominate this one .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=qoek1e8t2K4 , both for it's social importance and presentation.

It's really evocative for me. Actually listen to the lyrics.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'd nominate this one .... It's really evocative for me. Actually listen to the lyrics.
    A big +1 from me, too. I love it on the live concert DVD. One of Nash's finest contributions.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yes the What’s Playing Now thread was to disseminate findings of great recordings… “Just wondering if you guys will post some great recordings you’ve heard here. Jazzy”. Now in my opinion it is just an endless mundane list of every single recording ever pressed to Vinyl submitted by one member, with a photo of the disk on a turntable, and zero useful information about why it is a great recording. Geeeez.

My Music of Outstanding Merit is a somewhat strange finding. OK I am 55ish and I freely admit I hate the majority of all new recording artists. My list of trash artists is long and I can honestly say I rated the female artist Pink very equal to Justin Bieber.

Now as it turns out my brother brought a pile of Blu-Ray concerts from Amazon. He bought them around and wanted to trial a few tracks from each; testing my system since I did an upgrade on HF amp and dbx (http://imgur.com/a/O13gD). “Toto Falling In Between” – excellent, “Eagles – Farewell Tour” – excellent, “Phil Collins Live at Montreux” – excellent, then hmmmm he wanted to sample some of the “Pink The Truth About Love Tour”. Having commercial carpet tiles in my HT I thought it will be easy to clean up my projectile vomit so I agreed. To my surprise it was pretty good. What was more surprising is I rarely like things on a first listen. Anyway now a few weeks on, and me having watched this end-to-end about half a dozen times, I must say it is a fantastic show. She has a fabulous voice now (mid 30’s age???), the band is great, the backup singers great, her rapport with audience is great, the dancers (cum acrobats) brilliant, sets excellent and stage show amazing. It has a tiny bit of a Cirque du Soleil feel about it. You game to try it?????

Maybe I should be more open as to what I let into my musical collection. ahahha.

Jarrrods, you have highlighted a situation that Baby Boomers usually find themselves in. Like many previous aging generations, we (I'm sixty-seven) tend to become closed minded about music; nostalgia often informs our search for music more than curiosity. Why does this matter? Because we tend to play music that makes us happy, but when our minds become closed to new things we are unaware of because we (ignorantly) feel it is all garbage based on hearing only the most popular offerings, we miss out on some of the best, most fulfilling music available. The past has no monopoly on talented, creative musicians. I recall one frequent contributor here who said he liked the first Santana album then lost interest in the rest. I appreciate sticking with what you know you like, but man, what a way to miss out.

I have written elsewhere here that through the Rhapsody service I have found more music that I like than I could ever have time to hear. Most of it is less than twenty years old and in genres I never paid attention to before. In other words, I had missed them, and I was missing out on what is now much of my favorite stuff.

To go out on a limb a little, I might also suggest that nostalgia and memory are second rate tools to find more music one might like. An excellent way to miss almost everything else. And to never realize that a lot of what we used to like was not very good after all, just familiar, easy and comfortable. Personally, I have found that Classic Rock I know does not sound very good any more, but a lot of things I missed at the time, as well as newer music, was/is better than it ever was, as far as my enjoyment of it. Rant over.

I need to add that finding music on Rhapsody does not keep me from buying media. When I feel strongly about a CD, I buy it. A lot of them are imported but most of those are available on stateside web retailers. I am buying more music than I have in many years. It is amazing how much music you can buy when you are satisfied with your stereo and spend the money on music instead of equipment.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros - The Hellcat Years

I don't know how many on this side of the pond are familiar with Joe Strummer after The Clash. In that band he was the lyricist, lead singer and rhythm guitar player. After their breakup he didn't have money and went on a busking tour. For fourteen years he played here and there, acted in films and remained true to his calling as a cultural observer of special merit. He developed organizations that still help the planet. Then he formed another band.

The Mescaleros were all crack musicians, each as good as you might ever hear. Strummer may have been one of the best lyricists ever, but this band was no backup conglomeration. They came to play. What a joy they are to hear on this collection of more than fifty songs in the studio and in concert. Strummer was indeed a great songwriter but was keen on many genres of music. World, reggae, ska, Scottish music certainly, Rockabilly, Rock, Punk, folk, and more. It's all here. IMHO the combination of Strummer's superior musical sensibilitles, his lyrical genius, his compelling voice and a stage presence so poweful it was audible, his skill at bringing superior, sensitive musicians to the party and his wisdom to give them their head on virtually every occasion resulted in some of the most compelling (and most fun to hear) outfits ever.

I will commit critical sacrilege and opine that this particular flowering had a musical if not a cultural presence equal to Dylan and The Band. And as briefly. Not long after Joe Strummer got this going he died way too young. No wasted Rock casualty, he had an undiagnosed heart defect that killed him suddenly. But shitcan all the commentary and bask in this music. Rarely is music this good also this much fun to listen to while remaining totally devoid of pop fluff. Completely accessible but musically and spiritually elevating; now there is an ideal to strive for. I found this listing on Rhapsody. Sorry vinyl people, this collection is a nice sounding digital download only from the Hellcat label.

Google indicates only digital downloads, at least at the moment.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Timothy Leary's dead

of course ,
    Ride my see-saw ain't bad either

(I was searching for a lost cord (USB, I think) last night )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXCIWlm1fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CqwECqxGf4

Barbara Dennerlein - Love Letters

Until now, Hot Stuff had been my favorite Dennerlein CD of those I have heard. I am still working through them on Rhapsody and wherever I can audition a disc. Love Letters, from 2001, is my new favorite and IMHO music of outstanding merit. The first track doesn't belong on the CD at all, but the rest is something else. Just her and a great drummer. The vibes, bass, piano, everything else are her MIDI and synth work, through the Hammond for the most part.

The music I cannot readily describe, but it is spectacularly engaging of the senses. She has a complete command of her instrument - it reminds me of hearing Harvey Mandel playing guitar, in that the music is wherever she takes it and is not limited by the instrument. She has played with symphony orchestras and something of the experience has rubbed off, her work here being utterly complete as opposed to compartmentalized or limited. Like this music or not, it has the right stuff to be an incredible experience. Jazz is too narrow a category to define this work, and I never thought I would say that. When you have a track called "Frogs In Space" it is not easy to put it in a particular box.

Her CD In A Silent Mood, a solo effort, is part way to it. It's really good. It's Magic is a live concert with just her drummer again, but nowhere near this awesome work.

Tool. Probably the most dynamic music I've ver heard is Tool. I now use a few of their songs as test evaluations. If you're into punchy bass, you'll have a hard time finding any tighter and punchier. The finger plucking on the 5 string bass and the kickdrums will find the weak links in any system.

http://www.toolband.com/album/index.html

a few favorites are, "Prsion Sex" and "Swamp" on the second album down.

Availability Update For Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros: The Hellcat Years

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The Mescaleros were all crack musicians, each as good as you might ever hear. I found this listing on Rhapsody. Sorry vinyl people, this collection is a nice sounding digital download only from the Hellcat label.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Google indicates only digital downloads, at least at the moment.
    An update. All four CDs that make up this set are available. The three studio discs are available in the remastered versions heard on this download. They have, between them, the bonus tracks from the collection, and the live disc is available separately. Being a huge fan, I have ordered the studio CDs.

Name:  41PHIPMJJLL.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  24.5 KBName:  71ItmqvdjuL._SX522_.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  27.4 KBName:  41flLnRZbIL.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  24.6 KBName:  61fewmE-ybL._SS280.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  33.9 KB

If you want to to try only one of the Mescaleros CD, I recommend Global A Go-Go.

Thread Information