Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Music of Outstanding Merit

I would add the debut albums of THE DOORS, Led Zeppelin , CCR & Santana and in some cases their seconds also . ie: Strange Days & Abraxas

Nominated also, but just for their body of work ...TYA*, Rolling Stones , Simon and Garfunkel and the Mamas & Papas

* A Space in Time comes close.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

...This will become whatever it becomes, but the concept I had in mind is to not misuse "great" or "genius" and to reserve this space for music that has more than nostalgia or danceability, or catchy lyrics or licks going for it. I do not expect there to be any concensus whatsoever about what qualifies, so "that sucks" commentary has no useful place here. Perhaps there is a place for music being judged by its quotient of social commentary, but it is the music itself I am thinking of, not so much the lyrics alone. Recording quality could be considered, but that is actually "Recordings of outstanding merit," not Music of Outstanding Merit if you get my drift. We don't judge Bach on how well the performance was recorded. .....

]
    In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I would recommend trying Sandy Bull's "Fantasias for Guitar and Banjo." That is the 1963 debut recording by Bull. Side 1, is a 20 minute duo improvisation called "Blend", with just guitar (Bull) and drummer Billy Higgins. Stunning performance, the likes of which are rarely caught on tape. Not the best recording quality, but that's not the point, I suppose. The record was finally transferred to digital a few year ago, I believe, just before he died. Here's an image of the cd cover:

Name:  SandyBullReInvention.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  51.3 KB

This thread is great. Gives me ideas of new music to buy and enjoy. I agree completely about lack of option in new music. But I think there are a few. I do think Norah Jones has an amazing voice. But each person has there different likes and dislikes.

Nick

Karan Casey

Eva Cassidy is a worthy pick indeed. I can think of one current singer that rivals her in quality, while sounding completely different. Karan Casey is Irish and sings in both English and Irish. Last year the concert that got away was a student union appearance in Madison, Wisconsin. I simply could not make it to a duo tour of Karan and the brilliant guitarist John Doyle. These two often perform together, I have gathered. I hope so. Karan has a very Irish voice, mid to high in range and very sweet, but with a vibrato that Edith Piaf would have wished she had - less strident and more lilting, as is the Gaelic manner. By comparison Piaf was a belter. I personally like contraltos much better than sopranos and a lot better than altos, but I can't take any exception to Karan's singing. Her singing voice has unusual depth of character - as if you could hear her talking in there. It is not achingly pure as most diva voices are. I like to hear singers this good with bare minimum accompaniment, another reason Dual is a favorite. Whatever you may think of Karan's voice, I feel the duo of she and Doyle makes music of outstanding merit. You can bet I will order the CD. The audio snippets on Amazon have me reaching for my wallet. I swear Doyle plays like an Irishman raised listening to John Fahey. Here is a link to a YouTube audio of the duo's CD's title song. This CD is not available on Rhapsody but everything else of hers is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03GUV_eTFt4

In the past I have linked to this audio of Karan. Here it is again. The song is from her The Winds Begin To Sing CD. Sorry to make both examples in English, she is transcendentally hypnotic in Irish. She is considered a Celtic artist, as is Doyle, but the larger audience is into English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXyRPEHCLNQ

Name:  51NYMdb7CML.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  58.2 KB

My premature announcement of Janis Ian's demise was a confusion with Laura Nyro. I get confused a lot, I am old. By the way, when Sandy Bull was starting out my sister and I used to get off big time on his take on "Memphis" as well as "Blend." Great stuff.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

The Who and Bowie !

BOWIE ,I believe to be the most influential artist in the latter part of the 20th century . Never a afraid to kick down doors ,he worked with funk to punk and classical artists. He threw everything into the pot and from it served to inspire new breeds with new sounds .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlWUQedW9I

and another fave …. thanks to HP for taking me back to this at the German get togethers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Y64dpZGnE

great thread Clarke !

not an immediate candidate

my fruity Nano went mute again (don't know if crappy firmware or crappy software) ,
    but I had to reload it again (after refreshing it's OS)

so I looked for new materials besides what gets normally loaded. This time it got
    Feliciano!

a 1968 album by Puerto Rican guitarist José Feliciano. It has been the most successful album of his career in the USA. It reached no. 2 and stayed for 59 weeks in the album charts (no. 25 end-of-year charts 1968 and no. 66 end-of-year 1969). It was no. 3 on the R&B charts in 1968 and no. 3 on the Jazz charts as well, and it went up to no. 1 in Canada and to no. 6 in the UK; it was nominated for a Grammy in 1969 as "Best Album of the Year" and producer Rick Jarrard received a nomination as best producer of the year, but Jose Feliciano actually won two Grammys as "Best New artist" and for "Best pop male song of the year" with the song "Light My Fire".

I don't know if it's nostalgia or what () , but I've really been enjoying every single cut on this album. It was most likely out of tune with 1968 , but for me at least, it has held up well and is like an old friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feliciano!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I know Widget prefers live sets, so here is an overachiever. Bill Evans: The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961. Don't take my word for it, ask Heather. I know she owns it. If you enjoy Jazz and you don't like this a lot, you might be a Kenny G fan. It's a boxed set, priced reasonably.
    Got it today. Looking forward to many hours or enjoyment.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Not sure this qualifies as outstanding to those who do not get Hendrix, but last week, at a Half-Priced Books place, I found "Axis: Bold As Love" on a re-do, family tagged, heavy disk.

I have not listened to vinyl in about a week, but this just cried to be played. It looked ok at the store and I just bought it. I cleaned it, etc. I let it dry for a week. I have just put it on for the third time and remembered what it meant to me the first few times I heard it.

I am now thinking of buying ALL the family vinyl. This record sounds amazing!

I have to say this is one of the best SACD's that I own. I feel it is of outstanding merit. Very high quality recording and it is hard to find a better Sax!

XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

I did not know the DVD-A was available since I only own the SACD but the DVDA' s are demanding around $200.00 now. I'm glad I have the SACD and I can't imagine what the DVD-a Sounds like fo $200.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

OKAY ....TV themes don't get much respect, but these 2 seem distinguished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz3WM...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vcZ1k4d02KA

and I recently discovered this:

Peter Green The supernatural 1967

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul4hx...yer_detailpage

Sandy Denny
    the person ms. denny replaced in fairport is quite a vocalist as well.

this was supposedly done in robt. fripps basement, on a reel to reel -

with fairport -

still singing -

http://judydyble.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

song sung in breton - (the language as well as the place)

included in a movie soundtrack by hans zimmer.

then remixed by some guy, with some bass added for the young at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    BOWIE ,I believe to be the most influential artist in the latter part of the 20th century . Never a afraid to kick down doors ,he worked with funk to punk and classical artists. He threw everything into the pot and from it served to inspire new breeds with new sounds .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlWUQedW9I

great thread Clarke !
    My favorite Bowie is actually a cover. He took the brilliantly mnimalist Pablo Picasso by the Modern Lovers and transformed it into a high energy statement of pure musical exuberant joy. Here it is live. Poor video but OK sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Ro_QC2V9U
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Some time back I caught the end of a PBS show called:

Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orb...nd_White_Night

Really enjoyed the little that I did get to see and it re-kindled a long lost affection for Roys music . (The Beatles are noted for saying that RO is the one act that they hated following)

So I grabbed all the Roy material that the library had. The Monument years are the best of the discography , AVOID "Laminar Flow". His last , "Mystery Girl" is quite good.

Through it all I kept coming back to A Black and White Night . It was insisted that the live performance stayed as close to original as possible and only the extension on "Oh, Pretty Woman" strays. It was a stellar supporting group ...

"The special consisted of a performance of many of Orbison's hits at the then Ambassador Hotel's Cocoanut Grove nightclub (Los Angeles) in Los Angeles, filmed on September 30, 1987, approximately fourteen months before his death. Three songs, "Blue Bayou", "Claudette", and "Blue Angel", were filmed but not included in the original broadcast due to time constraints.
    Other celebrity admirers of Orbison were in the audience, including Billy Idol, Patrick Swayze, Sandra Bernhard, and Kris Kristofferson. The backing band was the TCB Band, which accompanied Elvis Presley from 1969 until his death in 1977: Glen D. Hardin on piano, James Burton on lead guitar, Jerry Scheff on bass, and Ronnie Tutt on drums. Male background vocalists, some of whom also joined in on guitar, were Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, and Steven Soles. The female background vocalists were k.d. lang, Jennifer Warnes, and Bonnie Raitt. During the end credits, several of the band members are shown talking about how Orbison influenced them.
    The audio from this special was released as an album by Virgin Records in 1989, titled A Black & White Night Live."

I picked up the vinyl last year , but was getting a faint hum when transferring to MP3 , but most digital copies are DVD and the CD is difficult to find. My local game store did tho, a really nice CD for $2.50 was the hightlight of that day.

Brave Combo

Brave Combo from Denton, Texas.
    Maybe the best band ever?
    Very well recorded albums.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information