Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Music of Outstanding Merit

Quote Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
    I'm sorry but as not a native English speaker I can't figure out what's the meaning of "Music of Outstanding Merit". Terrific music/art underrated?
    Your English is better than my French could ever be. Music of outstanding merit should be close to the best you have ever heard. I also encourage telling us about music we have probably not heard before.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Hi,

I concur with Malefoda and aggree with FritzTheCat in #100, as if I turn on my online dictionary dict.leo.org that usually proves very helpful for me to participate the discussions here and in many other boards, I get no less than 18 different meanings for »outstanding« and six for »merit«. That calculates to 108 possible combinations. One of the »outstandings« even could be re-translated as »to be done yet«. So I also have some issues in unterstanding how it is meant exactly. Or may I ask if this thread been intended as coterie?

Best regards!

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Hi,

I concur with Malefoda and aggree with FritzTheCat in #100, as if I turn on my online dictionary dict.leo.org that usually proves very helpful for me to participate the discussions here and in many other boards, I get no less than 18 different meanings for »outstanding« and six for »merit«. That calculates to 108 possible combinations. One of the »outstandings« even could be re-translated as »to be done yet«. So I also have some issues in unterstanding how it is meant exactly. Or may I ask if this thread been intended as coterie?

Best regards!
    After i have tried to discuss this question in my post No. 100, there was a severe consequence: i was banned from this forum for 2 weeks: censorship of critical questions? They gave me the advice to leave this thread....
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Well, I'm prepared !

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Hi,

Best regards!
    You can have outstanding debt, obligations, or responsibilities. Things you have not yet paid, taken care of, or performed.

If you are outstanding at something, you are among the best, at the top of your group, occupation, or skill. In this sense outstanding is not a large universe of people but instead a small, unique, and highly qualified sub-set. A rare honor bestowed on the few.

Merit simply means you deserve the accolade for whatever you are outstanding at. You've earned it, and deserve it.

But I realize this thread was not begun as a discussion. And I have a deep abiding appreciation for all recommendations the OP has offered over the years.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

just to muddy things a bit

;)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Fleet Foxes

This is their first and only excellent album they have put out to date...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYaw...I-xGt&index=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U6Ae39QGzU

long as I'm poluting this already poluted thread.

sorry Clark, just one more to confuse our Euro friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

LOL!

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock602 View Post
    Yup - after folks Like Mingus, Bootsy and all the others -
    Bushy One string is pretty pointless ...

Find better material - but,
    you killed the whole point of this thread ...
    This is just more "What's Playing Now" than "Outstanding Merit"
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yup - after folks Like Mingus, Bootsy and all the others -
    Bushy One string is pretty pointless ...

Find better material - but,
    you killed the whole point of this thread ...
    This is just more "What's Playing Now" than "Outstanding Merit"
    I find it outstanding. I also own a dozen or so Mingus albums. I'm sure if Mingus were alive today, he would find Brushy's artistry outstanding.

This thread is being killed by pointless and bullying commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Sometime in the past I may have suggested that someone create a thread with this purpose. The What's Playing Now thread is probably the most popular thread here, but I seem to remember its original intent being to present music of unusual merit. What it has become is wonderful, but I would still like to see a thread to post truly outstanding music on.

This will become whatever it becomes, but the concept I had in mind is to not misuse "great" or "genius" and to reserve this space for music that has more than nostalgia or danceability, or catchy lyrics or licks going for it. I do not expect there to be any concensus whatsoever about what qualifies, so "that sucks" commentary has no useful place here. Perhaps there is a place for music being judged by its quotient of social commentary, but it is the music itself I am thinking of, not so much the lyrics alone. Recording quality could be considered, but that is actually "Recordings of outstanding merit," not Music of Outstanding Merit if you get my drift. We don't judge Bach on how well the performance was recorded.
    so much for that

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock602 View Post
    I find it outstanding. I also own a dozen or so Mingus albums. I'm sure if Mingus were alive today, he would find Brushy's artistry outstanding.

This thread is being killed by pointless commentary.
    No, Heather (hjames) is right. This thread managed to be about musicians who did/do what they do better than anyone else has. Until recently. Robert Pete Williams and Son House did this so much better. They were preternaturally expressive and gifted and sounded like it. William's "Prisoner's Talking Blues" and House's "Death Letter" are well known and easy to find; these are not obscure, esoteric recordings. Brushy is sincere and his music is honest, which are good things. But he is not a great talent at expressing what he feels through music.

I appreciate and cherish so many musicians and songwriters and composers, many of who are not even close to the best at what they do and do not belong in this company. The whole idea of this thread - and I know because I started it - is to raise the bar as high as you can imagine possible. It's about the musicians who raise it to where it is.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    No, Heather (hjames) is right. This thread managed to be about musicians who did/do what they do better than anyone else has. Until recently. Robert Pete Williams and Son House did this so much better. They were preternaturally expressive and gifted and sounded like it. William's "Prisoner's Talking Blues" and House's "Death Letter" are well known and easy to find; these are not obscure, esoteric recordings. Brushy is sincere and his music is honest, which are good things. But he is not a great talent at expressing what he feels through music.

I appreciate and cherish so many musicians and songwriters and composers, many of who are not even close to the best at what they do and do not belong in this company. The whole idea of this thread - and I know because I started it - is to raise the bar as high as you can imagine possible. It's about the musicians who raise it to where it is.
    Early in this thread Deep Purple, Iron Butterfly and Captain Beyond were mentioned. These bands were interesting to me when I was a teenager. Not so much now, pretty mediocre stuff.

But I understand that you need to side with hjames. No problem there. I will not post in your thread any longer.

Thread Information