Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Music of Outstanding Merit

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock602 View Post
    Early in this thread Deep Purple, Iron Butterfly and Captain Beyond were mentioned. These bands were interesting to me when I was a teenager. Not so much now, pretty mediocre stuff.

But I understand that you need to side with hjames. No problem there. I will not post in your thread any longer.
    That makes you ahead of nearly the entire Baby Boomer generation (my generation), who still listen to Classic Rock endlessly. Don't feel the need to ban yourself; do you have a streaming service? Try some of the older suggestions here with which you are not familiar. (MA Recordings, unfortunately, does not stream anywhere, and perhaps Provocateur either.)

My mantra is if you love something find it being done even better by someone else. It's a process for sure and most of the more qualified suggestions here are the result of nearly countless iterations of it. A sixty plus year listening experience like mine is not necessary if one makes a conscious effort to own this process. Most of my fellow Boomers have never done it even once. I can tell from your postings on your threads that you recognize talent (I realize that finding and sharing new talent makes for threads a lot more fun than this one). If you have any desire to, give yourself a chance to be a valuable member of this thread. It just takes time. It can be a year between posts here from anyone because it is not every day - or every year - that one finds music created at this level.

I need to mention that I am not "siding" with Heather, she was "siding" with me; a better way to phrase it, Heather has an experienced and profound understanding of the mission I intend for this thread to accomplish. Blame me if you don't like what she said.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    It can be a year between posts here from anyone because it is not every day - or every year - that one finds music created at this level.
    Thanks for the eloquent redirect.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Tolerance

That makes you ahead of nearly the entire Baby Boomer generation (my generation), who still listen to Classic Rock endlessly. Don't feel the need to ban yourself; do you have a streaming service? Try some of the older suggestions here with which you are not familiar. (MA Recordings, unfortunately, does not stream anywhere, and perhaps Provocateur either.)

My mantra is if you love something find it being done even better by someone else. It's a process for sure and most of the more qualified suggestions here are the result of nearly countless iterations of it. A sixty plus year listening experience like mine is not necessary if one makes a conscious effort to own this process. Most of my fellow Boomers have never done it even once. I can tell from your postings on your threads that you recognize talent (I realize that finding and sharing new talent makes for threads a lot more fun than this one). Give yourself a chance to be a valuable member of this thread. It just takes time. It can be a year between posts here from anyone because it is not every day - or every year - that one finds music created at this level.

I need to mention that I am not "siding" with Heather; she was siding with me. Blame me if you don't like what she said.

Yes, it is your thread. We respect your limit of tolerance. Auf Wiedersehen!
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Your English is better than my French could ever be. Music of outstanding merit should be close to the best you have ever heard. I also encourage telling us about music we have probably not heard before.
    Ok thanks,
    can't think of such records now, I'm quite a mainstream guy and being a non-musician makes very hard to judge if one is a great master. But I'll keep that in mind and share if I find such

Mixing up my threads

It occurs to me that several references I made in recent comments here were about music I featured not here but in my twin thread Music That Expands Our Horizons. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...s-Our-Horizons.

MA Recordings, Provocateur Records and Hilary Hahn's music are the misplaced mentions. Hahn's In 27 Pieces was from another thread and I don't remember where. I was referring to that and Silfra.

Posts #1 and #7 easily qualify to be placed in this thread. Maybe I'll drop them in here if I figure out how, but I do tire of reading my own suggestions. It's not that I think they are lame; I so enjoy hearing about phenomenally good music I have not heard yet.

Another Anna Calvi offering

PJ Harvey and Anna Calvi, while looking and sounding nothing alike, are in a class by themselves. So it would be no surprise that they might deserve more than one mention here. The cover image shows nearly the entire performance ensemble. Anna's Telecaster and pedals, herself, and the choir. I find myself at a loss as to who else might have done this nearly as well. Harvey didn't need any help in her brilliant solo turn on the "From The Basement" TV program. (A true solo effort; she set up and packed up her gear herself.) That's about it.

Album Description

In 2015, David Byrne invited Anna Calvi to perform at the Meltdown Festival of which he is the artistic director. The Brit (Calvi) opted for an unusual arrangement – surrounded by a 12-piece choir – to revisit songs picked from her first two albums, Anna Calvi and One Breath. The recording of this unique show in London was published in 2017 on Record Store Day as a red double vinyl. Now, one year later, we have an official version in Hi-Res 24-Bit. With this unique vocal halo, Anna Calvi’s songs have found an epic, mystic and quite astonishing second wind. Let yourself be carried away by rock which is disconnected from its time and these songs consisting of dark and haunting poetry. Magnificent. © Marc Zisman/Qobuz

Name:  Anna-Calvi-Live-At-Meltdown-packshot.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  52.4 KB

Tash Sultana, NPR Tiny Desk Concert, April 7, 2017.

I don't believe in channeling, but this woman's level of artistry is so advanced it seems supernatural. This is a Tiny Desk Concert so the audio and video quality are not bad. Just select "HD" and stream away. As you may already have discovered, Tiny Desk is like being in the only seat in the World's smallest club. This performance is also on YouTube if that is less intimidating, but the sound there is throttled.

Talent almost beyond measure and she is on fire.

https://www.npr.org/2017/04/06/52284...y-desk-concert

Wow!

Thanks.

I hope anyone checking this person out makes it through to the third song. There's a lot of talent inside that body and soul.
    I'd recommend at least a good pair of headphones in your laptop or phone.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks for sharing this Clark!

Widget

More than a Tash of perfection.

What really got to me is not that she does so much, but that every single note (and its tone) she played or sang was indistinguishable from perfect for what the moment needed. Working the performance through Pro Tools for a year would not have improved a thing. How can someone do that with material so complex and so full of passion? She is special, yes?

Thread Information