Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Music of Outstanding Merit

Appalachia Waltz

Mark O'Connor, Edgar Meyer and Yo-Yo Ma. What could go wrong? Nothing did. The mostly original music on this recording is an even bigger attraction than how brilliantly it is being played. Meyer and Ma are from "classical" music, but this is based on the feel of Texas fiddle music, not Bluegrass or classical. It is not at all what I expected and that is why it took me over a decade to get around to listening to this 1996 leftover from my late mother's collection. This music is breathtaking in its impact on the soul. Where there is a piano, that is Meyer as well.

Name:  Appalachia Waltz.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  165.8 KB
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Foxglove & Fuschia, Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh

With my limited funds, I always hope for a good return on my spending. This time I definitely backed the right horse. My (very) modest Kickstarter contribution To Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh’s new CD helped produce something astonishing.

Foxglove & Fuschia (MUNA 002) is very Irish, split between Irish (Gaelic) and English, and is brilliantly executed. The recording is without fault, but more importantly, her already heady gifts have stepped into another realm altogether. Her Irish flute and whistle playing is now second to none that I have heard. The real shock is her vocals. Her control over her voice is now up there with the late Thad Jones’s control over his trumpet.

Recorded in West Kerry with local musicians – who it ends up are second to none – this is not pub music but rather something more emotional and subtle, which has been typical of Muireann’s recordings as a leader. My lifetime of listening to music of all stripes leaves me with no concept of how to improve this recording.

The title track is something very different for her. The vocal comes from a place other than Celtic music, more akin to the tools in a “Classical” or even a Jazz vocalist's box. It is subtle, no showing off here, and it serves the material to perfection. This song is beautiful, just lovely. I did not know she could do this style.

Throughout the CD, her control of pitch, timbre, dynamics, and vibrato is remarkable, more so because the subtlety in no way hampers emotion or accessibility. She has become a World class vocalist. Not to take away from her playing, which has grown to match her singing.

If there is any chance that this genre of music is anything you might remotely enjoy, this recording is completely recommended. Not my words, but her work on this CD has been described as "Mysterious Perfection." Available on her website through Bandcamp for fifteen Euros. CD Baby so far has only the download. Not on Importcds yet. http://www.muireann.ie/

Name:  muireann-album-Foxglove & Fuschia.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  62.9 KB

Foxglove & Fuschia on Napster now

As the title says...

Bravo, my friend - another exceptional album! First you introduced us to Julie Fowlis, and now Muireann!
    Ordered it for Christmas, tho it just arrived today. More info after I listen further - but 3 tracks in and we're sold on her!

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    With my limited funds, I always hope for a good return on my spending. This time I definitely backed the right horse. My (very) modest Kickstarter contribution To Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh’s new CD helped produce something astonishing.

Foxglove & Fuschia (MUNA 002) is very Irish, split between Irish (Gaelic) and English, and is brilliantly executed. The recording is without fault, but more importantly, her already heady gifts have stepped into another realm altogether. Her Irish flute and whistle playing is now second to none that I have heard. The real shock is her vocals. Her control over her voice is now up there with the late Thad Jones’s control over his trumpet.

Recorded in West Kerry with local musicians – who it ends up are second to none – this is not pub music but rather something more emotional and subtle, which has been typical of Muireann’s recordings as a leader. My lifetime of listening to music of all stripes leaves me with no concept of how to improve this recording.

The title track is something very different for her. The vocal comes from a place other than Celtic music, more akin to the tools in a “Classical” or even a Jazz vocalist's box. It is subtle, no showing off here, and it serves the material to perfection. This song is beautiful, just lovely. I did not know she could do this style.

Throughout the CD, her control of pitch, timbre, dynamics, and vibrato is remarkable, more so because the subtlety in no way hampers emotion or accessibility. She has become a World class vocalist. Not to take away from her playing, which has grown to match her singing.

If there is any chance that this genre of music is anything you might remotely enjoy, this recording is completely recommended. Not my words, but her work on this CD has been described as "Mysterious Perfection." Available on her website through Bandcamp for fifteen Euros. CD Baby so far has only the download. Not on Importcds yet. http://www.muireann.ie/

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Bravo, my friend - another exceptional album! First you introduced us to Julie Fowlis, and now Muireann!
    Ordered it for Christmas, tho it just arrived today. More info after I listen further - but 3 tracks in and we're sold on her!
    As always, thank you for considering my suggestion. Thank you for supporting this musician with your purchase. I hope you ended up enjoying it. Muireann is a famous artist in the Celtic music scene, but Ireland and Scotland are quite small time by US standards. Muireann had not recorded a solo project CD since 2011, and when she came off the road recently after thirteen years fronting the supergroup Danu - to raise her young daughters back home in West Kerry - she was not with the means to record. At a friend's suggestion, she tried Kickstarter and the fifteen thousand Euros was successfully subscribed. Imagine Beyonce or Taylor Swift bringing in a CD for that money.

Here is a link to her Kickstarter page for the project. The video shows this delightful woman giving her gentle pitch. If you are curious about how Kickstarter in particular or crowdfunding in general works, looks and feels like, give the page a look.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bhs-solo-album

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

Third time through the CD, an extraordinarily beautiful work of music.

Much thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Smile Be kind to our web footed friends ...

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Frank Zappa's "Bolero"

not the most challenging piece of music from Ravel, but Zappa adds some life to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hiDYE5Qdw

Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2

Frank Zappa "The Yellow Shark"

an excerpt from the page linked below...

"Singer Tom Waits has listed it as one of his favourite albums, commenting: "The ensemble is awe-inspiring. It is a rich pageant of texture in colour. It's the clarity of his perfect madness, and mastery. Frank governs with Elmore James on his left and Stravinsky on his right. Frank reigns and rules with the strangest tools."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Shark

Isn't any FZ album music of outstanding merit?

Best regards!

Noooo

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Isn't any FZ album music of outstanding merit?

Best regards!

Noooooo!
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

I agree, Zappa put out several albums that are, in my opinion, unlistenable. "Jazz From Hell" is one that comes to mind

The merit in his music is that generally it is by far more intellectual than the output of most other US artists (that is streamlined to the huge US market).

Best regards!

Intellectual music

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    The merit in his music is that generally it is by far more intellectual than the output of most other US artists (that is streamlined to the huge US market).

Best regards!
    The intellectual input to modern music should not be overdosed. Too much of it will spoil your party! Frank Zappa mostly spoils my party!
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Thread Information