Thread: Altec A7 416A 811 500hz vs Altec A7 800hz which sounds better and more Efficient

Altec A7 416A 811 500hz vs Altec A7 800hz which sounds better and more Efficient

can you guys help me out. I have access to a pair of altec a7 what the buyer claims the drivers are from the 50s because of the green colour drivers. n500-g xover 500hz, 811 horns 416a 16ohms i would like to purchase but i hear from others the 800 hz is better with a7. if neither are what is the ultimate sounding A7 voice of the theatre please list the drivers crossovers
    and horn models. appreciate your expert experience. Thanks
    Last edited by vinny; 12-26-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: correction

Good morning Vinnie

Did you day 811b horns with an n500 network? Those two do not play well together.

Anything below 1Kz will sound honky on this 811b. They are often crossed at 1200KHz for this reason. BTW There's not such a thing as the ultimate sounding A7. Everyone has different tastes... ;-) Why don't you just buy them and experiment a bit? Then report what pleased you...

hi all thanks for that information. The horn driver is 802D and crossover is N500 G woofer is 416a..everything is 16ohms with the green drivers. The seller is is asking bit over Two bills. Is it fair price low or high? Came out of a theatre.

Wow. Why does the owner (or you) think they are worth 2 grands?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Wow. Why does the owner (or you) think they are worth 2 grands?
    I agree 2 k is waaaaaaaaaay high, now if your talking $200, that's a good deal.

AL

i dont know why but i do know for those who live in canada there are people selling A7s for high dollar even with inferior drivers and not even 16ohm and not even with original crossovers. If you consider 802d drivers sell for 800 a pair on ebay and N500 crossovers sell for about 450 to 500 and the horns for i dont know how much and the 416as i havent checked yet maybe 500 lets say and how much the cabinets 300 that adds up to over 2gs so hes not asking for the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Anything below 1Kz will sound honky on this 811b. They are often crossed at 1200KHz for this reason. BTW There's not such a thing as the ultimate sounding A7. Everyone has different tastes... ;-) Why don't you just buy them and experiment a bit? Then report what pleased you...
    The 828/811 has a quintessential air coupling phenomena....which is why the A7 is in a class by itself..

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    i dont know why but i do know for those who live in canada there are people selling A7s for high dollar even with inferior drivers and not even 16ohm and not even with original crossovers. If you consider 802d drivers sell for 800 a pair on ebay and N500 crossovers sell for about 450 to 500 and the horns for i dont know how much and the 416as i havent checked yet maybe 500 lets say and how much the cabinets 300 that adds up to over 2gs so hes not asking for the sky.
    Well. If following this reasonning, one establishes the price of a parted out system at $2k when components are scaterred all over eBay, then the complete system shall sell for much less. Try selling a cabinet over the net - cabs usually have value close to zero. Then spend hours answering emails. All the time spent sourcing heavy duty cardboard boxes and the very carefull packing. All that time and effort is not spent when somebody buys the whole system. So, establishing the price of the complete A7 by adding itemized prices might not be the best way. If the OP is interested, then it is up to him to make an offer. Say, $1k. Owner will refuse, until he realizes nobody calls him. Then when he accepts the offer after a few weeks, $1k becomes what the complete A7 is worth. If the OP wants to ay $2k, then it is his money. ;-)

the counter arguement is where are you going to find an a7 from the 50s these days? And a guy i know recently who had one sold it for much more than the buyer i know is asking. You cant go to your local goodwill and pick one up. Do you have one or know where a pair is now thats 16 ohms for under $1000 that has all the top original drivers in it? I will come and pick it from you in quebec tomorow.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    the counter arguement is where are you going to find an a7 from the 50s these days? And a guy i know recently who had one sold it for much more than the buyer i know is asking. You cant go to your local goodwill and pick one up. Do you have one or know where a pair is now thats 16 ohms for under $1000 that has all the top original drivers in it? I will come and pick it from you in quebec tomorow.
    Indeed. You can either find some 1950s A7 at the junk yard or in a collector's auditorium. It all depends on what value you put on them. If they are your Valhala, then buy them. Among other things, I like 1950s motorcycles, but to some, they are just junk. And I accept that.

did you find your altecs motorcycles and jbls at the junk yard?

Thread Information