Thread: Gear with PRaT ? IYHO

Question Gear with PRaT ? IYHO

OK, PRaT ( http://www.stereophile.com/reference/23/index.html ) is a completely subjective perception for a piece of audio gear. Many just use the term "sweet".

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=89485
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/desc...und-a-glossary

I would use the term very selectively . Would label my Denon Dp-60L (with v-15VXLM?) and the departed L-86's with this tag. Also maybe my ESS AMT10b's too.

IF you understand what I'm referring too, then ... what piece of gear do you feel qualifies for this category ?? ((expecting some answers with "Pass" in the reply), ...and tho I really like my 250ti's , wouldn't put them in that class))
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Oh my oh my , this is a can of worms should I continue ?

18Ti's have 'it' BTW although 250's in my opinion didn't , the physical layout made the sonic presentation disjointed IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Oh my oh my , this is a can of worms should I continue ?

18Ti's have 'it' BTW although 250's in my opinion didn't , the physical layout made the sonic presentation disjointed IMO.
    Oh, absolutely continue , there are NO wrong answers (within reason)...OBTW , I also have 18Ti's and while I do like them , do NOT find them exceptional.

Re 18 ti's , try feeding them as if they were a high end speaker. Keep them about 1 ft from the wall and up at ear height. They play well beyond their price point and have a coherence that is very special for a wee un.

Re 18 ti's , try feeding them as if they were a high end speaker. Keep them about 1 ft from the wall and up at ear height. They play well beyond their price point and have a coherence that is very special for a wee un.
    they are up on 20 inch Target stands, about 4 feet from walls. have never heard them in a different placement, your suggestion is worth a try. they sure benefit from the PS100 powered sub tho.

At this moment, the 18Ti leads are instead hooked to some Mission 760i's (sitting on top of the 18's) that are pretty good paired with that sub.

That V-15T3 seems to have "it" too (as did the DL-103)

the physical layout made the sonic presentation disjointed IMO.
    yup, I too am a sucker for small 2-ways

Thanks for the heads up on the 250s. My experience has been mostly with B&W, KEF, Mission which I would say do more or less qualify. As do my L5s. But the Infinity Kappa 9s are in a league by themselves. I cannot find fault with them. 6 way combination of ribbons and dynamics. They do everything well. Listening to them is like living in Texas... "Great Big". Coupled with a pair of Acoustat TNT200 amps, they are lightning fast. It'll be interesting to see how they fare against the 4345s I'm finally going to get underway.

Been working on a computer project today and so fired up the real audio system (the daily PC system sounds great, but big format is just better) in the same room.

It's a while since I was able to sit and just listen to the Arcam FMJ CD23 disk player. It's played about 3 hours now with zero listener fatigue. Rest of the system is Adcom pre & amp , a/d/s L1290 towers.

I'm not an audio reviewer who can spew out pages of flowery prose to describe minute sounds , but I'm hearing detail in familiar Cd's that were missed before. The vocals are so outstanding. The entire presentation is so natural. There is a turntable in this same system and the Arcam reminds me of opening a new, shrink wrapped LP and playing it for the first time, but with more dynamic range and detail.

I took a break and read reviews for a while. This Stereophile one was very typical. ==>> http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/251/ . Of all the user reviews that I read only 1 did not describe it's brilliance. That one thought there was better out there (although at higher prices).

Just to confirm, I got out the downloaded (&burned - legally - d/l came with the LP) copy of "Wish You Were Here". No more convincing needed

Back to thread topic ...PRaT. yes, I think the Arcam (and by extension dCS "ring DAC") surely qualify for that label.

Thread Information