Thread: JBL XPL200 DX-1 alternative

JBL XPL200 DX-1 alternative

Hello fellow JBL enthusiasts.

It seems that many XPL200 owners are in need of the JBL DX-1 crossover. If you are looking for a DX-1 there may be an alternative that has the potential to work as good or better than the original DX-1.

The miniDSP 2x4 appears to be able to imitate a DX-1 and more. With it you can supposedly roll your own crossover and apply room corrections via its parametric EQ. I do not yet have one of these devices to test, but believe it could work quite well.

Has anyone tried one of these? I would like to hear about your results.

Quote Originally Posted by antoninus9 View Post
    Hello fellow JBL enthusiasts.

It seems that many XPL200 owners are in need of the JBL DX-1 crossover. If you are looking for a DX-1 there may be an alternative that has the potential to work as good or better than the original DX-1.

The miniDSP 2x4 appears to be able to imitate a DX-1 and more. With it you can supposedly roll your own crossover and apply room corrections via its parametric EQ. I do not yet have one of these devices to test, but believe it could work quite well.

Has anyone tried one of these? I would like to hear about your results.
    That's interesting.
    Have you tried leaving the jumpers on (using a single amp) and moving the switch from normal to bi amp ?
    I'm curious because mine seem to put a lot of mid range to the woofers when I do this.
    And I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit-rock View Post
    That's interesting.
    Have you tried leaving the jumpers on (using a single amp) and moving the switch from normal to bi amp ?
    I'm curious because mine seem to put a lot of mid range to the woofers when I do this.
    And I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
    When you go into bi-amp mode you need an external crossover otherwise you're just running the woofers full-range. No different than any other bi-ampable speaker.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I investigated the voltage curves published here some time ago, and ended up with the following:
    Low-pass: 2nd order, fc=300Hz, Q=0.4
    High-pass: 2nd order, fc=350Hz, Q=0.67

This can be achieved pretty easily with DSP crossovers, or by building specific Sallen-Key circuits if you want to stay analog.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    When you go into bi-amp mode you need an external crossover otherwise you're just running the woofers full-range. No different than any other bi-ampable speaker.
    The Acoustic Research AR-9's from '79-'80 didn't do this with me
    But then again they didn't have a switch either.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit-rock View Post
    The Acoustic Research AR-9's from '79-'80 didn't do this with me
    But then again they didn't have a switch either.
    AR-9s allow you to do two-amp or four-amp bi-wiring but it's not true bi-amping unless you uncouple the LF driver from the internal crossover and use an external active crossover. Anything else is still using the internal passive crossover and not really offering the advantage of running the bi-amps on discreet frequency ranges to maximize their potential. The switch on your XPLs disconnects the woofer completely. That's why it requires an active external crossover. There's nothing wrong with your XPLs and you said it yourself, the ARs don't have such a switch.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    AR-9s allow you to do two-amp or four-amp bi-wiring but it's not true bi-amping unless you uncouple the LF driver from the internal crossover and use an external active crossover. Anything else is still using the internal passive crossover and not really offering the advantage of running the bi-amps on discreet frequency ranges to maximize their potential. The switch on your XPLs disconnects the woofer completely. That's why it requires an active external crossover. There's nothing wrong with your XPLs and you said it yourself, the ARs don't have such a switch.
    Again I really appreciate the expert knowledge Brother.
    I love the xpl's but I guess I was expecting them to act like the AR-9's when removing the jumpers and powering them with 2 amps....the woofer acting simply as a low freq driver only, like a sub.
    Actually they do but unlike the AR-9's, powering the xpl's with 2 amps in normal mode doesn't seem to make much difference sonically ( if any at all) so I'm beginning to wonder if I would even benefit with 2 amps as opposed to just 1......
    I'm fairly certain 2 amps would be beneficial in regards to higher listening levels but my higher levels really doesn't create the "need" for more power.
    Thanks again gentlemen

waking up this thread :-)
    Has anyone, tried to mimic the DX1 with a DCX2496 from beringher? if yes, can you give me the parameters that you put in it?

I cant really say I tries to mimic the DX1 since I does not use EQ in the low region of my XPL200`s, but I bi amp them trough a minisdsp 10x10 and highpass the 115H-1`s at 250hz 12db/oct, the 2214H`s are lowpassed at the same freq and slope AND highpassed at 50hz 18db/oct.

BUT I try to mimic the BX63a with the 10x10, since i use a 2245H below 50hz and have added the EQ JBL used in their B460.

Since the 10x10 handles 8 channels i have also the ability to highpass 3 XPL140`s for center and rear use.

Sorry for the shitty photo (cheap phones allow money for more important toys)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jayce996 View Post
    waking up this thread :-)
    Has anyone, tried to mimic the DX1 with a DCX2496 from beringher? if yes, can you give me the parameters that you put in it?
    Just came across this post.
    The 2nd order filters I listed a few posts above cannot be directly executed with a DCX as the unit does not have variable Q second order filters.
    You can get pretty close using available filters together with an EQ point though :

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Low-pass: 2nd order, fc=300Hz, Q=0.4
    becomes:
    Low-pass: "L-R 12", fc=303Hz (closest available frequency step)
    EQ: -1.9dB, Q=0.5, fc=303Hz

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    High-pass: 2nd order, fc=350Hz, Q=0.67
    becomes:
    High-pass: "Butt 12", fc=352Hz (closest available frequency step)
    EQ: -0.5dB, Q=0.71, fc=352Hz

Hope this helps

Hello Pos,

didn't see your comment before, but did just implement it and currently listening some dire straits & rolling stones song with these new parameters.
    that's way better! the tweeter & mid-bass are more present , that's a real pleasure :-)
    thank you very much!!!
    I'm now searching for the floor stands MTX200 & the DX1 even if now the XPL200 are sounding wonderfully!
    thanks again!!!

You are welcome, I am always happy to help

To continue help about from French guys hereafter is a vintage approach (whereas I own and use DSPs):

In my old thread in a French forum about JBL UREI 5235, I proposed an alternative to DX-1 by using a 5235 with a custom crossover board to populate yourself using 18dB blank card or hacking 18dB or 18dB FFBREQ or CCBREQ filter boards: http://www.jbl-vintage.com/t3066p50-...-jbl-urei-5235

search post "Carte filtre pour JBL XPL-200"
    If you need any help about (as it is in French, I've no available free time to start a complete translation to create a thread here), tell it.

Thread Information