Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small amp for 2405?

Hi, JuniorJBL,

WOW!! Huge brutes of amps, they are! My mouth is watering, just looking at them. However, I'm afraid price and logistics won't work out for me, right now. But, I very much appreciate your kind and generous offer to help. If I had a few more coins of "play" money in my jeans right now, I'd certainly give this Gent a call. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

If you use a Crown D75 you will have to use a protection cap for your 2405. They have a DC bump several seconds after power down. The D45's do not do that. I have directly driven my 2404's and 2405's with D45's for years with no issues ever. If I remember right the D45's are about 13V max out so they will clip at about 14 Watts into a 12 Ohm load like the 2405. At home everything else is usually plenty loud. I have never lit the IOC lights at home.

Oh yeah, I think they sound fine on top.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I bought my first pair of slots (077) in 1975. Since then, I have accumulated three other pairs (2405s) and also a pair of 075s (bullets).

I remember seeing them for the first time in sound reinforcement applications - like sets of 15 per side in rock concerts.... I'm not sure how they were driven..... ...probably Crown solid state.... This was the era when JBL blew past Altec in sound reinforcement ....

I'm not sure when they went out of production but the run was very long because nothing else can touch them... I assume this had something to do with the advent of titanium frams...

For my 3 way active I'm using

2245 - Crown K1
    2118 - Hifimediy T1 (tripath 2050 chip) 50 watts
    Tad 2002 - 41hz Amp 6 (tripath 2020 chip) 12 watts, output in parallel, battery powered, 1 amplifier per driver.

The Tripath amps are very smooth. The 2020 chip is a lot smoother than the 2050 chip.

I also have 2 of each, Crown D-300II and D-150II that I don't use.

Dan

I own a number of vintage amplifiers and if I was going to classify one amp as incredible on HF or almost anything it would be my ancient Yamaha P2050 (P-series in general - I own several). The entire series, actually. If I can find it I will post the amp attempting a five Hz square wave. The factory tested them this way before they shipped them. I kept the test papers for some of the early ones I have.

The test graph looks really close to a square wave ... at 5Hz, 100Hz, 1KHz, 10KHz. But, I know, we would all like to see how they perform at 20KHz or maybe 100KHz.

What else I can tell you is that they are quiet. So little hiss that you will never notice it sitting a couple of feet away.

Hmm … I hear no hiss when I put my ear right up against my 2405s driven by a Crown PS-200.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Evening, All,

Ok, so if the hunt for a small amp is narrowed down to older, more affordable, Crown amps, which is the "Best of Breed", D45, D60, D75, or D75A? I had decided that, just to cover the base, a protection cap would be used for both the 2445, and the 2405, no matter which amp I choose. So what are the pluses and minuses of this stable of older Crown amps? Which would you choose, and why? Thank, and God Bless!
    Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Greetings, All,

Forgot to tell you: I pulled the trigger on a very nice Crown D150A SeriesII a few days ago! Today, visiting a friend in San Diego, a huge and heavy Peavey CS1200X Professional amp came home with me, as a gift. Don't know, for sure, what this big amp will do, if anything, in my project system, but it was a fun gift, anyway! So all that's left, for the most part, is a small amp for the 2405's. Seeing all this finally coming together is really enjoyable and fun! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. The D150 II is for the 2445 drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Evening, All,

Ok, so if the hunt for a small amp is narrowed down to older, more affordable, Crown amps, which is the "Best of Breed", D45, D60, D75, or D75A? I had decided that, just to cover the base, a protection cap would be used for both the 2445, and the 2405, no matter which amp I choose. So what are the pluses and minuses of this stable of older Crown amps? Which would you choose, and why? Thank, and God Bless!
    Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Evening, All,

So, any help on which of the smaller Crown amps might. Be "Best of Breed"? Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Doc

Evening, All,

So, any help on which of the smaller Crown amps might. Be "Best of Breed"? Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Doc
    Hi Doc - I ran D60s on a tri-amp (077 UHF) for a couple decades with good results. Recommend getting any old stuff "refreshed," as you know. I've used Crown amps (new) since the seventies and they all finally degrade in one way or another. Noise, stability. Sneaks up on you! But, you know the drill! With the drivers you are using, the 3155 network (bi-amp) would make the whole exercise simpler. Similar to Giskard's 4345 project (thread). Mike

Hiss/noise is often a problem with vintage gear but after recap and re-adjustment they will be good to go for the next decade.
    I wouldn't run my supertweeters with a vintage amp that has no output relay and DC protection.

Good Morning, All,

After spending some time checking out the different small Crown amps, I've narrowed my choices to either the D45 or the D75. I think the D45 will work perfectly with 2405's, but also see the D75 as being a little more versatile, if I ever wanted to use it for something else. A third option is to get the D45 now, and add a D75 fairly soon, just for fun! Any thoughts about the D45 compared to the D75? Thanks, friends, and I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!! Take care, and God Bless!

every Good Wish,
    Doc

Howdy, All,

Decided to go with the D45, to start, and bought what appears to be, and what I HOPE will be, a nice one! After it arrives, I'll post a report. Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Howdy, All,

Decided to go with the D45, to start, and bought what appears to be, and what I HOPE will be, a nice one! After it arrives, I'll post a report. Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Hey Doc,

I pulled the trigger on a D45 recently and it arrived today. Looks like new. Playing it with some small sacrificial JBLs right now to "burn" it in. Sounds very nice! It's hooked up to a Soundcraftsmen PRO PT-TWO sitting atop a spare PS400 and PS200 in the same room for testing and evaluation. This brings the Crown collection to (at least one of each) D45, D75A, D150, D150A-II, DC300A-II, PS200, PS400, PL3, Studio Reference-II, plus SL2, FM2, FM3, VFX2-A.

How's your project coming? I'm all set now to resurrect the 030 system in bi-amp form. All I need is space and time!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information