Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Kenrick Sound Doing ? Doping? Cosmetics?

water base

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Google translation from Japanese

In addition, since the ultra-pure water accounts for 65%, equal to almost no change in mass after drying, there is no characteristic as soften or harden the cone paper at the same time. Therefore, it is unlikely also impact on the sound quality.
    http://jbl43.com/
    I've seen what happens to a piece of paper after it gets wet and then dries out..

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    I've seen what happens to a piece of paper after it gets wet and then dries out..
    But its not a piece of paper - its a thicker shaped, formed cone ... probably more akin to some kind of doped pulp than to a sheet of paper
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I think I know what the secret formula is - it's refill ink for deskjet printers or something like that because the cone absorbs it in a second, just like in the YT clip.
    I bought a small bottle at the local printer supplies shop and look! That's exactly the finish I wanted.

You have to do it in 2-3 layers, and let it dry for 24 hours+ as it will dry very slow. When wet it also has a slight dark purple glow.

Pity that Kenrick charges €20 for their paint, I bought a bottle of printer ink for 5 euro's.

Painting cones

I have had great results using SEM Color Coat #15243 Satin Black for touching up both Altec (411) and JBL (LE14 & 10's) cones. It is a flexible coating used for restoring color to automotive upholstery. I made 3 quick passes about 15 minutes apart. The color is rich and has held for several years now. I did a test on a paper disk with the same application and the weight increase was 0.3 grams. There has been no discernible change in sound.

George

Speaker cone painting

Hi, Would like to know what sort of applicator did you use for the printer ink and or seat dye., thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by KTG View Post
    Hi, Would like to know what sort of applicator did you use for the printer ink and or seat dye., thanks,
    The SEM products I've used in the automotive field were are rattle-can applications.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...pUrRoCSMLw_wcB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The SEM products I've used in the automotive field were are rattle-can applications.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...pUrRoCSMLw_wcB
    May be I am wrong, but JBL cones are gray.

regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    I agree, and I've never coated a cone. i was responding to the question about applicators for the recommended items of others.

That being said, the SEMA coatings do seem to blend into whatever they are applied to. Using a dye on a carpeted rear deck of a car they seem to darken rather than blacken the surface.

And, they do offer many colors:

http://www.semproducts.com/manage/ht...r_card_web.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post

regards
    ivica
    Different models are different shades of gray. Some are bluish others more neutral. On the later drivers the 4" dust caps are black.

Personally I wouldn't put anything on my drivers... I suppose ink or dye would be OK, but I wouldn't spray on any coatings.

Widget

I used a plain, soft paintbrush, nothing fancy. It took me a long time because the paintbrush was too small and I was too lazy to buy a bigger one
    Don't paint on the surrounds because they will become very glossy.
    Just don't be scared if you see stripes/uneven color, it's normal after first layer.
    Let it dry (can take quite a few hours) and then bring on another layer and it should give a nice spotless finish.

I coloured my cones because my 2235h's were (ugly!) light gray with almost black dustcaps and the 2123h's had a kind of yellowish discoloration. probably due to sunlight and cigarette smoke.

Thread Information