Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Kenrick Sound Doing ? Doping? Cosmetics?

What is Kenrick Sound Doing ? Doping? Cosmetics?

Hi all,

I saw this video on the weekend and have become very curious about what exactly KENRICK SOUND is doing here. In the video he seems to be painting the cones ???? Does anyone know what is going on here? If he "doping" the driver? Is this done simply for cosmetics, or does this have an audible affect? I mean depending on what he is using this may add significant weight to the cone. Well, I would love to hear back from you if you know what is going on in the video. I will post the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwWMYzainA

Looks like plain speaker paint

I would have expected something like an Aquaplas coating - but from watching the video,
    it really does look like he's painting white domes and white speaker cones black ...

Quote Originally Posted by archiekaras View Post
    Hi all,

I saw this video on the weekend and have become very curious about what exactly KENRICK SOUND is doing here. In the video he seems to be painting the cones ???? Does anyone know what is going on here? If he "doping" the driver? Is this done simply for cosmetics, or does this have an audible affect? I mean depending on what he is using this may add significant weight to the cone. Well, I would love to hear back from you if you know what is going on in the video. I will post the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwWMYzainA
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Google translation from Japanese

Revive colored color is (dye-based colorant) the cone of the speaker unit faded.
    I finished the three duty 15 inches unit. 1 piece left image is the cone paper of colored paper cone after coloring before, on the right. You'll notice the air is revived stunningly beautiful. Procedure easily! Advances paint along the center of circle with a brush attached. It is hard to become the uneven coating overlap, you can expect a clean finish easily to everyone. Color and beautiful natural features. Because Do not be things like changing the mass of the cone paper, the coloring agent, different from those concentration, viscosity, such as paint so-called high, becoming the like to dye was purified well. In addition, since the ultra-pure water accounts for 65%, equal to almost no change in mass after drying, there is no characteristic as soften or harden the cone paper at the same time. Therefore, it is unlikely also impact on the sound quality. Solvents, coloring agents, constituents that are prominent are wetting agents. It depends on the environment in which the speaker is placed with respect to light resistance and durability, but If it is not place special direct sunlight such as hits, it indicates the property of fading gradually through a period of 2-3 years. It is possible to maintain the state if it is possible to maintain again in the span to see the change. Please revive the JBL unit of hand. Of course, you can use it for every cone paper manufacturer, of the type. ※ I except for the special type of coating, such as was given. ※ Please check the color image. 500 yen nationwide uniform postage ... Yamato Transport business delivery

http://jbl43.com/

I remember Visaton also making some kind of speaker cone dye. Just can't find it anymore.....

+
    Found it!
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Visaton-LTS-5...item58a793540d

But it looks like it changes the characteristics of a speaker, from google translate:

To increase the internal damping, suppression of partial and linearization of the frequency response.

Prevents fading of the membrane.

Especially suitable for cone speakers with paper cones.

Water until hardened.

Content: 50 ml

Thank you very much for the reply, but I still do not understand. What is it ? and where do I buy it? I would like to do some JBL cones. Also is there a white version for Yamaha NS10s. Again, much appreciated !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Google translation from Japanese

Revive colored color is (dye-based colorant) the cone of the speaker unit faded.
    I finished the three duty 15 inches unit. 1 piece left image is the cone paper of colored paper cone after coloring before, on the right. You'll notice the air is revived stunningly beautiful. Procedure easily! Advances paint along the center of circle with a brush attached. It is hard to become the uneven coating overlap, you can expect a clean finish easily to everyone. Color and beautiful natural features. Because Do not be things like changing the mass of the cone paper, the coloring agent, different from those concentration, viscosity, such as paint so-called high, becoming the like to dye was purified well. In addition, since the ultra-pure water accounts for 65%, equal to almost no change in mass after drying, there is no characteristic as soften or harden the cone paper at the same time. Therefore, it is unlikely also impact on the sound quality. Solvents, coloring agents, constituents that are prominent are wetting agents. It depends on the environment in which the speaker is placed with respect to light resistance and durability, but If it is not place special direct sunlight such as hits, it indicates the property of fading gradually through a period of 2-3 years. It is possible to maintain the state if it is possible to maintain again in the span to see the change. Please revive the JBL unit of hand. Of course, you can use it for every cone paper manufacturer, of the type. ※ I except for the special type of coating, such as was given. ※ Please check the color image. 500 yen nationwide uniform postage ... Yamato Transport business delivery

http://jbl43.com/

I have no experience with the product. You can contact Kenrick SOUND CO., LTD
    You can find contact info here

Ken ?
    Rick, thinks he is a member here

You can contact Kenji through the mail address on their website, he answers within a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    You can contact Kenji through the mail address on their website, he answers within a few hours.
    I fired off an email to Kenrick Sound. Hopefully they will find time to respond. I could not find Kenji's email specifically but they have info@kenrick...

Quote Originally Posted by archiekaras View Post
    I fired off an email to Kenrick Sound. Hopefully they will find time to respond. I could not find Kenji's email specifically but they have info@kenrick...
    If you find out, please let us know. I have some JBL woofers that are the same model, but from different years, that are not the same "blackness". It would be nice to make them all deep black.

Or, "none more black." (Identify THAT reference!)

Whatever they are doing, I doubt that Kenrick "engineers" are outsmarting original JBL engineering.

If there was some "magic" that could be added to a driver with a paint brush or a spray can, then ...

Well, you know.

IIRC, the sole intent is to improve the look of faded cones... and not change their character or otherwise "improve" the driver.
    This actually does take some thought and consideration.

Fired off an email to Kenrick, so far all they have done is quote me huge $$$ for a recone...Which is understandable as the part is long discontinued...I replied to that email and am awaiting a response where I asked the questions again. I completely understand if they do not want to give away their secrets, but being a little more transparent on this issue can 1) lend a helping hand to the thousands of JBL owners that have some tired cones 2) provide some transparency as to what they are doing and if it changes the character of the speaker or maintains its original sound and is simply cosmetic. Well hopefully they respond soon.

After a couple of emails back and forth, it looks like we get no help from Kenrick Sound. After all they are in the business of restoration and are unwilling to reveal any of their secrets. Would have been nice to know exactly what they are using on the cones, or at least if they have a cost effectie kit available rather just getting huge ridiculous quotes for their woofer refinishing services. A DIY kit spares us the cost of sending items ALL THE WAY TO JAPAN!! Anyways it is what it is I guess.

I would suggest getting hold of an old faded cone from any old driver , pref with the colouring similar to JBL typical cones. Get a hold of Mixol dyes , soluble in alcohol and water and play about with saturation and colour.
    When dry there should be no significant weight gain but the colour will return. Suggest you use a lazy susan like the Japanese chap is doing.

Thread Information