Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which would you buy for $2800 $CAN; 4430 or replica cabinet 4435?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Thanks. I've been hitting it twice a day now since the hunt began. One pair in Edmonton but the owner was super-flakes.

I have family in Edmonton and friends in Calgary that can help ease your fears -handle money and verify the components and quality if this helps ED ?

Best , Rich

Audio forum classifieds, such as CanuckAudioMart, is the end of the speculative line, and where you'll pay full enthusiast price. From yard sale to Kijiji to audio forum. Many non-enthusiasts scavengers bring their stuff there to maximize profit. Be carefull from whom you buy. Always search first in the feedback section.

When I got my 4430's, the guy I bought them from had 4435's for sale as well and we listened to them both. The 4435's were a little louder, but I thought the 4430's imaged better. However, when he played Rush and cranked them louder than I care to have listened, the 4435's really took off - really tight, quick bass that I won't ever forget. However, these were at concert levels that were probably 20db above what I play, and way into long term hearing damage territory. We turned up the 4430's also, to a lower level that was still within XMax, but it was obvious that the 4435's were the one if you wanted to recreate a rock concert. However, I didn't, and really liked the 4430's imaging and price (paid $2k for the 4430's and he was asking $3,750 for the 4435's). I've rarely regretted my decision - I've listened to the speakers in 5 or 6 different rooms over the years in my different living places or offices, and 4435's would have only fit in two of them. I rarely listen to them now as other members here have helped me assemble higher resolution systems, but if TruExtent ever releases a Beryllium diaphragm for the small format drivers, this is probably the speaker I will put it in first, and blow dust off the active crossover for some playtime

I don't know if this helps, but my advice would be to hold out for a mint pair of whatever you can afford, as it's always hard to get your money back out of beaters - the only takers you'll find will be low-ballers.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I would propose a pair of 4430's with a subwoofer. This what I use in my HT. 4435's take up a lot of real estate....
    Yes. That DOES sound promising!

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I have family in Edmonton and friends in Calgary that can help ease your fears -handle money and verify the components and quality if this helps ED ?

Best , Rich
    Thank you. Very kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Audio forum classifieds, such as CanuckAudioMart, is the end of the speculative line, and where you'll pay full enthusiast price. From yard sale to Kijiji to audio forum. Many non-enthusiasts scavengers bring their stuff there to maximize profit. Be carefull from whom you buy. Always search first in the feedback section.
    Yes. That's why I was looking in areas where I could try to audition them first. As mentioned, I've already come across a flake or two.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    When I got my 4430's, the guy I bought them from had 4435's for sale as well and we listened to them both. The 4435's were a little louder, but I thought the 4430's imaged better. However, when he played Rush and cranked them louder than I care to have listened, the 4435's really took off - really tight, quick bass that I won't ever forget. However, these were at concert levels that were probably 20db above what I play, and way into long term hearing damage territory. We turned up the 4430's also, to a lower level that was still within XMax, but it was obvious that the 4435's were the one if you wanted to recreate a rock concert. However, I didn't, and really liked the 4430's imaging and price (paid $2k for the 4430's and he was asking $3,750 for the 4435's). I've rarely regretted my decision - I've listened to the speakers in 5 or 6 different rooms over the years in my different living places or offices, and 4435's would have only fit in two of them. I rarely listen to them now as other members here have helped me assemble higher resolution systems, but if TruExtent ever releases a Beryllium diaphragm for the small format drivers, this is probably the speaker I will put it in first, and blow dust off the active crossover for some playtime

I don't know if this helps, but my advice would be to hold out for a mint pair of whatever you can afford, as it's always hard to get your money back out of beaters - the only takers you'll find will be low-ballers.
    Yes that helps. I appreciate it thanks. I really do want something original and in excellent condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I would propose a pair of 4430's with a subwoofer. This what I use in my HT. 4435's take up a lot of real estate....
    That's what I would do. Or better yet two. Vintage Lansing + modern high quality sub(s) = audio bliss

Thread Information