Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which would you buy for $2800 $CAN; 4430 or replica cabinet 4435?

Which would you buy for $2800 $CAN; 4430 or replica cabinet 4435?

I have happened upon two pair of speakers that I'm trying to decide upon.

...or

All drivers are original and both pairs are said to be in very good condition. All woofers have been re-foamed and look good from the pictures but I have yet to view them in person.

The 4430s have the original cabs but the 4435s have replica cabinets built. Apparently they are made from baltic birch to JBL plans. He has also made some blue grill covers for them.

I believe each pair could be had for the above mentioned price. ( stuff's expensive here in Canada. lol)

Which pair would you go for given the choice?

Thanks,

Warren

I'd say do some critical comparison listening tests.

then decide how long you plan to keep whatever you buy.

If the 4435 sound better and you'll keep them forever...then...it's easy

If the 4430 sounds better and you change speakers often ... then...easy too

IMHO ..the home built cabs won't hold value as well (if you turnover speakers a lot), if you are keeping for rest of your life then cabs make no difference.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'd say do some critical comparison listening tests.

then decide how long you plan to keep whatever you buy.

If the 4435 sound better and you'll keep them forever...then...it's easy

If the 4430 sounds better and you change speakers often ... then...easy too

IMHO ..the home built cabs won't hold value as well (if you turnover speakers a lot), if you are keeping for rest of your life then cabs make no difference.
    I'll keep them, (whichever I choose) for a long time but I do like the idea of original JBL and am considering the end value just in case I decide to sell. Those 4435s are magnificent SOBs though, aren't they?

Might just be the photo, but the staining on the 4435 cab looks pretty blotchy to my eye. Also looks like some sort of glossy finish. Not my cup of tea, but they might still sound like the real deal.

The 4435's are an amazing sounding speaker ,but the cabinets are awful . Thats dead money in a box …. the 4430 are nice ,but seem to be on the high side in terms of price …. Just my opinion ,but neither seem to be a bargain or even good deal ….. unless the 4430's come from Electric Lady land studios !

I'd keep searching if it were me !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    The 4435's are an amazing sounding speaker ,but the cabinets are awful . Thats dead money in a box …. the 4430 are nice ,but seem to be on the high side in terms of price …. Just my opinion ,but neither seem to be a bargain or even good deal ….. unless the 4430's come from Electric Lady land studios !

I'd keep searching if it were me !

Rich
    Yes, I may just keep searching for the better deal.

First, I think that $2800 for a set of 4430 is perhaps farfetched. They often come up for way under $1000.000... Then, would I pay $2800 for a set of replica 4435? Nop. I'd lower the price down to to the price of components and wait to find a set of original cabs. They are often dismantled by people who sell the woofers and tweeters on eBay... A replica remains a replica and will be difficult to sell now. And tomorrow.

I have to agree with Lee, $2800 is a lot of money. These days $1200-2000 for a nice pair of 4430's in Canada, I should think. Although lately there does seem to be a lot of folks looking for some. It kind of reminds me of the frenzied buying of 434X systems years ago. Maybe now we are witnessing a supply/demand thing happening.

A member here, from Montreal, bought last year a set of 4430s for $700 thru kijiji. Which is where you should start searching. And that's where scavengers find the stuff they resell on audio forums for $2800...

I bought my 250Ti's in Vancouver B.C. for 2K US a couple of years back .. great condition

and sold my second set to a buyer who did not mind driving down from BC to Oregon for the right pair.

(same price, but last year)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I have to agree with Lee, $2800 is a lot of money. These days $1200-2000 for a nice pair of 4430's in Canada, I should think. Although lately there does seem to be a lot of folks looking for some. It kind of reminds me of the frenzied buying of 434X systems years ago. Maybe now we are witnessing a supply/demand thing happening.
    Yes. I'm not seeing many for sale at all. Especially in the Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary area.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    hit this link daily ==>> http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/searc...ed_desc&page=1

customize for your search radius , unless you already are ...in which case ignore this post.

Thanks. I've been hitting it twice a day now since the hunt began. One pair in Edmonton but the owner was super-flakes.

I thought that the frequency response of these two systems was the same, with the significant difference being the maximum output level. So the answer to the question of which is better depends only on how loud you want them to play. Are you putting them in an unusually large room?

4435s go lower and are more dramatic looking. 4430 is the more prudent choice but the '35s are closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    4435s go lower and are more dramatic looking. 4430 is the more prudent choice but the '35s are closer to home.
    I would propose a pair of 4430's with a subwoofer. This what I use in my HT. 4435's take up a lot of real estate....

Thread Information