Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would You Own If You Can't Have JBL?

Tannoy or ATC.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    I'm already starting to go with IMF transmissiion line speakers. I've always been intrigued to try a transmission line with a good JBL woofer and see where it would lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Tannoy ..... YUP ! Might be fun in a TL cab.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I had some mid-fi Sony TL-1's . Driver was nothing special, but the TL cabinet sure made them sound a lot better than the sum of the components.
    Hey Mac ..since more than one seem to have had good experiences with transmission line speakers, ...why isn't that design used more ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Revels

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

KEF 107/2

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    KEF 107/2

Next time you're down in my area, stop by - I'll give you a pair for cheap
    -OTOH, I think you have more speakers than I do! As for me, I've got a pair of Sonus Faber Auditor M's that I would have a hard time getting rid of.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Next time you're down in my area, stop by - I'll give you a pair for cheap
    -OTOH, I think you have more speakers than I do! As for me, I've got a pair of Sonus Faber Auditor M's that I would have a hard time getting rid of.
    I had a set of Kef 105/2 and loved them. Too bad you are in Cali. I would have driven for a pair of 107/2

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I had a set of Kef 105/2 and loved them. Too bad you are in Cali. I would have driven for a pair of 107/2
    We bitch & moan about lack of support on legacy JBL stuff - I called KEF about 7 or 8yrs ago on these speakers, and was told even back then that they had no spare parts for them and no support. Mine are missing the top grills and I've got too many more exiting projects than opening up the "Coupled Cavity" or whatever they called it to refoam the woofers, though I know of others that have.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Altec 19s..... I still have a pair after 35 years and love them! GPA makes replacement kits/frams using the factory tooling too....

....none of the other makers including JBL, discussed here can say that, I suppose.

If JBL Was not an option

Happy New Year All......

Would be a little more than $3000.00 dollars...........

Old day picks and grew up with some of these.

Of course Altec Vott

But some more greats.....

Electrovoice Partrician
    KLH model nine
    Quad ESL
    Bozak B-4000

Todays choices

Tannoy Kingdom Royal / Prestige Series
    Quad 2905/2911 ESL
    PMC MB2 XBD SE

Revel f52 is a nice speaker

Westlake,TAD,REY,Oceanway,and so on.big horn systems
    46 lover

I've become a huge fan of Legacy Audio. I still have my 1999 Legacy Focus model speaker as my main speakers. There's no foam to rot out on the woofers or mids and no foam behind the tweeters that turns into goop. They're just about indestructible (I've had to replace nothing so far) and I BLAST them occasionally. And they just sound wonderful. My purchase has encouraged three other friends to buy six pairs of Legacy speakers including three of the Focus model and we've all been extremely happy. The Focus of my vintage can be had for around $2,500. Not bad for a very large, well-built, full-range speaker.

Every time I get the upgrade bug, I go listen to Wilson, Thiel, B&W, and the others but still haven't heard anything under $25K that makes me want to pull the trigger. I am jazzed about the new Legacy Aeris though and I drool over the new JBL Everest…..

I really like my Ohm Walsh F's. They are the right size, shape and sound for my environment. Also really happy that they are hand made in the USA/NY.

The walnut cabinetry is great and most all that listen are impressed. I can still email and get tech support from the company president , John S.

downside ? the drivers were made between 1972-84. For my virtual $3000 spend, the driver upgrade to my cabs is how the money would go (plus get newer tents for them) ...

the reviews on the replacement drivers are extremely good and they give you a 60 day "in-home" satisfaction trial and 3 year warranty.

http://www.ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/f/
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

$3K won't go far on classic vintage so probably;

Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds
    TAD 2401
    ATC 50A(100A >3k)
    Funktion1 Res2 (I've already got some subs to fill out the bottom end...

Greetings, All,

Well, I've had to think about this thread, long and hard, but guess, if I couldn't own JBL's, I'd "make do" with a mint set of Altec Model 19's, and call it good. Not perfect, of course, but in the same vein as the JBL-type sound, and some of the 19's warts can be tamed, if memory serves. For what it's worth.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information